Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:25 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Well that's not going to happen so you will always need welfare and if they cut it expect crime to rise.
China proves this theory wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Well, it is true but wont ever happen. Many stay at the minimum level because they are able to get and stay on walfare. One tenant of ours told us about a job he could of taken, very good pay for entry level, but he turned it down because he would loose his food stamps. People no longer care about bettering themselves.
Bingo. Cut off the food stamps, they will find work.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Bingo. Cut off the food stamps, they will find work.
Find work where if there are no openings at the current time?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
When we lived in Hawaii, I worked in a methadone clinic part time (nurse, great money, only 2 hours each morning), I can not BEGIN to tell you the number of "homeless" meth addicts that told me they lived in "XYZ" state up north mainland and were rounded up in Sept and asked if they wanted to go "somewhere warm for the winter so you do not freeze to death", then were arranged to transit to Honolulu to sleep on the picnic tables and park benches and beaches. UGLY but true!
Actually the Honolulu Advertiser and others have already proven that to be false. The majority are those who went to Hawaii for the good life of fun and sun without thinking about reality and they got a rude awakening. It was easier for them to blame someone for rounding them up and sending them to Hawaii (that is actually illegal under federal law) versus admitting they made the move on their own and it was a miserable failure. Didn't one of the TV news stations interview someone about this and it turned out they had borrowed money from family to move to Hawaii to find themselves? I understand it only was news worthy because the family wanted their money repaid!

Old 05-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Find work where if there are no openings at the current time?
If someone is hungry they will find work.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:49 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
If someone is hungry they will find work.
But if they can't find work the kids will starve which is what welfare is all about.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:13 PM

469 posts, read 398,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Those type of people on SSI /disablitlty/foster parents etc will NOT be cut off its just the free loafers
I want free loafers! Where can I get these free loafers? Do they have tennis shoes, too?

Old 05-25-2015, 02:16 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,891,666 times
For those who truly can't work I don't believe in limits. However people like baby mama/daddies should be cut. It should be like unemployment where you have to list places you applied and willing to take anything. We have too many freeloaders.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:32 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
Quote:
Then they had no business bringing kids into this world they can't support.

Two choices present themselves.
  • Either the baby mama and baby daddy who sired them learns to take responsibility to feed & cloth them. That means doing the hard work to get job skills where you get paid more than the minimum.
  • Or, remove the kids and put them in a home.
I have always felt this way too. Every time someone would mention that they couldn't afford to have the baby, they would have to get welfare to pay for the kids being born, I would think, Well, if you can't even pay for having them, how in the heck are you going to pay for raising them? Wouldn't contraceptives be a little cheaper? Like, free, from Planned Parenthood. Heck, even the Catholics believe in it now. I guess they think God changed his mind and now they don't have to have a kid every year. So, if someone does say something like that, they get indignant and say "Well, nobody can tell me how many kids I can have!" If someone has to have welfare pay for the kids being born, it just stands to reason welfare will be involved throughout their lives, or whenever they cut it off because of age, I guess 18?

When it's brought up whether the government should tell people how many kids they should have, they really get upset, and I do understand that. I don't think they need their noses in our personal lives, but, the government is out a heck of a lot of money on welfare recipients. They could really use that money to give themselves another raise, or study rocks, or the mating habits of grasshoppers. They're supposedly always spending millions of dollars on stupid things like that. I say it's just a front, to shell out more money for themselves. Who cares about hold old small rocks are, or a grasshoppers mating habits ? Except for National Geographic.

Quote:
Well that's not going to happen so you will always need welfare and if they cut it expect crime to rise.
This is something I hadn't thought about. The state would have to be pro active and work with companies to hire people who have been on welfare. Did the article say "work or volunteer"? Everyone could use volunteers. I agree that salaries have to be taken into account so no adults or kids would go hungry. No one should go hungry in this "land of plenty".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Well, it is true but wont ever happen. Many stay at the minimum level because they are able to get and stay on walfare. One tenant of ours told us about a job he could of taken, very good pay for entry level, but he turned it down because he would loose his food stamps. People no longer care about bettering themselves.
That's disgusting. It would be hard to respect someone like that.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
But if they can't find work the kids will starve which is what welfare is all about.
I already gave a solution for that. If they can't feed their kids, which they decided to bring into the world, then they are irresponsible parents and the state should put them in a foster home. Give the child support to someone who will see to a proper upbringing of these children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events