Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
And the more minimum wage increased, the McDonald's prices will continue to sky rocket.
one can only hope..maybe if they sky rocket enough people quit eating that nasty calorie bomb crap and their health will improve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
There are plenty of full time minimum wage and higher jobs in the skilled and unskilled trade field. I'm hiring a few this week.... look on craigslist... plenty of these types of jobs available.
sure there are people intentionally opt to try to juggle several part time jobs rather than work at one full time because well..gee I don't know why they would do that

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Forget fishing..deal with reality. There are very few minimum wage jobs that are full time. Most are 16-25 hours a week, and a good majority of them have shifts and days off that vary weekly or monthly which makes it near impossible to work a second or third job. Many other jobs only offer split shifts, so before you lose your money & end up with a bunch of stale donuts just go out and talk to the hiring manager about all these jobs, ask about scheduling and tell them you will be working 2 or 3 other jobs - then come back here and tell us how easy it is.
For starters I just did finish doing exactly what you suggested and you should know that if you paid attention to what I just posted.
I guess you were just being facetious or obtuse then
Maybe you should take your own advice and go around asking those questions. Not only are jobs available (as others have claimed they were not), but we already have an idea of how he can work out his community service hours into a work schedule, depending on which place/s might hire him. Also keep in mind that getting hired for part time work is a foot in the door. You do well and excel, you will get more hours. Most of those entry level jobs I took eventually led to greater hours/money. In almost every case when I was ready to move on, my employer wanted me to stay and offered more to keep me.
They only do that for the people who work hard and go above and beyond. The ones just putting in their time until they get their checks will not get ahead.

I keep hearing from certain posters how hard it is, and while I am not saying it would be easy, I am factually saying it can be done. Not only did I do it in the past when I was starting out, but I could do it again today if I needed to.

BTW - Fishing is reality, and many people fish off bridges, canal banks, piers, lakes, etc. to put food on the table, instead of playing video games, texting, being on Facebook, etc.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You don't work in a real market
Prior to Real Estate I opened 26 Glass Companies and employed over 400 people.

I do live in a real market / world.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
one can only hope..maybe if they sky rocket enough people quit eating that nasty calorie bomb crap and their health will improve
Right. Because the alternatives are just so much healthier, right?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Right. Because the alternatives are just so much healthier, right?
almost anything is healthier than grease laden fast food fries and burgers, what are you talking about?

Old 06-03-2015, 10:56 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't know what era you were living in or talking about, but I was working several minimum wage jobs to get by. That didn't even include the seasonal work like selling Christmas trees for tips so I could afford to buy a few presents for people.
I can go out today and get a handful of jobs, most of them probably paying minimum wage. As a matter of fact I helped a friend out a few weeks ago by going into a mall and picking up applications. Places like Subway, Pet Smart, Chevron, etc. all have help wanted signs.
I'd bet dollars to donuts with variable scheduling I could do shift work just like I did when I was struggling to get by.

Things haven't changed that much, it is peoples attitudes that have. They feel entitled and don't want to "break their back for minimum wage work".
Fine, just don't come to me and expect to have a pity party. I'll give you one fish to feed you for the next day, when I teach you to fish for yourself. Learn and earn, you have a full belly. Refuse and snooze, wake up with an empty stomach.
I was there. Things have completely changed (for the worse).

I have no idea why people feel the need to sell this lie that things were so terrible in prior decades. They weren't, they were MUCH better.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM

52 posts, read 49,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Uh. Sure you can.

Min wage around here pays about $280-300 a week (full time). Equate that to roughly $1,200 a month. An average 1-bedroom efficiency apartment runs $350/month here. Electricity (if you are frugal): $60. Water + trash pickup: $20. Total about ~$450/month. Left over money: $750+ a month to cover phone, food, gas, etc. But a used car and get basic insurance. DO NOT lease a car and pay full insurance.

Basic insurance: $60/month. Prepaid phone: $30 month. Gas: $50 month. You still have enough left over for food, toiletry and personal items...

If your jobs gives you healthcare insurance and dental, you're set.
IT IS DO-ABLE as long as you don't expect to live like a king on min. wage.
I live in a smaller town. Stay out of big cities and high-end communities and you will be fine on that income.
$350/month!??? Which state do you live in??

Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM

52 posts, read 49,600 times
Minimum wage here in MD is 8.25, so that's about 330/week. An average one bedroom is about 750-900. 750 for a crappy area, and closer to 900 for a decent area. Let's say you get the cheapest apartment, 750, you have about 570/month to cover food, gas, car insurance, car payments, phone, etc. So you could barely get by on a full-time minimum wage job.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Prior to Real Estate I opened 26 Glass Companies and employed over 400 people.

I do live in a real market / world.
Not currently. And I'd say your life is uncomparable to most. And you came up in a Boom.

Could care less about your personal wealth honestly. That's not what this is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events