Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:36 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times

Advertisements

[quote=scarabchuck;37684282]If this was truly the case you would not see the racial divide and the angst towards blacks that we see now. Your "one or two" is FAR from actuality.

Here is an example of two cities that border each other, one is predominantly white the other black. Look at the difference in crime ?!? And this is only TWO examples of the thousands of examples just like it.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

But you still have yet to identify how those cities with the bad blacks are somehow related to us specifically, simply because we are black? Why am I, or Marilyn, accountable for the actions or behaviors of blacks in other cities simply because our skin is black? You are not accountable for the actions of whites that have nothing to do with you, or are you?

This is what you don't seem to get. If a white person in the another state shot up 5 people, are you responsible for fixing the image of whites because he tainted it? No you aren't. There is a large percentage of crime in high poverty cities, cities which perhaps have a high population of blacks. But unless I'm living in that city and participating in the crime, then NO I am not responsible or accountable for the actions of the blacks in those cities. You and other ignorant people come online and tell us that we need to do XYZ and resolve XYZ issues in "our communities" without understanding that the actions of other blacks do not in anyway represent who I am, and there is no issue I need to fix or resolve or address. I'm not accountable for anyone but myself and my family.

Yes there might be tons of examples that you can provide that paint the clear differences between black working class high poverty areas and white middle class areas. In high poverty areas there is often large amounts of crime, race aside, the correlation perhaps is that in black cities where the population is working class or barely making it they are typically crime-ridden cities. But these areas don't represent middle class or upper middle class blacks. I myself was raised in an upper middle class city. There were black families that lived in my city and there wasn't any issues. When some of the kids that moved from the city, from the working class/high poverty areas came to my neighborhood and to the schools, the environment changed. But the blacks like myself that grew up in our upper middle class city still behaved the same. It was only this particular group, this subset, that participated or behaved differently from the rest of us.

Plenty of studies have indicated that an upper middle class black family is no different than an upper middle class white family. The differences seen in cities or groups of people is often always tied to socioeconomics.

Google the psychology of oppression by frantz fanon if you really want to understand the mindset of working class or groups of people living in cities of poverty, this will help you understand the mindset the oppositional
Identity, the crime, the learned behaviors that continue with the individuals that often become barriers even once they leave these areas to live in better areas. The generational effect.

^^ this is a much better explanation of the socioeconomic differences in cities that are right next to each other but are completely different.

But something tells me that your more interested in trying to collectively paint black people as this huge group of people that no matter how different each of us might be, we really are just violent criminals to you, and only few blacks are actually model citizens. This is ignorant thinking. you can keep posting stats, and city diff fences and paint blacks collectively with the same brush, but those of us that are actually black, with black families and black friends can tell you that your perception of us is limited and incorrect.

Last edited by Yac; 12-31-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
But you still have yet to identify how those cities with the bad blacks are somehow related to us specifically, simply because we are black? Why am I, or Marilyn, accountable for the actions or behaviors of blacks in other cities simply because our skin is black? You are not accountable for the actions of whites that have nothing to do with you, or are you?

This is what you don't seem to get. If a white person in the another state shot up 5 people, are you responsible for fixing the image of whites because he tainted it? No you aren't. There is a large percentage of crime in high poverty cities, cities which perhaps have a high population of blacks. But unless I'm living in that city and participating in the crime, then NO I am not responsible or accountable for the actions of the blacks in those cities. You and other ignorant people come online and tell us that we need to do XYZ and resolve XYZ issues in "our communities" without understanding that the actions of other blacks do not in anyway represent who I am, and there is no issue I need to fix or resolve or address. I'm not accountable for anyone but myself and my family.

Yes there might be tons of examples that you can provide that paint the clear differences between black working class high poverty areas and white middle class areas. In high poverty areas there is often large amounts of crime, race aside, the correlation perhaps is that in black cities where the population is working class or barely making it they are typically crime-ridden cities. But these areas don't represent middle class or upper middle class blacks. I myself was raised in an upper middle class city. There were black families that lived in my city and there wasn't any issues. When some of the kids that moved from the city, from the working class/high poverty areas came to my neighborhood and to the schools, the environment changed. But the blacks like myself that grew up in our upper middle class city still behaved the same. It was only this particular group, this subset, that participated or behaved differently from the rest of us.

Plenty of studies have indicated that an upper middle class black family is no different than an upper middle class white family. The differences seen in cities or groups of people is often always tied to socioeconomics.

Google the psychology of oppression by frantz fanon if you really want to understand the mindset of working class or groups of people living in cities of poverty, this will help you understand the mindset the oppositional
Identity, the crime, the learned behaviors that continue with the individuals that often become barriers even once they leave these areas to live in better areas. The generational effect.

^^ this is a much better explanation of the socioeconomic differences in cities that are right next to each other but are completely different.

But something tells me that your more interested in trying to collectively paint black people as this huge group of people that no matter how different each of us might be, we really are just violent criminals to you, and only few blacks are actually model citizens. This is ignorant thinking. you can keep posting stats, and city diff fences and paint blacks collectively with the same brush, but those of us that are actually black, with black families and black friends can tell you that your perception of us is limited and incorrect.
I understand your point. And to be honest my replies all started with the OP and his comment pertaining to firearms. This whole thread went astray from there. Our gun violence issues in this country are not due to mass shootings such as this , Newtown , Columbine or others. As tragic as they are they make up a very small percentage. Where are problems lie are in the inner cities , regardless of race. Here in my area the predomenant race is black, therefore I have developed somewhat of an attitude towards them.. due to every news article , every car jacking , every drive by shooting seems to be perpetuated by blacks. Is it right, no, but I can't help how I feel. Do I think every black is going to do wrong , absolutely not but if I'm in downtown Detroit chances are I'm not going to be carjacked by an Asian , or Mexican person.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:

This sounds more like it.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:

This is what you don't seem to get. If a white person in the another state shot up 5 people, are you responsible for fixing the image of whites because he tainted it? No you aren't. There is a large percentage of crime in high poverty cities, cities which perhaps have a high population of blacks. But unless I'm living in that city and participating in the crime, then NO I am not responsible or accountable for the actions of the blacks in those cities. You and other ignorant people come online and tell us that we need to do XYZ and resolve XYZ issues in "our communities" without understanding that the actions of other blacks do not in anyway represent who I am, and there is no issue I need to fix or resolve or address. I'm not accountable for anyone but myself and my family

Stop making sense Faith!!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I understand your point. And to be honest my replies all started with the OP and his comment pertaining to firearms. This whole thread went astray from there. Our gun violence issues in this country are not due to mass shootings such as this , Newtown , Columbine or others. As tragic as they are they make up a very small percentage. Where are problems lie are in the inner cities , regardless of race. Here in my area the predomenant race is black, therefore I have developed somewhat of an attitude towards them.. due to every news article , every car jacking , every drive by shooting seems to be perpetuated by blacks. Is it right, no, but I can't help how I feel. Do I think every black is going to do wrong , absolutely not but if I'm in downtown Detroit chances are I'm not going to be carjacked by an Asian , or Mexican person.
For what it's worth, I believe in gun ownership.

Guns aren't the problem. It's the people who USE them that are.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:18 PM

108 posts, read 114,536 times
He must be a "Christian" who is shooting the people barbarically. These shootings are very regular in America now. Is this all Christianity preach about?

Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It was never diagnosed he had PTSD, but it's better to roll with that than to admit he's just your typical multiple killing murderer with no redeeming qualities.

He wasn't "crazy" enough to kill his kids now was he?

Mental illness is ALWAYS the white male killer's saving grace no matter his socio-economic or educational status.

I guess Timothy McVeigh was just "misunderstood".

The sick freak that lived in the mountains with no electricity or running water who sent bombs to murder people was some masterful "genius", because he wrote a "manifesto" detailing why he was a nutcase.

But let that be a minority or worse - a MUSLIM and the description would be completely different.

Ebony Wilkerson case: Judge accepts plea from van-into-surf mom - Orlando Sentinel

black woman in my area gets off cus of insanity

Old 12-19-2014, 02:00 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,324 times
Quote:
Funny how the crazy white dudes doesn't represent the entire white race in America, but yet the negatives of one or two black people is the problem of ALL blacks in this country no matter what their ethnic or cultural makeup is. As long as they can trace their roots from Africa, then the one or two criminal blacks are our sole responsibility.

The Columbine killers weren't BOTH crazy. You're gonna tell me they shared the same "mental illness"? Really??

Well, why can't blacks and other minorities be "mentally ill" when they do horrendous crap too?
There's crazy black people doing stuff every day in America...anyone who robs and shoots someone for no reason is a insane nutcase to me but that stuffs considered "normal" to a lot of blacks..

Old 12-19-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
There's crazy black people doing stuff every day in America...anyone who robs and shoots someone for no reason is a insane nutcase to me but that stuffs considered "normal" to a lot of blacks..
No, that's what WHITE PEOPLE DO.

Blacks usually have a "reason" for why they shot someone.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:34 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
No, that's what WHITE PEOPLE DO.

Blacks usually have a "reason" for why they shot someone.
I'm sure these kids would beg to differ...

5 shot, including 2 children outside Detroit home | News - Home

Family devastated after 12-year-old boy shot, killed in Detroit - WXYZ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events