Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 01:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Black Mississippi Flag Supporter Dies in Traffic Accident - ABC News

Daily Mail of course gives more information because, though they can report too quickly and sometimes be sensationalist or inaccurate, they don't hold back and they are not PC: Black Mississippi Confederate flag supporter dies when his car was forced off road | Daily Mail Online

Interesting story. If the woman's account is true, then how sad that this man was killed, by other black men essentially, for choosing to carry and be proud of the Confederate flag. I mean, the men chasing them and screaming at them from their own car could be unrelated, but it's certainly suspicious, especially because Hervey was a well-known Confederate supporter in the area and even wrote a book on it.

I have said numerous times here already that I don't believe the flag should be outlawed (not sure how it even could be in this country) but the decision to fly it on public/government property needs to be reevaluated. Citizens should absolutely have the right to fly the flag, wear it, be proud of their heritage, however controversial it may be. If this guy was genuinely proud of the Confederate flag, for whatever reason and however stupid people may think it is, he didn't deserve to be run off the road and killed by others who felt he should not feel the way he did. We can't legislate thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:05 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
this is such a sad story....i hope these lowlifes pay...i think all the government involvement in the flag has just made things worse and making some people feel entitled to behave this way...i think it's just going to keep getting worse.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
this is such a sad story....i hope these lowlifes pay...i think all the government involvement in the flag has just made things worse and making some people feel entitled to behave this way...i think it's just going to keep getting worse.
Though I think the Confederate flag should no longer fly on government property and even individual citizens, IMO, should reevaluate its meaning and their decision to fly it, I think South Carolina acted ridiculously in focusing on the flag and taking it down in response to the one shooting. The problem is racism, mental illness, maybe even access to guns if you want to go that route - not the flag. So the shooter often was shown with a Confederate flag? So are plenty of country fans who never once get violent with anyone. I saw Tim McGraw here in NJ over the weekend and Confederate flags were popping up here and there while tailgating, even inside the venue. The flag is not the issue - it's not even an issue at all IMHO.

And to think someone was killed potentially just because others didn't like that he supported the flag - unbelievable. People need to worry about themselves. You, as an individual citizen, can't control what other people do, not in a country like this. You have no right to.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:12 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Though I think the Confederate flag should no longer fly on government property and even individual citizens, IMO, should reevaluate its meaning and their decision to fly it, I think South Carolina acted ridiculously in focusing on the flag and taking it down in response to the one shooting. The problem is racism, mental illness, maybe even access to guns if you want to go that route - not the flag. So the shooter often was shown with a Confederate flag? So are plenty of country fans who never once get violent with anyone. I saw Tim McGraw here in NJ over the weekend and Confederate flags were popping up here and there while tailgating, even inside the venue. The flag is not the issue - it's not even an issue at all IMHO.

And to think someone was killed potentially just because others didn't like that he supported the flag - unbelievable. People need to worry about themselves. You, as an individual citizen, can't control what other people do, not in a country like this. You have no right to.

i think we've just gotten too quick to judge the reason for the crime...for example, if a white person hurts a black person, or gay person, it's automatically a hate crime...why not just a crime because the person couldn't deal?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
i think we've just gotten too quick to judge the reason for the crime...for example, if a white person hurts a black person, or gay person, it's automatically a hate crime...why not just a crime because the person couldn't deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events