Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There often seems to be more to the story than "racism." Most police are dedicated public servants. We should presume that they are until proven otherwise.

yes we need to protect them and respect and even obey them etc, but when one is a bad apple.,, ADIOS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Texas officer in video let 'emotions get the better of him': lawyer

Texas officer in video let 'emotions get the better of him': lawyer - AOL.com

Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Just 14 and 15 years old, they wasted no time speaking on the record about the racist comments made by adults that they said set off the incident, and recording the discriminatory treatment they said they witnessed.
Thanks for posting that picture.

Reading the article you linked in the other thread, this is very interesting. The only good news about the McKinney pool party is the white kids’ response to racism

Quote:
The police were called, and Brandon Brooks, a white 15-year-old, took out his cellphone to record what happened next — creating a record of the event that he later posted to YouTube, along with this commentary: "So the cops just started putting everyone on the ground and in handcuffs for no reason. This kind of force is uncalled for especially on children and innocent bystanders."

"I think a bunch of white parents were angry that a bunch of black kids who don't live in the neighborhood were in the pool," he told BuzzFeed. He made it clear that he felt he was spared because of his race, saying, "Everyone who was getting put on the ground was black, Mexican, Arabic. [The cop] didn't even look at me. It was kind of like I was invisible."

"You can see in part of the video where he tells us to sit down, and he kinda like skips over me and tells all my African-American friends to go sit down," he said in a Monday interview with CW33.
This cannot be ignored. I see no reason for this kid to lie, so there definitely could be a racial component to this.

Those defending the officer's actions (forget race for a second), can you still do that now?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352
No evidence of them being on Section 8, nor does it even make any sense.
Why would the PHA operate Section 8 housing in an expensive, upper-middle-class community? Most HOAs wouldn't even allow this to happen. PHA has government-imposed limits on how much it can give out in vouchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator
It's all part of Obama's plan to move black out of the ghetto and into "middle class" neighborhoods. He thinks this will elevate the lower class blacks. It will only cause more chaos like this in once peaceful and quiet neighborhoods. "One rotten apple spoils the whole bushel."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't know about McKinney but HUD is turning to the voucher system for Section 8.
And some cities are passing laws that no homeowner or landlord can discriminate against Section 8 applicatants.

I know Austin was proposing that and many investor owned homes hit the market during that timeframe.

McKinney does have Sec 8 apartments but also has Sec 8 vouchers.
The people with the vouchers can live wherever they want and just pay the difference in rent.

No, its not Obama's plan; it was pushed by Bill Clinton, another democrap who stabbed the working class in the back whenever he could. Chicago and Baltimore have been doing this since the early 1990s thanks to the black mayor of Baltimore at that time, Kurt Schmoke, who was always claiming racism, and who said that the section 8 voucher system was racist. I have in a previous life as a property manager, placed section 8 tenants into nice suburban communities, and the neighbors or HOA had no clue that the people were on section 8.

And investor's don't all like section 8 housing; some do, most don't. Back in the 1990s, when local housing authorities were trying to force section 8 on landlords, some investor clubs were trying to fight new laws which stated that landlords MUST accept section 8 vouchers. And it is not easy money for investors for a number of reasons which are too much to get into here. If I were an investor/property manager, I would never take another section 8 voucher as there is a clause in all section 8 leases that says they can stop payments at any time for any reason, or for no reason.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Texas officer in video let 'emotions get the better of him': lawyer

Texas officer in video let 'emotions get the better of him': lawyer - AOL.com
Casebolt had just dealt with two suicides before responding to this call.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
And prior to resigning and currently casebolt and his family have received numerous death threats

This is what national media does for a local issue.

This is what we face out there .. sick.. twisted ..dangerous people mixed in with regular citizens

Old 06-10-2015, 03:14 PM

254 posts, read 464,517 times
This "real story" is ignoring the situation at hand.
The way it appears to go down:
1. There was a pool party that was thrown against the HOA rules.
2. Cops were called and most of them deescalated their situations (according to the video).
3. Black kids walking around were yelled at (according to the video).
4. White kids walking around were not yelled at (according to the video).
5. An unarmed, 90 pound woman breaks no law, but is man handled.
6. People are coming to the aid of the police officer because...there was a party that was against HOA rules? WHAT!?!?

Perspective:
1. Suburban teenagers get together at a local pool.
2. Police are called because teenagers are getting loud and unruly.
3. An officer slams the school's valedictorian (a 90 pound girl) on the ground because she stands up for herself and breaks no law.

Was the party against the rules? Yes. Is that a good reason to slam an unarmed, 90 pound woman on the ground?
You answer that.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
This cannot be ignored. I see no reason for this kid to lie, so there definitely could be a racial component to this.
This has been discussed. The black teen male to his left was not touched or forced to get down. The black teen male standing by the girls when he approached them was only told to leave. The two black male teens who he drew the gun at initially weren't even told to get down on the ground or touched. As a matter of fact, he ends up ignoring them as he assaults her.

The area the crazy cop ran through and started grabbing teens and telling them to get down had only two Caucasians, the kid filming and his Hispanic friend. The cop did point his baton at the white kid filming as he was running to that group and grabbing and ordering.

I'm not sure how anybody can argue there was any proof of racism there. It just seemed more like frantic actions by the cop where the white kid filming and four other black male teens weren't either grabbed or told to get down on the ground by the cop.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Just 14 and 15 years old, they wasted no time speaking on the record about the racist comments made by adults that they said set off the incident, and recording the discriminatory treatment they said they witnessed.
In which recording did you see or hear the racist comments?

If racial slurs were being thrown out, why did the black man who was a resident and witness to much of the action at the pool say there was no racism?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:20 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This has been discussed. The black teen male to his left was not touched or forced to get down. The black teen male standing by the girls when he approached them was only told to leave. The two black male teens who he drew the gun at initially weren't even told to get down on the ground or touched. As a matter of fact, he ends up ignoring them as he assaults her.

The area the crazy cop ran through and started grabbing teens and telling them to get down had only two Caucasians, the kid filming and his Hispanic friend. The cop did point his baton at the white kid filming as he was running to that group and grabbing and ordering.

I'm not sure how anybody can argue there was any proof of racism there. It just seemed more like frantic actions by the cop where the white kid filming and four other black male teens weren't either grabbed or told to get down on the ground by the cop.
Fair enough. That was the first detailed article I have read on this situation with the interview with the kid, was an interesting read.

What a mess this entire thing is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events