Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 12:45 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times

Advertisements

He's right. I would label snipers more as a necessity but definitely not heroes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 02:50 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
There's an empty chair Clint can talk to about this if he wants....

Old 01-19-2015, 03:03 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
If it were not for the soldiers skilled as a sharp shooters, who put their lives on the line for us, this real world Jabba the Hut couldn't sit in his mansion and yammer on about what is wrong with the USA.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
He's right. I would label snipers more as a necessity but definitely not heroes.
Well, that is probably just the current terminology, the use of the word. The word "Hero" is very popular in the American language, (ie, HEB ads, Go home a Hero) and its meaning and significance might be lost. Sort of like when some others in their deaths were called "Rock Stars" and to me, that was an insult. Growing up in the 60's, the significance passed to me was, essentially, that a Rock Star avoided going to war or even encourage actions against it. Apparently, now, however, being called a Rock Star is a great compliment.

As far who is a hero, well, two things. First, there are no useless positions in the military; everyone has a job to do that contributes to the mission. Secondly, "There is no shame in being part of the Regulars".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I always hated snipers in Unreal Tournament. Especially on Face or Lava Giant. Cowards.
Oh, I love that Classic Sniper Rifle!

Anyhow, I can understand how one might honestly hold that view point. Quite a while back, a co worker told me, "Tamm, you worry me. You strike me as the kind to jump out of the bushes with a gun to try to do me in." I responded with

"Heck, you don't have to worry about that. If we ever come to blows, I'll take you out at a few hundred yards with a sniper rifle." His immediate response was,

"Coward.".......

........................it seems to be a common factor in at least western civilization that if you won't face your enemy and give him a chance to fight back, you are a coward. Be it go after him with a sniper rifle or engage him with a U-Boat, it just wasn't fighting fair......in that Victorian notion.

Do I hold that opinion? No, for at least two reasons. First of all, fighting fair can get one killed. For example, we do not fight one to one but go to overwhelm the enemy with better numbers and superior fire power. That's just the way to do it.

Secondly, what would be the F-14 with its radar taking out a target 100 miles away with the Phoenix missile? What's an anti-ship missile that you don't see until seconds before the hit? What's a torpedo that doesn't give any warning until the BOOM?

This is the way we fight wars. It may be the pits to be hit, to have no chance to fight back, but that's what war is about.

Now, whether Mr. Moore is being honest, though, is a different point. Quite frankly, I think he is just looking for attention.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:09 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
Who cares what that fat pig says. He is a shallow hypocrite who does not follow his own crap he spews out.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Can't he just stick to being fat? He needs to visit a military site with his views.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Wonder what he thinks about drone pilots or people who shoot from a Nuclear Sub ?
They are all kills from a distance.

He's just envious of someone making a decent movie.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM

127 posts, read 178,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Now, whether Mr. Moore is being honest, though, is a different point. Quite frankly, I think he is just looking for attention.
I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times
If he really feels this way, he should head to a bar frequented by SEALs and explain his premise to them.

I'm sure they'd love to hear how their brothers who provide cover during dangerous operations are just a bunch of cowards. Maybe they'd buy him a beer and give him a standing ovation.

Or they may kick his tail. It could go either way really.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:25 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
He's just a big man with a small following trying to stay relevant. Like Kim K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events