Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 AM

165 posts, read 169,635 times

Advertisements

President Obama came out strongly Monday for the concept of net neutrality, saying that "an open Internet is essential to the American economy, and increasingly to our very way of life."

In a written statement, Obama asked the Federal Communications Commission to "create a new set of rules protecting net neutrality," and to ensure that phone and cable companies will not be able "to act as a gatekeeper, restricting what you can do or see online."

The FCC is nearing a decision...
Obama endorses net neutrality

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 AM

610 posts, read 698,631 times
This is scare tactics.

Net neutrality will be the first step toward government control of the internet. They've just framed it in a clever way to make you think you're sticking it to the big guys.

Last edited by leavingIL; 11-11-2014 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
What is next? When so many Americans are worried about their jobs, paying for expensive health care insurance, ISIS, Ebola.... and now the Gov. wants to get involved with our last source for finding a bit of escape and relaxation The internet.... This net neutrality also extends to cable TV. What will we have left? Well for now I can still go to the shooting range and exercise my second amendment rights.................................

Old 11-11-2014, 09:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What is next? When so many Americans are worried about their jobs, paying for expensive health care insurance, ISIS, Ebola.... and now the Gov. wants to get involved with our last source for finding a bit of escape and relaxation The internet.... This net neutrality also extends to cable TV. What will we have left? Well for now I can still go to the shooting range and exercise my second amendment rights.................................
I thought "net neutrality" was a good thing, all that's standing between us and paying more to watch a movie on your computer than in a movie theatre (among other issues).

Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I thought "net neutrality" was a good thing, all that's standing between us and paying more to watch a movie on your computer than in a movie theatre (among other issues).
It is, but some folks have a knee jerk reaction whenever Obama's name is invoked. They'll always find some way to criticize. He could find the cure for cancer, and they would accuse him of an evil plot to put oncologists out of business.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
I thought "net neutrality" was a good thing...
It is.

Another thread on the subject here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rnet-free.html

Old 11-11-2014, 10:21 AM

993 posts, read 1,560,219 times
Quote:
You're right, it is. This definitely goes on the list of positive positions that Obama has taken since becoming President.

What's strange to me is how Washington discerns which shady corporate interests they will defend versus which ones they won't. I guess the cable provider lobbyists haven't figured out how to swoon our politicians quite like the banking, oil, defense, correctional, and agricultural industries have. Thank goodness for that!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
This is a step towards censorship of political critics online. Another part of the proposal is to offer free high speed internet to those who can't afford it,...translation-increase cost for paying customers so internet providers can afford to give it to others for free. Nothing is free because someone has to pay.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It is, but some folks have a knee jerk reaction whenever Obama's name is invoked. They'll always find some way to criticize. He could find the cure for cancer, and they would accuse him of an evil plot to put oncologists out of business.

When he's bold face lied so many times, what makes you think this time will be different. Troops out of Iraq, troops back in Iraq. If you like your plan you can keep your plan; if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor. The attack on our embassy was about an internet video.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
To be honest I don't know what to think about this issue. I'm seeing lots of rhetoric but not much on specifics. What exactly is net neutrality, beyond the talking point of a "free and open internet"? That can mean anything. And what specifically do opponents think is going to happen if it is passed? Is this just a Trojan horse? Specifically what do you think the government is trying to sneak through with this? I can sympathize with anyone who has a natural distrust for this administration and I can also sympathize with anyone who has a natural distrust for the cable companies but until we can get past the talking points I'm not sure we really know what is being proposed here, and why we should or should not go along with it. Do we have the exact written language of what these new regulations are supposed to be here or are we just going on the public statements made by the politicians and media talking heads from either side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events