Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 04:41 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The whole POINT is they could have done said waiting across the street like they were asked,told then demanded to. They could have waited (across the street) until the situation calmed down to get their stuff.
Did the cops cross the street to the kids that went over there (when told) and start hassling them? It didn't look like it nor have I heard that happened. So, just crossing the street would have been a safe place. You wouldn't run into a burning building to get your backpack would you? Why not? Well, you may get burned not to mention it's stupid.
The instructions they were getting were rather confused. Did Casebolt want them across the street, or did he want them sitting down? Did he want all of them sitting down, or just the ones he directed to sit down? Casebolt was not at all consistent.

He wasn't even consistent with the other officers. One officer was talking calmly to a group of boys, then Casebolt ran up and demanded those boys immediately hit the ground, catching the other officer right in mid-sentence. If the police can't get their own act together, a bunch of teenagers can't be expected to.

And it wasn't a burning building, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 05:21 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No, sadly none of them will think twice to do this again.
Why y'all ask? Well, given that a cop got fired, all these "civil rights" aka race hustlers are jumping into this, lawyers are involved and lawsuits are sure to follow and just by what is written here they think the public is behind them what negative consequences for them have happened to teach them about the error of their ways?
I suggest the only thing that's happened is they and other teens have been shown it's just fine (and possibly profitable) to act like an arse, especially if you're young and black...
I completely agree. Earlier I said something to the effect of wishing we could once again be a nation with widespread support and respect for the police, and a police force deserving of that respect. But these situations, in which biased media reporting make it nearly impossible for the police in question to keep his job, continue to fuel the fire of disrespect and belligerence toward police.

I know I'm going to sound like an old fogey here, but when I was a teen, if I had EVER mouthed off to ANY adult like some of the teens do to POLICE in videos I've seen.....I don't even want to think about what punishments my parents would have doled out!

Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
I had my mouth washed out with soap for saying shut-up to a sitter... I think I still remember the taste.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:30 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concaine View Post
This thread is a fail. Needs to be closed.
Why?? Because it sheds a credible point of view of how this whole thing started? It doesn't line up with the black racial agenda? Please stop living the lie that you are oppressed.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I completely agree. Earlier I said something to the effect of wishing we could once again be a nation with widespread support and respect for the police, and a police force deserving of that respect. But these situations, in which biased media reporting make it nearly impossible for the police in question to keep his job, continue to fuel the fire of disrespect and belligerence toward police.

I know I'm going to sound like an old fogey here, but when I was a teen, if I had EVER mouthed off to ANY adult like some of the teens do to POLICE in videos I've seen.....I don't even want to think about what punishments my parents would have doled out!
We are now in the midst of several generations that have been either one parent house holds or no parent house hold latch key kids that have little to no education and were raised on the hip hop culture, of ALL races and they don't know what it's like to be held accountable, or to respect authority because they had no real authority when they were children and have no issue living off the government dole, Section 8, food stamps, Obama phones, etc... I would love to follow the lives of all the individual's involved in this fracas from the children, to adults and the cops over the next 20 years to see what became of the're lives.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:40 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
The officer who drew his gun apparently did so not in response to the teenage girl, but to a man whose actions and motions indicated he might be about to draw a weapon.
This is the most obnoxious thought process- even by, and I apologize in advance, our current police officers.

Listen, it's not a one sided case. There are issues, and I mean deeply imbedded issues, on both sides.

There is a thing called "cause & effect". The officer could have easily left the 15 year old alone. YOU DON'T LOSE SIGHT OF YOUR SUSPECTS IN HANDCUFFS. That is partly why the guy in Brooklyn died because of failure to check on his welfare after the handcuffing. It's a safety issue.

The girl had every right to stand there as long as she was not in direct harm or contaminating the investigation. If he needed them to leave, he should have waited for back up to assist, not be superman and commit to a large crowd. Yes, her mouth got her in deep trouble but you don't leave your suspects that are detained. You don't go after someone simply for running their mouths. As a supervisor and known to have all these "trainings" he should known better but it isn't that easy to suppress the excitement.

The reaction of the people are because of them seeing him man handle a 15 year old by-stander as you see them all running back to help her. There reaction was humane and normal in trying to help a helpless person/friend, not to attack the officer.

On the other hand, as result of their reaction, the officer had a right to defend himself in any which REASONABLE manner if he felt a threat. Drawing his weapon wasn't unreasonable but it WAS the result of his own doing to draw the reaction from the people. A lot of this all comes from being too wired, not decompressed, and being complacent. The officer is wound up and can't shut it off easily. The job does this to you and officers need more counseling.

The bottom line is that most people have no LEO experience or have no social dynamic understanding. There are so many elements beyond his and their actions.

P.S.- yes, it was the result of the kids misbehaving and the girl mouthing off that caused the officer to unleash his own demons. However, the officer is trained to remain calm and think critically during times of high risk.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,026,476 times
Quote:
Here is a clue. The problem is with the police, not the media. Shooting the messenger is not going to solve the problem. Respect needs to be earned, and police acting like this, are not earning respect. Why would any normal person respect a fully grown man slamming a small bikini clad 14 year old girl on to the sidewalk, and then sitting on top of her? If he didn't have a badge and a gun, somebody would beat the crap out of him for acting that way. But he is supposed to get a pass because he is a cop? It doesn't work that way. That is what is fueling the fire of disrespect and belligerence toward police.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". The police need to be controlled. If you are not willing to control the police, the problem will only get worse.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:51 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Here is a clue. The problem is with the police, not the media. Shooting the messenger is not going to solve the problem. Respect needs to be earned, and police acting like this, are not earning respect. Why would any normal person respect a fully grown man slamming a small bikini clad 14 year old girl on to the sidewalk, and then sitting on top of her? If he didn't have a badge and a gun, somebody would beat the crap out of him for acting that way. But he is supposed to get a pass because he is a cop? It doesn't work that way.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". The police need to be controlled. If you are not willing to control the police, the problem will only get worse.

And you get it. You absolutely get it. Everyone keeps saying he had every right to pull out his weapon but imagine you seeing your daughter get slammed as such simply cause the officer "had enough of her mouth".

This is what you call mutual dynamics- nobody is getting away scott free. There are major faults on both sides here. However, I will say that the environment and stressful every day to day dealings is tough on police. Dealing with scumbags and chasing bad guys all day makes it hard to come home and turn it off. Same as the boys that go down range in the desert. They can't be given the triple threat.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,841 times
Out of control cops are what fuel the fire of disrespect and belligerence toward police! When the police deserve respect they'll get respect, but not until then.

Quote:

Old 06-12-2015, 07:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Out of control cops are what fuel the fire of disrespect and belligerence toward police! When the police deserve respect they'll get respect, but not until then.
That might work okay with your next door neighbor, but it's a foolish attitude to take with a police officer. You're supposed to respect their position and if you don't respect their position, you're going to create a really miserable life for yourself and/or your offspring that heed your foolish counsel.

Imagine getting pulled over for doing 78 in a 55 mph zone and telling the trooper, "I will not show you any respect until I see that you deserve it."

Good luck with that.

I've seen a lot of foolish comments at City Data, but yours pretty well takes the cake. And a couple toasters, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events