Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:22 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I don't think you understood me or chose not to understand me. My post was simply pointing out that you were using cities to disprove an article that is mostly about federal policies, the applicable state policies would be our for profit prison system that incentivizes incarcerations. I'm probably reading in the state aspect though since the article is about federal policies. I was disagreeing with you. I feel the reason the republican party is not connecting with my generation is partially because they have become so good at misdirection we don't even trust them. I can't comment more on what you believe are the causes of off shoring since as a democrat I agree with most of them.
I don't agree with the article's point; that there is a link between police tactics and economic conditions. I do not believe there are such links (at least not strong verifiable ones) - nor did the article demonstrably prove them.

As to the tenuous link of economics vs police policy, your bolded statement basically says you agree with the economic policies that are causing the economic problems in "communities of color" (not my term, from the article), that the article claims are driving police tactics.

So, if I am reading your statements correctly, Republicans are responsible for Democrat policies (policies that you agree with) that cause the economic problems for and drive police tactics in communities of color.

Yes, we are through the looking glass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hi guys...
I'm sorry but some of you are less than clueless
I worked SEB... one of the largest swat teams in the US
We average one call out everyday... turning on a team of 12 very specialized and highly trained deputies.
There are very specific rules to activate a special weapons team... but to cut to the chase swat teams save lives.. both citizens.. police.. and suspects alike
We were equipped with tools that the average patrol officer does not need and cannot spend the time to be proficient in

Think the Bank of America shootout in Los Angeles .... we are given Bearcats and not mraps... Bearcats are armored up vehicles for civilian use. We use them regularly for hostage rescue... or dynamic vehicle entries ( tearing off door and window bars)

Some of you think a standard police car can do this are clueless as to the dangers being faced in our society today
Add terrorism domestic and foreign... and you really think we should be driving yugo and using slingshots... get real.. its a dangerous real world.. I want and am glad we care equipped with the best tools to do our jobs.
There may be a dozen or so US cities that truly need a SWAT team/capability.

The fact that we are seeing more military equipment, and more SWAT like tactics used in policing in mid sized and smaller cities, with a more frequent reliance on those types of capabilities and tactics, is a dangerous trend for both cops and citizens, IMO.

Different departments are getting MRAPs, too, so it's not just Bearcats working their way into the system.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
From the tag under the headline:

"Republicans instituted policies to economically abandon and criminalize conditions in communities of color. The results are inevitable, not unstoppable"

No bias there, and the Republican bastions of Detroit, Chicago, and Baltimore confirm that statement... Oh wait... maybe not. FYI, Mpls specifically, and MN generally are not known for being Republican bastions either.

I typically agree with you Tuck's Dad, but out of the last 55 mayors of Chicago only about a dozen have been Republican and the last one ended his reign in 1931. We're known for a strong Democratic machine filled with crooks, thank you very much.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:42 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,161 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the article's point; that there is a link between police tactics and economic conditions. I do not believe there are such links (at least not strong verifiable ones) - nor did the article demonstrably prove them.

As to the tenuous link of economics vs police policy, your bolded statement basically says you agree with the economic policies that are causing the economic problems in "communities of color" (not my term, from the article), that the article claims are driving police tactics.

So, if I am reading your statements correctly, Republicans are responsible for Democrat policies (policies that you agree with) that cause the economic problems for and drive police tactics in communities of color.

Yes, we are through the looking glass...
Umm, I hold both parties responsible. They both pander to the fears of their base instead of offering good solutions. Since I agree that liberal policies are one of the biggest reasons we have off shored so many jobs, i am not sure why you keep going on about how I blame republicans. Maybe its because I'm not partisan. I don't get the partisan thing. I'm a democrat by necessity. The republican coalition is made up of big government and small government groups. Its made up of hawks and doves. I can't trust a dog with so many masters who want so many things. The current republican party and the democrats weird relationship with labor shows why we should have a parliamentary system.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I typically agree with you Tuck's Dad, but out of the last 55 mayors of Chicago only about a dozen have been Republican and the last one ended his reign in 1931. We're known for a strong Democratic machine filled with crooks, thank you very much.

he was trying to be ironic

Old 06-08-2015, 06:46 PM

520 posts, read 532,433 times
Blah blah blah blah. Tell your blacks to stop committing so many goddamn crimes and they wont have to complain endlessly about the system.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:47 PM

963 posts, read 689,763 times
I wonder when any of you will realize that MOST of the poor are poor because of the choices they make on a daily basis. Those choices that make them poor are often criminal choices, and the police HAVE TO respond to criminal behaviour. The poor are responsible for the police to respond the way they do. Treat the cops with respect and quit challenging them, confronting them, and rioting to make them back down, and maybe the country will begin to take you seriously.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Detroit and Baltimore have a pretty similar track record...

Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
I don't think that's the issue with SWAT. The money spent on a SWAT unit could fund a decent increase in beat cops. Having cops around, and frequently seen, is a better way to keep crime down than having a quick reaction force that nobody sees until they descend upon an area under cover of darkness IMO.

Having an MRAPS in a department, or a SWAT team in the department leads to policies like no knock warrants etc., when the truth is, under all but a very, very, small number of cases, warrants can be served safely during the day by regular cops (perhaps in force, but regular cops), and there are work-arounds for the exceptions.
There is a basic philosophy in life when it comes to emergency response:"Better to have and not need than need and not have.".

If one has a situation that is a SWAT job, it is very nice to have such a capability around.

In US law enforcement, there tends to be a general equal divide about a Beslan school siege - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia situation occurring in CONUS. One half is like, "Beslan? What's that?" while the other side, which I'm in, believe that it will occur some day.

There are at least two good, if intertwined, things about having SWAT as a standing force. It reduces one target, as in being a terrorist target, visibility. The attacker does not like to go after targets that can take him out quickly. He wants his 15 minutes, not 15 seconds and he is less likely to go to that place where the latter is more likely. A standing SWAT, perhaps one with a reputation, has that target discouragement and if it does happen, (ie, hostage situation where the hostages are being killed) then they end it quickly.

Does this involve military tactics? Probably. Is there another way? Perhaps but probably often enough, the effectiveness of different ways will probably ultimately be measured in bodies (IMHO).

Do economic conditions drive this need for specialization? Well, perhaps in one way of looking at it in that regions that have a population that is more self sufficient, such as rural, can get by with a more generalized police force such as the Sheriff or the Ranger. But on the other hand, it may be that specialization and economic conditions are just two items that are being created by something else.

Finally, recognize that our way of life produces paradoxes in situations that ought to seem reasonable. I once thought it would be a great notion to have one's deputies, the government's 1st representatives to a region, cross trained as paramedics. It is not workable, however, when one faces a situation where the deputy had to shoot someone who is now down and out of the fight. Does the deputy then go to help the downed or does she secure the area?

Hence to prevent a conflict of interest, perhaps that lawsuit, specific duties and training are assigned to one group while another group handles a different area.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
I wonder when any of you will realize that MOST of the poor are poor because of the choices they make on a daily basis. Those choices that make them poor are often criminal choices, and the police HAVE TO respond to criminal behaviour. The poor are responsible for the police to respond the way they do. Treat the cops with respect and quit challenging them, confronting them, and rioting to make them back down, and maybe the country will begin to take you seriously.
Do you feel that way about Bernie Madoff or Michael Milken? What would happen if we responded to white collar crime the way we do to crimes in the inner city??

Aren't white collar criminals common criminals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events