Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 AM

16,602 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Just more Muslim entitlement.
I would say it is more akin to being brainwashed into thinking that anything that does not go your way is related to race/gender/religion etc.
It is called the grievance industry, and our current president & First Lady were raised that way. Now they are helping to pass their sickness on to others, especially blacks in this country.

I cannot imagine what life would be like to walk around with a chip on my shoulder, and every time something didn't go exactly as I wanted it to, to assume it was based on my race/gender/religion.
Yet that is what is being taught in some public schools now with this idiotic "racial equity" rubbish;

A look at how a racial equity policy in school suspensions helps create chaos in St. Paul schools...

Reading the article is a nightmare example of how our own public school system in liberal wacko areas, are churning out irresponsible destructive kids, all with victimization/grievance issues.
Not to mention how other students are being attacked and unable to learn anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
It must be SOP for a US United Airlines attendants to be rude in some certain way. Does United Airlines use their bottom of barrel employees for US flights? I don't think I've gone a year where I didn't end up with a voucher from UA (no choice do to connection times). Yet once outside the US, the attendants are completely opposite. I've never had an issue with UA outside the US. As to free soft drinks it's usually a cup of ice and getting the can usually depends on the length of the flight. This flight looks like it was a under two hour terminal to terminal flight. Subtracting out tarmac time, this would fall under the SOP as a no can flight for cattle class passengers.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
First of all, if you fly United, you should expect a ****ty experience. But I can't remember the last time I was actually handed the soda can on a flight and not just a plastic cup with ice.

Also.................they really shouldn't be handing cans to anyone on a plane if they are going to be complete pricks about nail clippers and everything else that is banned. Not beer cans and not soda cans, if you don't like drinking out of a plastic cup, then you get NOTHING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haEyId7jHss

Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
I totally disagree with all of you who say that the woman is over-reacting, has a chip on her shoulder, or is making a mountain out of a mole hill. She made a reasonable request - they do indeed hand out whole cans of soda on flights - I've made the same request myself and been handed an un-opened can. (And no, I'm not a Muslim. I'm a middle aged white lady who gets thirsty and wants the whole can.) No flight attendant is going to deny you a whole can and get into a debate about it when they still have half the plane to serve. But this attendant obviously came to work that day with preconceived notions about people of different races, and enjoyed her little chance to show them off, along with the chance to use the potential threat of "interfering with a flight crew" that is always thickly in the air any time a person thinks about speaking their mind during a flight.

The situation was further compounded when the attendant gave the (probably white) guy sitting right next to the woman an un-opened beer. Under the "weapon" scenario, his beer would have been just as much a deadly weapon as the soda.

Then, when the woman questioned the situation, the flight attendant was remiss in her job because she didn't say something like "I'm sorry, it is against FAA regulations because un-opened cans are considered an item which could potentially be used as a weapon. You're right...I should not have given this gentleman the un-opened can - sir, please allow me to open that can for you" Instead, she said "It's so you can't use it as a weapon". This statement turned the situation back to the specific woman she was speaking to, suggesting that the specific woman might be prone to attacking someone.

As for the crude man who butted into the situation and so clearly demonstrated his ignorance, racism and bad manners, shame on him. If the Muslim woman had indeed jumped out of her seat and tried to subdue the flight crew with her un-opened Diet Coke, then maybe while she was beating the flight attendant with the can, that kind of language might have been warranted. Otherwise, that kind of language has no place in polite society. And shame on other passengers for remaining silent.

This woman is a highly-educated, highly paid person, and I don't blame her for being insulted, hurt, and even a little scared. She was probably worried for the rest of the flight that the aggressive passenger might decide to escalate things again. I think the woman is entitled to a public apology from airline for mistreating her and humiliating her.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I totally disagree with all of you who say that the woman is over-reacting, has a chip on her shoulder, or is making a mountain out of a mole hill. She made a reasonable request - they do indeed hand out whole cans of soda on flights - I've made the same request myself and been handed an un-opened can. (And no, I'm not a Muslim. I'm a middle aged white lady who gets thirsty and wants the whole can.) No flight attendant is going to deny you a whole can and get into a debate about it when they still have half the plane to serve. But this attendant obviously came to work that day with preconceived notions about people of different races, and enjoyed her little chance to show them off, along with the chance to use the potential threat of "interfering with a flight crew" that is always thickly in the air any time a person thinks about speaking their mind during a flight.

The situation was further compounded when the attendant gave the (probably white) guy sitting right next to the woman an un-opened beer. Under the "weapon" scenario, his beer would have been just as much a deadly weapon as the soda.

Then, when the woman questioned the situation, the flight attendant was remiss in her job because she didn't say something like "I'm sorry, it is against FAA regulations because un-opened cans are considered an item which could potentially be used as a weapon. You're right...I should not have given this gentleman the un-opened can - sir, please allow me to open that can for you" Instead, she said "It's so you can't use it as a weapon". This statement turned the situation back to the specific woman she was speaking to, suggesting that the specific woman might be prone to attacking someone.

As for the crude man who butted into the situation and so clearly demonstrated his ignorance, racism and bad manners, shame on him. If the Muslim woman had indeed jumped out of her seat and tried to subdue the flight crew with her un-opened Diet Coke, then maybe while she was beating the flight attendant with the can, that kind of language might have been warranted. Otherwise, that kind of language has no place in polite society. And shame on other passengers for remaining silent.

This woman is a highly-educated, highly paid person, and I don't blame her for being insulted, hurt, and even a little scared. She was probably worried for the rest of the flight that the aggressive passenger might decide to escalate things again. I think the woman is entitled to a public apology from airline for mistreating her and humiliating her.
Talk about a first world problem. Boo-fricken-hoo, lady.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I would say it is more akin to being brainwashed into thinking that anything that does not go your way is related to race/gender/religion etc.
It is called the grievance industry, and our current president & First Lady were raised that way. Now they are helping to pass their sickness on to others, especially blacks in this country.

I cannot imagine what life would be like to walk around with a chip on my shoulder, and every time something didn't go exactly as I wanted it to, to assume it was based on my race/gender/religion.
Yet that is what is being taught in some public schools now with this idiotic "racial equity" rubbish;

[URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2378647-look-how-racial-equity-policy-school.html[/URL]

Reading the article is a nightmare example of how our own public school system in liberal wacko areas, are churning out irresponsible destructive kids, all with victimization/grievance issues.
Not to mention how other students are being attacked and unable to learn anything.

It is pretty amusing to see how some people can manage to blame President Obama for almost anything. You just say a bunch of stuff totally unrelated to the president, the White House, Congress, or any part of government and then add his name to it, instantly making him responsible for the condition of the entire planet.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
The situation was further compounded when the attendant gave the (probably white) guy sitting right next to the woman an un-opened beer. Under the "weapon" scenario, his beer would have been just as much a deadly weapon as the soda.....
You are drawing conclusion not based on fact, but based on accusation by that woman.
  • Neither United nor Republic (the feeder airline this woman was on) has a policy of not handing out unopened cans. And the weapons part is pure nonsense.
  • The woman was receiving a complementary beverage. Thus it's provided in a cup as standard procedure. Though not universal, it's much more common now than in years past.
  • In domestic coach, alcoholic beverages are provided in coach with an additional charge. They give you the entire container when you pay.
  • That man paid for that beer and thus when you pay for beer, they give you the entire can. If you buy a mixed drink they will give you an entire mini-bottle.
So yet again we have a situation blown way out of proportion by hysterical people on facebook. Personally I think the muslim woman tells lies about the infidels.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Talk about a first world problem. Boo-fricken-hoo, lady.
You're right - it is a first-world problem. In developing countries most people are more concerned with obtaining food, medical care and shelter. But those of us who choose to live in the "first world" as you call it are not unreasonable to expect to be treated with respect and to not be subjected to public castigation and discrimination.

For example, if I didn't respect you as a human, I could call you all sorts of awful names and tell you to shut the **** up like that crude man said to that lady. But because I have the proper level of respect for your opinion and because I was raised to have good manners, I will refrain from doing that.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are drawing conclusion not based on fact, but based on accusation by that muslim woman.
[LIST][*]Neither United nor Republic (the feeder airline this woman was on) has a policy of not handing out unopened cans. And the weapons part is pure nonsense.[/LIST] [LIST][*]The woman was receiving a complementary beverage. Thus it's provided in a cup as standard procedure.[/LIST] [LIST][*]In domestic coach, alcoholic beverages are provided in coach with an additional charge.[/LIST] [LIST][*]That man paid for that beer and thus when you pay for beer, they give you the entire can. If you buy a mixed drink they will give you an entire mini-bottle.[/LIST]So yet again we have a situation blown way out of proportion by hysterical people on facebook.
Yes, but as I said before, a person can indeed get a whole can of soda if they ask for it. And if the flight attendant had a self-inflicted policy of not handing out un-opened cans, then all cans should be treated the same.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:53 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
  • The woman was receiving a complementary beverage. Thus it's provided in a cup as standard procedure. Though not universal, it's much more common now than in years past.
  • In domestic coach, alcoholic beverages are provided in coach with an additional charge. They give you the entire container when you pay.
  • That man paid for that beer and thus when you pay for beer, they give you the entire can. If you buy a mixed drink they will give you an entire mini-bottle.

This would actually make the most sense rather than some evil discriminatory conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events