Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:32 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,564 times

Advertisements

Calgary mother's unlocked SUV stolen with baby in the back seat | CTV News

Out of Calgary, on Dec 22nd.

The Mother took her two-year old inside to a WalMart but decided it would be a good idea to leave her baby in the car... Doors unlocked... While the SUV was still running.
Thief ended up taking the SUV but pulled off to the side of the road, flagged a car down and asked them to dial 911 or take the baby to a hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 08:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Car thief is apparently a more responsible parent .

Old 12-24-2014, 08:53 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Wait ... wait ... she LEFT HER BABY in the unlocked running car ... AND SHE WASN'T CHARGED WITH CHILD ENDANGERMENT?!?!?

I know the story is supposed to be about the bad guy who had a change of heart, but can we really ignore what the mother did?! WOW!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,564 times
Yeah it's absolutely horrible on the Mother's part.
It's one thing to leave your newborn alone in a car... Another to leave the doors unlocked... And a whole different level to also leave the car running.
Clearly a moron, this person. I wish we knew more about what her reaction was to see the car gone... probably played the "Oh I'm shocked and I can't believe this would ever happen!" bit.

...surprised she didn't leave her purse on the dashboard in plain view as well... Nah, she remembered the purse but not the baby lol.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:38 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,069 times
Oh please. The thief is a thief, period. Parenting had nothing to do with this as far as I'm concerned.

I think at times leaving a child in the car is more sensible than taking them indoors, and in fact in the past have done so myself. When it's cold, wet, rainy, and a child is sleeping, I think it's safer in the car where it's warm than it is to risk them being hit by a stray car or become sick from the wet cold, and to disturb them from their necessary nap. Doing so, say, while paying for gas or checking the mail in a small-town post office where you can practically touch the car from where your PO box, I don't see parental negligence in that.

The fault lies with the thief, period.

Granted, it would have been better had she locked the car, as I once saw someone do--she left the car running but she locked it with a second key. That would have been better. I watched her--she did this, went to the ATM, withdrew the money, and was back in probably 60-90 seconds. Had someone stolen her car, I'd considered her a victim, not a perpetrator of negligence. Still, she did show some due car by locking her car, and the mother here probably should've done likewise.

Otherwise, I do not fault this mother. This is not the same deal as those who leave their children in the car for hours while they're gambling or shopping, or to where the car is hot during the summertime etc. The fault lies 100% with the thief who couldn't keep his hands to himself and respect someone else's property. Period.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:44 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Wait ... wait ... she LEFT HER BABY in the unlocked running car ... AND SHE WASN'T CHARGED WITH CHILD ENDANGERMENT?!?!?

I know the story is supposed to be about the bad guy who had a change of heart, but can we really ignore what the mother did?! WOW!
I completely agree. I think she is just as guilty of a crime as the thief is. At least the thief had enough sense to remove the baby from a perilous situation while the mom didn't.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I completely agree. I think she is just as guilty of a crime as the thief is. At least the thief had enough sense to remove the baby from a perilous situation while the mom didn't.
The thief was smart enough to know he could have been in really deep ____ if anything happen to that baby.Too bad the mother was not that smart. Social Services should pay her a visit.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:00 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Oh please. The thief is a thief, period. Parenting had nothing to do with this as far as I'm concerned.

I think at times leaving a child in the car is more sensible than taking them indoors, and in fact in the past have done so myself. When it's cold, wet, rainy, and a child is sleeping, I think it's safer in the car where it's warm than it is to risk them being hit by a stray car or become sick from the wet cold, and to disturb them from their necessary nap. Doing so, say, while paying for gas or checking the mail in a small-town post office where you can practically touch the car from where your PO box, I don't see parental negligence in that.
I'm guessing (hoping?) you're not a parent.

She left her car and went inside a store. She could not "practically touch the car." And this was not a small town, this was a city. There is no matter of convenience or comfort that makes this a safer choice than taking the baby with her.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:16 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
I lived in Calgary with a baby and I still took her inside each and every store regardless of the weather. Your child is not safer in a car away from parental supervision.

You might as well leave your child in their crib at home which some parents unbelievably do.

Babies need constant supervision. They are incredibly vulnerable to freezing weather, fumes entering the car due to various reasons, kidnapping, and a car thief.

Let's say she goes into the store because it's snowing and freezing outside. Her baby is in the car, but no one else knows the baby is in there. For whatever reason she is hurt or incapacitated. Who would know the child is out there? That is beyond dangerous.

I used to work retail and have seen people fall and hit their heads, have heart attacks, faint, etc...

Take your baby inside with you, or get someone to watch the baby while you run errands.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,249 times
If this shyguylh person is still a parent to younger children under 12 years old or so, he should have CPS called on him immediately. What a completely asinine rant that was, I can't believe what I just read. I'm in shock that someone could literally be that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events