Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 04:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I like hooligans myself.
Yeah, I'm with you! Let's bring it back in vogue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 12:19 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
As luck/coincidence would have it, I was just watching an old Bonanza rerun on TV. It was set in the civil war era and had a guy (union supporter) being beaten up by rebel sympathizers. When he confronted the judge who was of the same mindset, he said "keep your rebel thugs away from me".

Needless to say these "rebel thugs" were not black by a long shot.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You're going to have to run that by me one more time.

Someone who accuses someone else of racism is a racist?

Huh?
By definition, a racist is one who believes all things are defined by race. So yes, a racist can accuse someone else of racism - despite the hypocrisy of such an act.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You're going to have to run that by me one more time.

Someone who accuses someone else of racism is a racist?

Huh?
By definition, a racist is one who believes all things are defined by race. So yes, a racist can accuse someone else of racism - despite the obvious hypocrisy of such an act.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:16 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's still due to a segment of the black population that pushed the definition of "thug" to include the look and behavior (non-criminal) of Sherman.

Are you crazy or just ignoring reality to stand your ground.

Whites make us an extremely large portion of the rap audience and hip-hop has had a large impact on contemporary culture across all races. Are you really going to deny this?

As defined by a segment of black culture that pushed it into contemporary culture.

Take a look at the products and companies that use rappers as spokespeople. Take a look at the influence it's had in fashion, art, advertising and even other music genres.

What I'm talking about is usage of the word where it doesn't fit at all.
You're missing the point. The people I'm referring to aren't fans of rap crap, they don't listen to it, nor are they going to all of a sudden change the meaning of a word based on a few rappers' lyrics.

And if there is no "racial ownership" of the word, then why isn't it applied to other trash-talking pro athletes? Did anyone refer to Tom Brady as a thug when he was chasing down and cussing out a ref after a loss to the Panthers?

Why aren't hockey players referred to as thugs? How about when baseball brawls break out? No one was referring to the Kansas City Royals as thugs after they got into multiple bench-clearing brawls to start the season.

People say they use the "original" definition regardless of race, why not for this "new" definition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just because a tiny handful of people called the McKinney girl a thug, doesn't suddenly make it the new n-word.

You're going to have people doing crap like that all the time. Racists were using the word "Monday" as their code n-word for a while. Should we rename that day of the week because it was co-opted by some racists?

In terms of Sherman, the word thug was used in reference to a young, black, tough talking boisterous and intimidating man due to rappers co-opting the word thug. So the Sherman situation and the McKinney girl situation are completely different.

Once again, "thug" is an appropriate word for the looters in Baltimore and the biker gangs in Waco.

If you're upset Sherman was called a thug, blame that on the rappers who tried to rebrand the word not the young whites who use it in that defined context.

The best thing you could do is challenge the people who use thug when describing McKinney girl by asking "Do you even know what the word thug means? Apparently you don't" instead of essentially wanting to ban the word due to some ignorance.
I can't believe you're really trying to pedal this idea that most that referred to Sherman as a thug based on rappers who "rebranded" the word and wasn't using it as an insult towards Sherman. I'm not talking about some naive 17-year old, I'm talking about adults who cringe at the sound of hip-hop music. I highly doubt their mindset is, "well, Tupac would've called Sherman a thug, so that's why I'm going to call him." We're now utilizing some rappers' definition of a word that's been around for over 200 years.

With that line of thinking, anyone can "rebrand" an already defined word and use it as they see fit.

And even by that logic, every black man that young, appears to be tough and trash talks, especially in a competitive environment is a thug based on what some rappers claimed to have said? That's still stereotyping.

So because only a handful of people use the word as the new 'n' word, we can't have the discussion about it? No one is talking about banning the word. Please find one time I said the word shouldn't be used or should be replaced. I specifically stated I don't care when the word is used in applicable situations.

And isn't what this thread is about? Challenging why the word is incorrectly used in certain situations, but not used when it can be applied, right?

Sorry it took so long to respond, I had oral surgery yesterday.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:27 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Ehh, I guess it's a current event. I agree, there's too many posters on this site who misuse the word. All you can do is laugh.

Also, I doubt these people have college degrees.
It doesn't take a college degree to know what the word means...just a dictionary! But then, one would have to know how to read, and be willing to get off one's ass long enough to look up the definition of the word.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:29 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
good point above about the movie goon. maybe it is a city-data problem:

Active threads from around the forum
nobody has yet to start calling this guy a thug:
Dallas cops having a shootem up

Old 06-13-2015, 05:32 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
ATG5 feel free to call anyone you want a thug. If you think Tom Brady is a thug then call him one. It's okay because it's not a racist word. Use it freely but please stop trying to claim it's racist.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
ATG5 feel free to call anyone you want a thug. If you think Tom Brady is a thug then call him one. It's okay because it's not a racist word. Use it freely but please stop trying to claim it's racist.
I'm not going to freely call people a term that doesn't define them or an action they do. That's lazy.

I'm not crying racism, I'm trying to have a discussion about it. That's the point of the thread.

If you can't at least make good, compelling points and have a discussion like Pedro Martinez, then don't bother.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:30 PM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
I think you just don't like being called out for being a racist. You or any race does not own the word thug. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events