Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Some people INSIST upon attributing an insulting or negative meaning on the words coming out of other peoples mouths, regardless of what you mean by them. They want to keep the hate alive to give themselves something to complain about and force a standard where there currently is none. It's laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

And even if they are insulting and negative, that's just tough. Life isn't rainbows and puppy dogs. Unless someone is insulting you on purpose it's just you being weird.

The word "retarded" IS in my vocabulary because I'm educated and know/use a lot of words, not just words on the current acceptability list. Maybe pick up a dictionary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:30 PM

162 posts, read 155,646 times
I am definitely not an SJW type. But I hate the word retard or retarded. My god-Brother is deaf and people, in 2015 still say, oh my god.. is he like "retarded" or something. It's rude. No one asks to be born with a physical or mental deformity. Also, people don't know the difficulty of parenting a special needs child. A word such as retarded can really bring someone down especially if they are constantly dealing with looks and stares on a daily basis. No parent wants to see their child be treated that way.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
It's actually "I could not care less" . "I could care less" means you care and could care even more.

I'll refrain from using the R word about your grammar difficulties and just go with stupid, dumb or uneducated.

If you can't find a better word than retarded get a thesaurus.
I love it when the grammar Nazis show up.

"Look, you messed up with your grammar, now I get to point it out, and I'll get to be the awesome poster who won the interwebs today."

I'm commenting on a forum; I'm not writing a thesis.

Your interwebs savvy is retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Hey, Pete - your development in using the English language has been retarded. Taken from your context, what you wrote that is bolded means exactly the opposite of what you wanted it to. I hope you never become a parent if your view of less fortunate children is so callous, especially if you ever had one.
Look, another grammar Nazi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Exactly.

I mean, there are 1,025,109 words in the English language. Surely it can't be that difficult to think of an alternate way to phrase that sentiment?
No thank, I'm good with using retarded.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:34 AM

16,602 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Could be considered offensive to many nowadays.
Only to the hyper-sensitive and the PC police.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 AM

16,602 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

And even if they are insulting and negative, that's just tough. Life isn't rainbows and puppy dogs. Unless someone is insulting you on purpose it's just you being weird.
That reminds me of the liberal PC effort to get kids to stop saying the phrase "that is so gay".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

Not only did the homosexuals co-opt a word to change it's original meaning (when has that ever happened before), but now they are demanding it not be used in any way other than what they approve of.

The irony of this commercial is that the PCers try to use insults and bullying in an effort to modify what they want.
I remember the homo activist who berated the bible and started calling the kids walking out names during an anti-bullying HS speech.
But I guess that doesn't count since he and other PC people consider themselves so tolerant & open-minded.

`

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I love it when the grammar Nazis show up.

"Look, you messed up with your grammar, now I get to point it out, and I'll get to be the awesome poster who won the interwebs today."

I'm commenting on a forum; I'm not writing a thesis.
Yes, because only when one is writing a thesis should proper grammar be used.

If you're going to use the term, I hope you at least apply it to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events