Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,000 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/mediatakeou...3886776976603/

I usually DESPISE Mediatakeout, but this video really hits home for me.

I attended some of the worst public schools in Pennsylvania when I lived in the ghetto as a little kid. Between 2003-2009 (3rd-8th grade), I was bullied in this manner all because I was a black kid who wanted to get out of the ghetto. I "talked white", did my work, made honor roll 7 out of 9 times between 6th (when the program was started)-8th grade, made it into a gifted program, and graduated near the top of my middle school class. I got the hell out of my old school district and attended a private Catholic HS. I graduated in 2013 and am now a rising junior in college.

Why is success equated with "whiteness"? Why is academic passion/prowess looked down upon? Why do the underclass of black people try to drag those black men and women who are trying to succeed down by saying that they are less black? This attitude is why so many black people are where they are today. It has nothing to do with the white man or "oppression", but rather this attitude. When I attended Catholic HS, I was NEVER harassed for trying to succeed by my white peers. They treated me as an equal and I never had any problems.

The best revenge is success. Sure, the victim did give the thug bully a good a** kicking, but his future success will be the salt in the thug's wound. I love driving around the area I grew up in (I return because some family still lives there) and seeing those who bullied me either in jail or on the streets with nothing going for them. In the end, I won and they lost. While I am set towards becoming an actuary or financial analyst, all some of those former bullies will ever be are small-time drug dealers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
I cannot believe this ridiculous concept of being a 'sellout' still exists in this universe.

I think some professional athlete not too long ago was insulted for being a 'sellout' or being too 'white' or something?

The media needs to do a better job of focusing on successful and high achieving black people, instead of nonstop media coverage of black criminals.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 713,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I cannot believe this ridiculous concept of being a 'sellout' still exists in this universe.

I think some professional athlete not too long ago was insulted for being a 'sellout' or being too 'white' or something?

The media needs to do a better job of focusing on successful and high achieving black people, instead of nonstop media coverage of black criminals.
Kobe Bryant got criticized coming into the league because he wasnt "black" enough and didnt have any street cred

Old 08-04-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I absolutely agree! Personally, I think the term "sellout" is an attack on individuality. When someone calls someone else a "sellout", it implies that since that person has certain features, they must be bound to a certain way of living. If they deviate from that way of living, they have betrayed the group that they share certain features with. It's ridiculous! Just because I listen to Elton John and Smashing Pumpkins does not make me any less black

And yes, there are plenty of successful black men and women. They are out there, but the media tends to show the underclass of black people. Luckily, I had one to look up to as a kid: my mom. She had me at 18 (I was her first child), had no job, only a high school diploma, and raised me in Chester, PA and West Philadelphia. She started out at the bottom of the employment ladder, but worked her way up to an executive position at her company! Now we are middle/upper-middle class. She also instilled the value of hard work and education into my little brother and two sisters. I'm in college, my little bro will finish Basic Training for the US Army next Friday, and my sisters are excelling in school. She actually inspires me to work hard in college because she works full time and will be getting her BA in Psychology this spring. I lucked out by having a role model like her!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

I attended some of the worst public schools in Pennsylvania when I lived in the ghetto as a little kid. Between 2003-2009 (3rd-8th grade), I was bullied in this manner all because I was a black kid who wanted to get out of the ghetto. I "talked white", did my work, made honor roll 7 out of 9 times between 6th (when the program was started)-8th grade, made it into a gifted program, and graduated near the top of my middle school class. I got the hell out of my old school district and attended a private Catholic HS. I graduated in 2013 and am now a rising junior in college.

Why is success equated with "whiteness"? Why is academic passion/prowess looked down upon? Why do the underclass of black people try to drag those black men and women who are trying to succeed down by saying that they are less black? This attitude is why so many black people are where they are today. It has nothing to do with the white man or "oppression", but rather this attitude. When I attended Catholic HS, I was NEVER harassed for trying to succeed by my white peers. They treated me as an equal and I never had any problems.

The best revenge is success. Sure, the victim did give the thug bully a good a** kicking, but his future success will be the salt in the thug's wound. I love driving around the area I grew up in (I return because some family still lives there) and seeing those who bullied me either in jail or on the streets with nothing going for them. In the end, I won and they lost. While I am set towards becoming an actuary or financial analyst, all some of those former bullies will ever be are small-time drug dealers.
This attitude is very real. Just talking intelligently at all can get a person in trouble if in the wrong neighborhoods.

The attempt to get out of a bad environment is also looked down upon on many of our Indian reservations no different than in the black ghettos.

Congratulations to you PhilliesPhan. It's better to emulate Dr. Ben Carson than Kanye West.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
This attitude is very real. Just talking intelligently at all can get a person in trouble if in the wrong neighborhoods.

The attempt to get out of a bad environment is also looked down upon on many of our Indian reservations no different than in the black ghettos.

Congratulations to you PhilliesPhan. It's better to emulate Dr. Ben Carson than Kanye West.
I've done a ton of research on Indian reservations. From what I have gathered, they seem like alcohol-dependent, drug-infested, depressing places. You are absolutely right in that it seems no different from the black ghettos. If my college still has the exchange program going on with a Tribal college, I would love to partake in it. I would love to see if what exists in the black community also exists in the Native American community.

And thank you! Dr. Ben Carson was and still is an idol of mine. He grew up under similar, if not worse, circumstances than I did in Baltimore during a more turbulent time period in US history. I believe that if black men like him can be successful in high positions, than any black person can with enough hard work and determination.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
I think that the attitude / bullying you are describing ( calling kids a sellout etc) is a huge part of what is holding back a large portion of the black underclass. One of my best friends had to put up with this kind of crap, even into adulthood.

She was called an Oreo and such, even in the workplace! ( not to her face ). Well, guess what? She's a well paid executive now, and those ghetto fabulous girls are still stuck in low paying jobs.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,934,141 times
I think you need to explain this mentality to the rest of us, because we just don't get it.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,615 times
remember that these are all black children who grow up without fathers. their fathers are indeed the rappers ("gangsta" which really means CEO for blacks) who sell violence and ebonics in their music. therefore if you want any type of "cred," you must speak in ebonics and sag your pants and make teeth sucking sounds if something doesn't go your way. why is this video even a surprise?

a small % of blacks hate this nonsense and have the ability to run away from it thx to their education/talents/job skillset. where? to white areas of course and they try their best to stay quiet and live professional lives.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 PM

116 posts, read 86,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

Thats a shame man. Nobody should ever be bullied because they want to do well for themselves

Congrats on doing good things with your life man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events