Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:42 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times

Advertisements

A gruesome incident to say the least. But I'd like to get a feel for what people think about how this person is being treated particularly her bail, and then as this case move forward - what we think the punishment should be. The thread title is a mistype, one worker was injured.

Facts:
1. Mountain Brook is our Beverly Hills so to speak.
2. Her family has money.
3. She is out on 17,500 bail and has a well known local criminal defense lawyer.

The second story gives a better account of the events during and after the crash then the first:

Quote:
A Mountain Brook woman is charged with assault after authorities say she hit a construction worker early Saturday in Birmingham and then fled the scene.
The crash happened about 12:45 a.m. in the 2600 block of Lane Park Road. Birmingham police spokesman Lt. Sean Edwards said police responded to the scene and found a white GMC Yukon with front-end damage.
Mountain Brook police and fire were already on the scene, Edwards said, and told Birmingham officers that 26-year-old Amanda Brown, the granddaughter of Vulcan Materials Founder Glenn Ireland, was driving the Yukon when she struck a construction worker who was working the area. Brown struck the worker, pinning him in between her bumper and a bulldozer, Edwards said.
The crash severed one of Bobby Joe Smith's legs, and partially severed the other. His co-workers used duct tape to bind his legs to keep him from bleeding out, Edwards said. He was taken to UAB Hospital where he is in stable condition. He has lost his right foot, and may lose his left leg.
This link has better details, but also a gory description that is not for the squeamish:

Family prays construction worker struck by SUV in alleged DUI does not lose second leg | AL.com

Quote:
Beckom said that after the wreck, Brown attempted to drive away. "We wouldn't let her go,'' he said. "She tried to use our cell phones to call her Dad and then she just kind of walked off."
Authorities said Brown, a special education teacher with no criminal history, walked to her apartment which wasn't too far from the accident scene. She had driven from her parents' home, which was only one-quarter of a mile away from her own apartment.
Mountain Brook police found Brown at her apartment and took Birmingham police there. When Birmingham officers arrived at the location where Brown was, she spontaneously stated to officers "I was under the influence when I did it," Edwards said.
Brown is charged with felony leaving the scene of an accident with injuries and first-degree assault which includes DUI. She was booked into the Birmingham City Jail and then transferred to the Jefferson County Jail where her bond is set at $17,500. She was released from jail Saturday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 04:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
A gruesome incident to say the least. But I'd like to get a feel for what people think about how this person is being treated particularly her bail,
Nor sure I understand the question....do you think the bail was too high or too low?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
She'll be treated with kid gloves and receive a slap on the wrist. Life will go on for her. She is rich and she didn't care about the guy she ran over, not even enough to stay and make sure he was ok. Daddy will make it better for her as will the Prosecutor.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I hope she does some serious time. But she got low bail because no one died, had no prior record and she is not a likely flight risk, as well as because she had a good lawyer.

Moreover I hope this guy gets the bulk of her future earnings and any inheritance she's due. Though she'll probably end up marrying and doing the SAHM thing, so I doubt the earnings will be much.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Nor sure I understand the question....do you think the bail was too high or too low?
I thought it was too low.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:16 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
No duh!?! The bail is too low, a joke to say the least.

Her lawyer will likely use the "affluenza defense" that she is too rich and spoiled to know right from wrong or have to go to prison.

She should do hard time and never be allowed to drive ever again.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
something...something...something...guns

Old 05-06-2016, 03:21 PM

She got probation after a blind plea. The victim was awarded in a civil suit and asked the judge to give her probation.

Mountain Brook woman gets probation for drunken crash that took construction worker's leg | AL.com

Old 05-06-2016, 06:33 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Oh my, a tragic story. I feel really sorry for the trauma she must have endured.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Of course the victim asked for her to be given probation. It was most likely a condition of the financial settlement he received from the family. I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't have been so agreeable to it otherwise. This woman got the best outcome money could buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events