Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I can't think of a country on the planet that deems birthing women of sound mind. If someone wanted to test a product, such as a birthing chair, medical ethics would exclude women who are birthing because they are deemed "not of sound mind" at the moment of birth in a legal consent context.

Clearly, no birthing woman can consent to having a photo taken during childbirth. The only possibility here is that a brash male with a cell phone camera assumed that he could get away with photographing a birthing woman - perhaps assuming that no one would question whether birthing women are deemed "of sound mind" and capable of legal consent.

Birthing women are not capable of giving legal consent by definition of giving birth (labour and delivery), and are therefore not capable of a frame of mind to give the obnoxious Venezuelan doctor-wannabees permission to take a photograph of the birth for publication on the internet.
You're assuming that the question was asked (if it was asked) during the birthing process. I am pretty sure that women here who have had their deliveries videotaped gave permission before the process starts, not during, Given the widespread popularity of selfies I would not be at all surprised to find that some young women may think that it would be no big deal to have one during the birth, and have no qualms giving permission beforehand.
Not saying this is the case in this instance but it's possible.I knew a woman who was happy to show her Polaroids of her delivery, including the baby crowning, to anyone and everyone as she considered it a beautiful thing and nothing to be modest about. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You're assuming that the question was asked (if it was asked) during the birthing process. I am pretty sure that women here who have had their deliveries videotaped gave permission before the process starts, not during, Given the widespread popularity of selfies I would not be at all surprised to find that some young women may think that it would be no big deal to have one during the birth, and have no qualms giving permission beforehand.
Not saying this is the case in this instance but it's possible.I knew a woman who was happy to show her Polaroids of her delivery, including the baby crowning, to anyone and everyone as she considered it a beautiful thing and nothing to be modest about. Different strokes for different folks.
Nothing beautiful about it until baby takes his or her first breath on their own. That's the moment that reduces everyone to tears. Prior to that, birthing is exhausting, messy, humiliating, and certainly not something you'd want some jack hole taking a selfie with. I hope on her final push she sprayed him with urine and diarrhea.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:54 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The rooms are kept hot. Dunno if its common to strip off but I don't see how anyone could bear to keep any clothing on when labouring in that heat, and especially not a blanket! Don't really lie down for labour to stay under a blanket anyway, think I was on my knees a lot of the time shouting for help haha.
That is very interesting.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
That is very interesting.
Makes sense. Gravity is your friend in that situation.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:02 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Nothing beautiful about it until baby takes his or her first breath on their own. That's the moment that reduces everyone to tears. Prior to that, birthing is exhausting, messy, humiliating, and certainly not something you'd want some jack hole taking a selfie with. I hope on her final push she sprayed him with urine and diarrhea.
That's your opinion, obviously not shared by the people who haul videocams or whatever into the delivery room to record the entire experience.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's your opinion, obviously not shared by the people who haul videocams or whatever into the delivery room to record the entire experience.
Have you seen a birth, live?

Yes, it's an opinion, but when I was giving birth to my son, they had to turn the mirror away because I was so grossed out that I tried to get off the delivery bed!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:12 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
I find this the epitome of inappropriateness.

This is worse than funeral selfies since at least the dead are not able to be exploited in the photos and no one took an oath to "do no harm." The harm is not only to the patient but putting the perception into the American psyche that pregnant women are deserve no more respect than "selfie-props."

I'm able to forgive the EMTs *somewhat* easier than the doctors and nurses because although they have just as tough jobs as times, i don't think society gives them as much respect in general and so it does not surprise me when they don't live up to society's level of respect.

Shameful by all in charge of the shutter.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:00 PM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Makes sense. Gravity is your friend in that situation.
Yes. Birthing chairs, being upright. On your knees, naked in a hot room in the hospital, not so much but that's just me...just interesting how differently things are done, I was not aware.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:11 PM

432 posts, read 760,860 times
If it was my wife or girlfriend, I'd make sure that I found out when that doctor was having hemorrhoid surgery later on. I'd bust up in that OR, get snaps of him fully dilated, and tweet the hell out of them. We can see how he likes pictures of his anus reconstruction posted all over the web.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
JUST JOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very poor taste, Doc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAHf5mHsUL4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events