Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:42 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A small-town Kansas police officer is getting some big props this week for his kind response to a mother-and-daughter Wal-Mart shoplifting team. Though he had no choice but to issue a citation for the attempted theft of $300 worth of items, Roeland Park police officer Mark Engravalle paid, out of his own pocket, for the necessities — diapers, wipes, shoes, and clothes — that the mom of six and her oldest daughter, 15, had attempted to steal.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/cops...747691597.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 04:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
God bless him.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:29 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
If it worked.. great..but I also feel convoluted
I would want to address the longer issues as much as a patrol officer could. So I would also so an immediate referral to social services for an intensive review of her case file if she has one

We as a country have to decide... is procreation without ability to fully support ones off spring forever supportable by others....no.. it isnt.. then responsible decisions should be made through birth control ..free sterilization.. change of thinking to lighten the load upon the world.

I gave a homeless man who walked around for years without shoes a pair of nice running shoes... he was in the booking cage the next day arrested for burglary... he could never run away before... cured me

Last edited by notmeofficer; 07-12-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 09:34 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
If it worked.. great..but I also feel convoluted
I would want to address the longer issues as much as a patrol officer could. So I would also so an immediate referral to social services for an intensive review of her case file if she has one

We as a country have to decide... is procreation without ability to fully support ones off spring forever supportable bu others....no.. it isnt.. then responsible decisions should be made through birth control ..free sterilization.. change of thinking to lighten the load upon the world.

I gave a homeless man who walked around for years without shoes a pair of nice running shoes... he was n the booking cage the next day arrested for burglary... he could never run away before... cured me
18 and I totally agree.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:35 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,335 times
Nice story.

But do bare necessities translate into $300? And they don't seem emaciated by any means.

Mick

Old 07-12-2015, 10:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Something is not computing here.

Story references the accidental drowning of Robinson's husband. The link takes us to the story of a 22 year old man. How many, if any of the 6 kids were his? The children, exclusive of the twins, all have different last names. Where are the other fathers?

Mom and 6 kids would recieve top priority from a Social Services agency for benefits, yet here they are living in a car and shoeless.

Why were 5/6 kids shoeless? Where are the hand me downs?

All look well fed from a caloric standpoint.

Reports say mom said she used her last dime for a security deposit on an apartment. But she lost it in a dispute with the landlord.

Regardless, the funds are pouring in to help mom and her 6 girls.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 07-12-2015 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Nice story. Officers do things like that all the time, while then referring people to social services, etc for aid.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
We as a country have to decide... is procreation without ability to fully support ones off spring forever supportable bu others....no.. it isnt.. then responsible decisions should be made through birth control ..free sterilization.. change of thinking to lighten the load upon the world.
It seems as if the people who make poor life choices that are the ones having the most kids, note that the toddler daughter has her ears pierced, gotta have priorities.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:14 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
It seems as if the people who make poor life choices that are the ones having the most kids, note that the toddler daughter has her ears pierced, gotta have priorities.
That seems to be the case with some of the people I've met over the years as well. Also, I've noticed that these same people are smokers. With cigarettes costing $5+/pack, but they are poor and their kids don't have the things they need, most of what they do have comes from forms of welfare. I know a mother of 3 who has had many many different jobs and she loses those jobs because she just doesn't go to work, so she gets fired after not showing up. She's perfectly content letting the system and other family members supply for her and her kids.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:28 PM

366 posts, read 493,935 times
Where is the man or men who fathered those children? Why isn't/aren't he/they being held accountable for part of their children's welfare? You can't just have kids and walk away leaving the woman with everything. She may have 6 kids but she sure didn't have them all by herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events