Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:03 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times

Advertisements

Does this mean all Americans get a cut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Who cares? If I had it and died, I wouldn't care who got it if I didn't have immediate family.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:41 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Drop in the bucket. The Federal Government spends that in less than 30 seconds.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Old 05-23-2015, 08:24 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
What a foolish and wasteful move. You don't give money to GOVERNMENTS, for chrissakes....give the money to PEOPLE, individuals, who need it, and can use it to improve their lives.

These people were fools - indoctrinated or uneducated/ignorant fools.
If you are not an immigrant, and didn't live or see what life was like for people like the gentleman donor, you cannot presume to know he was a fool, nor ignorant or uneducated. And, most importantly, you cannot understand he and his wife's motivation. Clearly the couple felt sufficiently moved to make the gift. As an immigrant, I understand why they would want to do this. But as a former fundraiser for the homeless, I might choose a different avenue for such a gift. I have seen donors give large gifts for many reasons....one can never question their motivation but should have gratitude for such kindness.

So from me, I say "thank you" to the departed couple

Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
If you are not an immigrant, and didn't live or see what life was like for people like the gentleman donor, you cannot presume to know he was a fool, nor ignorant or uneducated. And, most importantly, you cannot understand he and his wife's motivation. Clearly the couple felt sufficiently moved to make the gift. As an immigrant, I understand why they would want to do this. But as a former fundraiser for the homeless, I might choose a different avenue for such a gift. I have seen donors give large gifts for many reasons....one can never question their motivation but should have gratitude for such kindness.

So from me, I say "thank you" to the departed couple

Given the amount of money they left, I’d say they did better than the American born fools who have nothing for retirement money saved.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It appears, as I suspected, that this couple greatly appreciated the opportunity the United States offered them for a fresh start. Immigrants who have lived under oppressive conditions from their own governments understand the freedoms in America (at least a half century ago) better than our own citizens. The times, they are a changing.

This gift is sweet and beautiful, coming from the heart of this couple who was so grateful to their new country. It is sad that the money will be squandered by corruption and waste.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I can understand why they did it but I think it would be money miss used. The government can't even figure out how to spend our taxes properly or even how to tax US citizens to begin with.

It would have been better for them to have left their money to a local charity they trusted that would distribute the money fairly. Had it been me, I would have left it to several animal shelters personally I know are honest and can always use the help.

If they wanted to leave the money to US citizens, they could have found some non-profits that help out people.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Given the amount of money they left, I’d say they did better than the American born fools who have nothing for retirement money saved.
Yep! I suspect they never got caught up in that whole "Keeping up with Jones's" thing. That's a sure way to squander money.

American's have long been blessed. Sadly, many don't realize it. What many don't realize is that us immigrants are often more patriot than those born here. We appreciate the opportunity to live in free country where opportunities abound for the hard working folks willing to make use of them. And, given the opportunity, we give back whenever we can and with gratitude - it is our obligation. I think the couple's gift was more a statement, than what they felt the gift could do. We all know this country isn't perfect, but rather than whine about it, if we feel so strongly, we can change it.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:03 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Why didn't they just give the money to a Wall Street hedge fund slime, a foreign banker, The Clinton Foundation, or some illegal alien...that's where the money is going to wind up anyway.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:13 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
This couple might as well just have taken the money and thrown it in the Puget Sound to float away. What a waste. The local Humane Society or food bank could have put that money to good use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events