Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,836 times

Advertisements

The Americans with Disabilities Act celebrated its 25th year of coming into law last month, and while it has changed countless lives, it has become apparent that inclusion loopholes still exist.

The ADA was designed to have people with disabilities become viable and authentic citizens within the United States, but access to resources are still denied and the disability community continues to fight for basic civil rights.

10 Crucial Ways We Can Make Society More Inclusive for People With Disabilities*|*Kristin Duquette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,141 times
If society wanted to be more inclusive, it would

I like the idea of freaktowns better, just remember to keep the windows rolled up

Old 08-28-2015, 10:24 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
That is one of the worst articles I've ever scanned. Disabled folks aren't discriminated on regularly. A guy in a motorized scooter goes into a fire department and types give me a job into his computer and they don't hire him its not discrimination. A person with down syndrome walks into nasa and say let me control the rockets its not discrimination. But guess what a person with down syndrome is equally considered for jobs that match their skill set.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If society wanted to be more inclusive, it would

I like the idea of freaktowns better, just remember to keep the windows rolled up
That's one of the most despicable and disgusting posts I've read on CD in a long time, and that's really saying a lot. I'm married to a 37-year old woman who's been disabled most of her life, and will probably spend most of the rest of it in a wheelchair. She's the bravest, strongest human being I've ever met in my life, and I doubt someone like you could survive a week in her world, let alone a lifetime, without breaking down and crying like a baby.

I hope someday you get the opportunity to learn firsthand what life is like for the disabled. Just for the growth experience, you know?

Old 08-29-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
That is one of the worst articles I've ever scanned. Disabled folks aren't discriminated on regularly. A guy in a motorized scooter goes into a fire department and types give me a job into his computer and they don't hire him its not discrimination. A person with down syndrome walks into nasa and say let me control the rockets its not discrimination. But guess what a person with down syndrome is equally considered for jobs that match their skill set.
Your point of view is out of ignorance. Ever been in a wheel chair and attempted to use a "handicapped" rest room or go out to a restaurant?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:18 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,125,079 times
We live in a society in which we discriminate against people for every single flaw the perfect people seem to pick at. I wish schools had a class on living with a disability. People should have to spend a week in a wheel chair or be blindfolded and get just a little taste of what those two types of disabilities presents a person. We walk past these people and don't have the empathy to look at ourselves and realize how blessed we are to be able to see and walk, yet alone having to deal with discrimination.

I'm willing to bet if the famous people in this country were asked if they were discriminated because of their disability, they'd surely have more than a few tales to tell.

We are a society that seems to lack in compassion and empathy. Those people are the weak ones....

Old 08-29-2015, 03:42 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Your point of view is out of ignorance. Ever been in a wheel chair and attempted to use a "handicapped" rest room or go out to a restaurant?

That's not discriminating, i'm sure it's miserable and a huge challenge though. Have you ever heard of the term reasonable accommodation? Discriminating is saying don't come in with that big wheel chair it takes up too much space.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
That's one of the most despicable and disgusting posts I've read on CD in a long time, and that's really saying a lot.
The Freaktown idea is actually from a book, a Gold Star for the person that knows the title.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
That's not discriminating, i'm sure it's miserable and a huge challenge though. Have you ever heard of the term reasonable accommodation? Discriminating is saying don't come in with that big wheel chair it takes up too much space.
Reasonable accommodation has to do with employment and the ADA-not with this:

(a) Design and construction.
(1) Each facility or part of a facility constructed by, on behalf of, or for the use of a public entity shall be designed and constructed in such manner that the facility or part of the facility is readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities, if the construction was commenced after January 26, 1992.
(2) Exception for structural impracticability.
(i) Full compliance with the requirements of this section is not required where a public entity can demonstrate that it is structurally impracticable to meet the requirements. Full compliance will be considered structurally impracticable only in those rare circumstances when the unique characteristics of terrain prevent the incorporation of accessibility features.
(ii) If full compliance with this section would be structurally impracticable, compliance with this section is required to the extent that it is not structurally impracticable. In that case, any portion of the facility that can be made accessible shall be made accessible to the extent that it is not structurally impracticable.
(iii) If providing accessibility in conformance with this section to individuals with certain disabilities (e.g., those who use wheelchairs) would be structurally impracticable, accessibility shall nonetheless be ensured to persons with other types of disabilities, (e.g., those who use crutches or who have sight, hearing, or mental impairments) in accordance with this section.

2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

Old 08-29-2015, 07:14 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
...I wish schools had a class on living with a disability. People should have to spend a week in a wheel chair or be blindfolded and get just a little taste of what those two types of disabilities presents a person. ...
I will tell you a little story about that.

When I went to teach at a (then) brand new school in Maryland (Kettering Junior High), the school was to have a physically handicapped program. And it had so many different types of physically handicapped kids (excuse my spelling on a few) -- spina bifida, severely burned, muscular dystrophy, and many, many more types of physically handicapping conditions.

There were 2 types of orientation. The first was for the staff. A full day of guest speakers who were experts on physically handicapping conditions. We learned a lot.

For the "normal" students, there was a very different orientation. The first 2-5 days of school, handicapped adults were present in every classroom to answer questions of students about their handicaps. For example, one day in my classroom there was a man with 2 artificial legs due to war injuries. Every classroom had such volunteers for 3 full days. It was wonderful. The handicapped kids began school the second week, and much to my surprise, and delight, they were made very welcomed by the other students. There was one particular case that we had -- a 9th grader who had been burned horrifically in a fire at home. His ears were literally burned off, his face was horribly scarred, and he has lost some fingers. He was our most extreme case. He came to our school and worked with both students and staff to prepare us, and the kids kind of adopted him.

So it all can work very well when people are taught about the various handicaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events