Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

Somebody needs a waaahmbulance. JFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 05:13 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Somebody needs a waaahmbulance. JFC.
Yeah, really. Girls/women can be used interchangeably. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country but "girl" can mean any age really. And I hear older women call the men they are dating boyfriend all the time, as the men use girlfriend.

Reminds me of an old post by a member: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23406128-post60.html

Quote:
As a woman myself (should be pretty obvious from my handle, but ya never know), I talk about being a woman a lot. That's cuz that's what I am... a woman. I talk about what I have experience with, and that's being a woman mostly.. I've had over 40 years experience with that. I can talk about being a mom too, which is the second most expierience I have (18 + years). But that's also being a woman, so it kinda goes hand in hand.

That being said I seldom say things like "I did pretty good for a woman" unless the situation warrants it. I.E. "I just drove a big rig accross the country, I did pretty good for a woman". Although even then I probably wouldn't say something like that, because there's very few things I feel a man can do that a woman can't.... maybe peeing standing up?? Yes, that would be a good situation for saying something like that. Now I might use the sentence "I did pretty good for a SMALL woman" or " I did pretty good for an old woman" (sarcastically of course) in many different situations because I am small and compared to my teenagers I am old. LOL!

Now sentences like "I'm a spunky girl" I say all the time. I say I'm a bubbly girl, a cutsie girl, I'm not a froofy girlie girl, but I am a fun girl. LOL! But no matter what other adjective I use, I will always be a girl (even when I"m 120 years old, I will consider myself to be a girl, that's just me).
Oh noes guess lkb will certainly be upset now!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:13 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point, lkb. You would not see "four handsome young men died today..." in a news story.
You didn't see that headline regarding these girls, either. It was posters commenting on the story who said they were beautiful, not the story itself.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:02 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You didn't see that headline regarding these girls, either. It was posters commenting on the story who said they were beautiful, not the story itself.
LOL, good point.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:15 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Are we just learning in this thread that the society values beautiful people more than mediocre/ugly people?

Study after study have found that being very attractive is as beneficial to one's career as having an advance degree or good grades.

Thanks goodness they all get fat and ugly sooner or later, mostly by the time they give birth or by 40 at the latest (without makeup). Or so I tell myself as I weep into a pillow.

Mick

Old 07-25-2015, 01:48 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Yeah, really. Girls/women can be used interchangeably. Maybe it's different in other parts of the country but "girl" can mean any age really. And I hear older women call the men they are dating boyfriend all the time, as the men use girlfriend.

Reminds me of an old post by a member: http://www.city-data.com/forum/23406128-post60.html

Oh noes guess lkb will certainly be upset now!
Just because it is used interchangeably doesn't mean it isn't demeaning. Your argument basically boils down to everyone else does it so it is fine. But it isn't, it is a small but obvious example of how society as a whole treats women as girls, especially when combined with the fact that their loss of life is somehow worse because they were "beautiful".

Its demeaning to 4 women, who had a whole lot more to them than being pretty and sad for families who valued them for more than that as well.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:54 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Just because it is used interchangeably doesn't mean it isn't demeaning. Your argument basically boils down to everyone else does it so it is fine. But it isn't, it is a small but obvious example of how society as a whole treats women as girls, especially when combined with the fact that their loss of life is somehow worse because they were "beautiful".

Its demeaning to 4 women, who had a whole lot more to them than being pretty and sad for families who valued them for more than that as well.
At what age is the cut off to stop calling them girls?

Old 07-25-2015, 05:29 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
At what age is the cut off to stop calling them girls?
There is no cutoff age.

I was born a girl, I will die a girl.

It is really simple... I am a girl because I am not a boy!

Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Uhh..It's only demeaning to YOU! Maybe a few others but in my experience regardless of age girl/woman is so interchangeable it's hardly noticed. Tell me, would you consider it demeaning to men to be called boys? Such as "The boys are out having fun" or "Hanging out with the boys"? Whatever...

Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Steven Romeo, 55, was given a blood test an hour and 40 minutes after the crash and the results were .066, which falls under the legal DWI threshold of .08. But by then he had likely sobered up as his body metabolized the booze.
Driver who smashed limo was below legal DWI limit

This is a problem. The BAC limit needs to be lowered to .04. No way in hell should anyone be driving with a BAC of .06.

.04 is where the driver becomes a risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events