Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 03:53 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Another mass shooting in America. I'm losing count
Have we had enough yet, America, or is there no end to our insane obsession with guns?
How many more of these events are we going to shrug off as a small price to pay for our 'liberty'?
And knives.....and "swords".....and axes......and chain saws. Don't forget those either.

This news report says that cutting instruments were used in the crime as well:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0JV2VX20141217

How accurate the report is, I don't know.....but I wouldn't put it past a Marine Reservist to be quite adept at using knives and related, well, leave it up to the beholder of whether they are weapons or tools.

But one item about knives is that as an American, I was raised around a lot of them as well. From the Swiss Army knife we might give at a graduation to the knives collections or tools (ie, Leatherman) given at Christmas, to how easy it is to have a nice choice of machetes at Wally World to our wonderfully huge dive knives, I would say we have quite an obsession with things that cut, too.

Why? Is it because we know that even without the gun, we can still harm others? Perhaps but I rather believe it is that we know that with a knife, we can take care of many instances in life ourselves, because with a knife, we feel, we know we are independent.

Finally, on a different point, if people want to harm another, they will find a way. Perhaps in America, it is the gun. Perhaps in India, it is to use fire.
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/26/wo...-in-india.html
http://nfpatoday.blog.nfpa.org/2014/...a-journal.html
https://www.ctc.usma.edu/posts/fire-...rorist-attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
to gun enthusiasts: Why can't we just make a law where everyone has a right to a gun unless they're a violent criminal or crazy...BUT if someone who IS a criminal or crazy gets caught with YOUR gun(if you sold it to them or they found it in your house cus they're a crazy relative of yours and you didnt hide it well enough, etc. YOU get a minimum 1 year prison sentence? If they forced you to watch your gun that much then maybe these nutcases would have a harder time getting their hands on a gun. I'm all for people having guns yo defend themselves from the endless amount of violent criminals in these streets but their should be sever punishments if you let your gun get in the hands of these people or people with mental issues/ptsd.
Are you sure you don't work for the insurance companies or work for a government concept that one must be forced to buy insurance? This kind of thinking of where the person is responsible for those who trespass is why I have such a large liability policy on my land. It is to safeguard against the trespasser, say a poacher, coming uninvited onto my land, getting injured, and then suing me because it happened on my land.

Or it is like blaming the rape victim for the attack because of how they were dressed.

"Why can't"? Because we need to stop blaming the victim for the actions that another wrongfully conducted against them.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-18-2014 at 04:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Because ALL black people are thugs.

Because ALL black people live in the ghetto and weren't raised correctly.

Because ALL black people are menaces to society

Because 1 black person represents ALL black people
Me being a racist or not , I don't agree with all of your statements. I will say though I've watched three neighborhoods in my local area crumble since the 80's to now. These were predominately white middle to upper middle class areas. Very low crime. Now one two of the cities have shootings , car jackings , murders and robberies on a regular basis. The third city , the one I currently live in is starting to fall, several shootings this year, a few murders, car jackings and home invasions. And guess what, it isn't due to Asians moving in, or Indians, or Mexicans , or any other race, it is due to blacks moving in. The high school I graduated from had a couple of black kids when I went there, zero issues now it is over 90% black and the damn place has metal detectors. I hear they have police raids for drugs and weapons a few times a school year. Is it just a coincidence that all these things just happened to change when blacks started taking over the areas... highly doubtful. This is a serious problem, one that needs addressing, by whom I don't know but this is the major issue not guns not some nutcase (white or black) shooting up some place.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:46 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
More senseless wars that send these guys home with PTSD, more killings.
It was never diagnosed he had PTSD, but it's better to roll with that than to admit he's just your typical multiple killing murderer with no redeeming qualities.

He wasn't "crazy" enough to kill his kids now was he?

Mental illness is ALWAYS the white male killer's saving grace no matter his socio-economic or educational status.

I guess Timothy McVeigh was just "misunderstood".

The sick freak that lived in the mountains with no electricity or running water who sent bombs to murder people was some masterful "genius", because he wrote a "manifesto" detailing why he was a nutcase.

But let that be a minority or worse - a MUSLIM and the description would be completely different.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Is it just a coincidence that all these things just happened to change when blacks started taking over the areas... highly doubtful. This is a serious problem, one that needs addressing, by whom I don't know but this is the major issue not guns not some nutcase (white or black) shooting up some place.

That still doesn't represent ALL black people which was my point.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Mental illness is ALWAYS the white male killer's saving grace no matter his socio-economic or educational status.

I have noticed that as well Marilyn.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Nor does a few crazy white dudes that shoot up things. Nor does it represent the majority of the US citizens regardless of race. Sadly it does represent a large portion of blacks, larger than any other race.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Some people just feel comfortable seeing blacks as disgusting low down human beings no matter what.

There's a post in a thread about the First Lady talking about a racist experience she had and someone posts some nonsense about affirmative action and how their white relative couldn't get a job on the fire department for "many years", because "lower qualified minorities" were needed to fill the positions.

What does this have to do with Michelle feeling as if she was racially profiled in Target?

Old 12-18-2014, 07:59 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
It was never diagnosed he had PTSD, but it's better to roll with that than to admit he's just your typical multiple killing murderer with no redeeming qualities.

He wasn't "crazy" enough to kill his kids now was he?

I guess Timothy McVeigh was just "misunderstood".

The sick freak that lived in the mountains with no electricity or running water who sent bombs to murder people was some masterful "genius", because he wrote a "manifesto" detailing why he was a nutcase.

But let that be a minority or worse - a MUSLIM and the description would be completely different.
More victimization on your behalf. Does it ever get old? Btw, Timothy McVeigh was executed.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Some people just feel comfortable seeing blacks as disgusting low down human beings no matter what.

Agreed.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Nor does a few crazy white dudes that shoot up things. Nor does it represent the majority of the US citizens regardless of race. Sadly it does represent a large portion of blacks, larger than any other race.
Funny how the crazy white dudes doesn't represent the entire white race in America, but yet the negatives of one or two black people is the problem of ALL blacks in this country no matter what their ethnic or cultural makeup is. As long as they can trace their roots from Africa, then the one or two criminal blacks are our sole responsibility.

The Columbine killers weren't BOTH crazy. You're gonna tell me they shared the same "mental illness"? Really??

Well, why can't blacks and other minorities be "mentally ill" when they do horrendous crap too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events