Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 03:07 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,752,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Legalization of Marijuana..etc. You get the idea..
No actually I don't. legal Marijuana is no big deal. what else is important to you?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:07 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
First sex you've had in awhile ?
Huh?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:11 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree. I don't need a government or religion to approve the committed relationship that I have for us to be happy nor should anyone. Gays seem happy about this SC so I'm happy for you. I support my state's decision to legalize gay marriage but in my opinion, I would prefer the government focus on other things besides personal relationships.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) legal marriage *is* an act of government. That piece of paper is a government license that entails many rights and responsibilities of those who sign it. I don't need anyone's approval or government paper for my own committed relationship (should I be fortunate enough to have one) but I *do* need it to be legal next of kin, receive pension or Social Security benefits, some inheritances, leases, on and on. And that's just for those of us without children.

If marriage were only a ceremony, some words and feelings, then it wouldn't matter what was involved, right?

2,513 posts, read 2,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
But they do decide the validity of laws. Understand? And they decided laws that ban gay marriage are invalid. Understand?
Why Four Justices Were Against the Supreme Court's Huge Gay-Marriage Decision - NationalJournal.com

According to Scalia, the five justices in the majority are using the 14th Amendment in a way that was never intended by its writers. "When the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified in 1868, every State limited marriage to one man and one woman, and no one doubted the constitutionality of doing so," he wrote.
"They [the majority] have discovered in the Fourteenth Amendment a 'fundamental right' overlooked by every person alive at the time of ratification, and almost everyone else in the time since."
Scalia called out the majority for acting like activists, not judges. (He was similarly critical in Thursday's ruling on health care.) "States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices' 'reasoned judgment,'" he wrote

This is exactly why the Civil Rights Act required legislative action, not Judicial action. Rights are defined by laws.

Fundamentally, States who don't support gay marriage could just all together stop issuing marriage licenses. How would that go? Doesn't that solve this problem all together?

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So you don't want your freedoms shut down, but you shut down the freedoms of people to marry others of their choice? Okay.

Do people not understand how stupid this sounds?
So you want to force a marriage acceptance on me, while you shut down the freedoms of those who want to not recognize that same marriage? Who are you to force your beliefs on me when no ones rights have been violated.

Meet the new Jim Crow.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
People saying "I still don't consider them married" can just S U C K I T

You'll be dead one day and your tired old ideals will die with you and this will still be the law of the land.

We're finally joining the modern world. Although my position has been that "marriage" shouldn't be anything the government has any say in, having an antiquated religious connotation. I've said the government should enforce civil contracts between consenting adults (of any gender), then if you want some ceremony and drinks and dancing you can do that too, separately.

But this'll do just fine.
Why get mad when you got what you wanted. No one has to accept what they do not agree with including you. Supreme court doesn't pass laws. They just said federal government has to recognize it; nothing mor.Doesn't change a thing for me either ;so were both OK.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Why Four Justices Were Against the Supreme Court's Huge Gay-Marriage Decision - NationalJournal.com

According to Scalia, the five justices in the majority are using the 14th Amendment in a way that was never intended by its writers. "When the Fourteenth Amendment was ratified in 1868, every State limited marriage to one man and one woman, and no one doubted the constitutionality of doing so," he wrote.
"They [the majority] have discovered in the Fourteenth Amendment a 'fundamental right' overlooked by every person alive at the time of ratification, and almost everyone else in the time since."
Scalia called out the majority for acting like activists, not judges. (He was similarly critical in Thursday's ruling on health care.) "States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices' 'reasoned judgment,'" he wrote "They [the majority] have discovered in the Fourteenth Amendment a 'fundamental right' overlooked by every person alive at the time of ratification, and almost everyone else in the time since."
Scalia called out the majority for acting like activists, not judges. (He was similarly critical in Thursday's ruling on health care.) "States are free to adopt whatever laws they like, even those that offend the esteemed Justices' 'reasoned judgment,'" he wrote

This is exactly why the Civil Rights Act required legislative action, not Judicial action. Rights are defined by laws.

Fundamentally, States who don't support gay marriage could just all together stop issuing marriage licenses. How would that go? Doesn't that solve this problem all together?
Yes it does solve the problem. Government should stay out of the marriage business completely.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,529,233 times
Default Pearland Preacher promised to burn himself over Supreme Court

Pearland Pastor Rick Scarborough Moderator cut: phone number removed promised to set himself on fire over the court's ruling I called to offer to help him but mailbox is full - if everyone keeps calling . The 2nd time I called the lady got quite defensive. I'm just trying to help.

The Bible frowns upon dishonesty - give him a pep talk!

Last edited by Marka; 06-27-2015 at 03:23 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 03:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Pearland Pastor Rick Scarborough promised to set himself on fire over the court's ruling I called to offer to help him but mailbox is full - if everyone keeps calling . The 2nd time I called the lady got quite defensive. I'm just trying to help.

The Bible frowns upon dishonesty - give him a pep talk!
did he say he was going to burn himself, or just mention he would be flaming

Last edited by Marka; 06-27-2015 at 03:23 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 03:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,883 times
His exact words were, "We are not going to bow. We are not going to bend, and if necessary we will burn."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events