Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:44 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Please don't try to deny the history of police and racism towards Black people. It's been documented by many sources including white people.
When did I do that? Is that what this country has become?

I mean, if you start a thread about a man, don't mention his race, refer to other stories about White people, you are suddenly denying a "history of police" and "racism towards Black people?"

I give up. This is nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 06:45 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Normal people do not pull up to officers in the middle of an ongoing traffic stop, blocking their vehicles, get out, dance around, get back into their car and drive off, etc. Then rush a police officer's car. There was something going on with this guy. My guess is he was on drugs. The autopsy will tell us more.
Certainly, fire first and ask questions later....let God sort 'em out....is that the gist of it? Police officers are supposed to be trained professionals - so why do they so often "resort" to lethal force as their FIRST action? They often seem to be scared sh#tless - apparently of anyone walking with purpose around them.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
BS yourself. You were not there so you don't know what was occurring at the time. You people that think cops are out to kill everyone get a little ridiculous.
We have the cops side of the story. Nowhere did they mention the word gun, or even reaching for a gun. So your point that maybe he was reaching for gun is complete nonsense. OR THE COPS WOULD HAVE SAID IT. How hard is that to understand.

I don't think cops are out to kill everyone. Thats stupid. I do think that they are way too trigger happy and if you happen to be unlucky enough to draw their attention you are in real danger of getting dead or robbed. The relationship between cops and community has changed. You get stopped by a cop and they aren't thinking this is just a regular guy in my community, now they think of you as a perp and I gotta show this clown who is in charge. They have went from serving the law to being the law.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:25 PM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
This is tough on both sides... and common sense needs to prevail--as best possible.
People need to be respectful and careful around police due to unpredictable violent attacks on them.
Police need to be able to say "Stop or I'll shoot" to warn people they stepping over an invisible safety line.
Things are never as simple as they appear.
This man's behavior was unpredictable and they were alarmed.
Deal with enough unpredictable crazy, violent people, and you may err on the side of self-defense too soon.
Unless you've dealt with a population that is violent, unpredictable, or crazy, you have no idea how you'd respond.
There was once a time when life was more normal. Not anymore.
Unless we're in someone else's shoes, we don't really know what was happening on each side.
It's a tragedy.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
This is tough on both sides... and common sense needs to prevail--as best possible.
People need to be respectful and careful around police due to unpredictable violent attacks on them.
Police need to be able to say "Stop or I'll shoot" to warn people they stepping over an invisible safety line.
Things are never as simple as they appear.
This man's behavior was unpredictable and they were alarmed.
Deal with enough unpredictable crazy, violent people, and you may err on the side of self-defense too soon.
Unless you've dealt with a population that is violent, unpredictable, or crazy, you have no idea how you'd respond.
There was once a time when life was more normal. Not anymore.
Unless we're in someone else's shoes, we don't really know what was happening on each side.
It's a tragedy.

Exactly!

Old 06-14-2015, 07:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Walking 'With Purpose' Now Punishable By The Death Penalty In Iowa | Crooks and Liars

I already asked if there was a thread about an unarmed man shot to death by a cop in Des Moines on 2 other threads, since I've been unable find one and didn't want to start a duplicate thread. If this is a duplicate, I apologize, but most of the threads I've found here are about the Duggars, Bruce Jenner and the pool party in McKinney.

What about 28 year old Ryan Keith Bolinger? Why is his life any less important than a group of misbehaving teenagers who weren't even injured? Why is his story less important than someone who decides to be a woman at 65 and turns it into a Reality Show?

Where are the protests? Where are the lawyers?
Did you read the link you posted?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:44 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
We have the cops side of the story. Nowhere did they mention the word gun, or even reaching for a gun. So your point that maybe he was reaching for gun is complete nonsense. OR THE COPS WOULD HAVE SAID IT. How hard is that to understand.

I don't think cops are out to kill everyone. Thats stupid. I do think that they are way too trigger happy and if you happen to be unlucky enough to draw their attention you are in real danger of getting dead or robbed. The relationship between cops and community has changed. You get stopped by a cop and they aren't thinking this is just a regular guy in my community, now they think of you as a perp and I gotta show this clown who is in charge. They have went from serving the law to being the law.

Do you know what he was doing?? Oh, that's right you don't, so your comment is nonsense. I did not say he had a gun. I don't know his actions prior to being shot, but there is a reason there, and I am sure it will come out. Like some people here, I don't pretend to know the circumstances behind the shooting.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Default I think I understand.....

The OP's point (I think) is that there are pages and pages and pages more about a black person being shot by a cop, a black girl that's put on the ground by a cop, riots,protests and race hucksters out the wahzoo and yet crickets when the same things happen to a white person.

I think it's a valid point, uncomfortable for some and downright heresy for others but certainly worth a discussion in a rational society...

Old 06-14-2015, 07:46 PM

I don't agree that, if a man's behavior is odd and unpredictable, he should be shot to death, but I do believe that cops have a difficult job. OTOH, there are way too many "shoot first" incidents, so I wonder about police training.

Here is a police recruiting video which just happens to be from Iowa where this man was shot. Some citizens complained and it was removed from the police website.

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1003045/Police-force-action-movie-Hilariously-recruitment-video-Iowa-City-PD.html]Police force or action movie? Hilariously over the top recruitment video from Iowa City PD | Daily Mail Online[/url]

Here's another one from the city of Denison TX. No wonder cops are ready to shoot people!

[youtube]fvDTRs8f2xM[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDTRs8f2xM[/url]

Old 06-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did you read the link you posted?
Yes, why do you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events