Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 02:53 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What I don't agree with is people losing their jobs over something they said or how they legally expressed themselves in their private lives. I may not agree with some peoples attitudes, lifestyles or words but if we as individuals want to be free to live as we choose and express ourselves we also have to accept those things that we find disagreeable in others. All this cowering to PC backlash is creating an atmosphere of censorship, fear and mistrust and is going to lead to witch hunts.

Well, think of the positive side. Soon people will actually have to SPEAK to each other when they want to make fun of someone or vent their racist attitudes, instead of texting!

Then that WILL be private!

Quote:
All this cowering to PC backlash is creating an atmosphere of censorship, fear and mistrust and is going to lead to witch hunts.
Oh, I doubt that. But, those people who perpetuate such nonsense may, in time, diminish in numbers. That would be a very good thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 04:10 PM

305 posts, read 724,243 times
I'm reading the article, and I don't see any racial comments made by Gerod. So he was basically fired for posting a photo of a black kid, and comments he has to control over?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:13 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I'm reading the article, and I don't see any racial comments made by Gerod. So he was basically fired for posting a photo of a black kid, and comments he has to control over?
Did you read this thread? See the comments below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its obvious that some of you did not click on the link.....

In the uncensored image the child's face is FULLY visible

The Facebook comments were as follows:

Friend 1: I didn't know you were a slave owner (10 likes)

Friend 2: Help feed this pour child today (2 likes)

Friend 3: But massa, I dindu nuffin (7 likes)

Friend 4: I'll feed you but first let me take a selfie (6 likes)

Friend 5: Pls tell me his name is Toby??? (1 likes)

Friend 4: Kunta...Kunta Kinte (5 likes)

Friend 6: Dude where the hell did you get a black kid?? (3 likes)

Friend 7: The black market (8 likes)

Gerod Roth: He was feral (6 likes)

Friend 4: Ahh, the feral black kids are always...(the rest of the post was cut off)

Friend 5: Sambo??? (posts picture of a little black Sambo eating watermelon cartoon) (6 likes)

Friend 6: Send him back dude those _uckers are expensive

Friend 8: #Blacklivesmatter (6 likes)

Friend 6" Why is he feral though?

Gerod Roth: Because he was abandoned in the atlanta projects, to fend for himself, he is deaf mute, ca't properly communicate and is in and out of a shelter home, that is the definition of feral

There were more comments and also these comments were made by white, Hispanic and Asian friends of this guy

Do you still think he did not make racial comments??

Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
He actually did join in...but even if he didn't, "and comments he has [no] control over", is wrong. He couldve done any of the following:

A: told everybody to knock it off.
B: deleted the post.
C: deleted certain comments.
D: told everyone it was his co-workers son in the first place, instead of making it look like the kid was some random drifter out of a hungry children ad.
E: not post the picture in the first place.

Then when he was interviewed, instead of pulling the victim card, he couldve:

A: apologized.

He chose none of those options. He gets fired. He deserves it. People keep saying "but it wasn't his comments!" Doesn't matter, it was his post, making him responsible. He reeps what he sew.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Atlanta Man Loses Job, Upsets Mother after Facebook Post - Story | WAGA

He does scream "privileged", which is probably why he doesn't understand why people are making such a fuss out of this. And he doesn't seem sincere too me, he gives off more a "trying to save face" vibe. And of course he has to make it about himself being victimized.

Yes, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably didn't MEAN for any of this to happen, but he didn't TRY to stop it, and thats where he strikes out.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 10-06-2015 at 04:59 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 04:44 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
His employer did the right thing. He's a walking liability and a PR disaster. do a stupid thing and have no sense of judgment or propriety or civility... I could go on... and you should get fired.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
He posts a picture of himself (with bewildered/annoyed expression) with child perfectly framed in the background. He's not interacting with the child, just setting up the image so he can make it his Facebook profile pic. Why does he do this? To set the platform for some type of child mockery? He then calls the child "feral." If he had stopped there, maybe he could have convinced some that he was just mocking children running around a place of business.

But he does not stop there. He lets racist comments (against a child of a co-worker!) accumulate on his Facebook page without interceding (did he "like" these comments?). And then he goes into his little spiel about the boy being feral, poor, from the projects. And after all that, he does not seem to offer sincere apology. Not once does he treat the child (or child's mother) as a human being. He just set him up as a prop to be ridiculed without apology.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
I don't buy the guy's plea. I'm only sorry the mom was brought to cheers. The comments were filthier than dirt. That the guy could have deleted them and didn't,,, well, that speaks of his lowly character.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:24 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Wait, so he basically took a selfie with a black child and he was fired for it? The commentators were the guilty ones. They were the ones with the vile comments. Why fire the guy who took the selfie? Just because he has racist friends or what? This doesn't make sense.

Political correctness has gone over the top nowadays.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Wait, so he basically took a selfie with a black child and he was fired for it? The commentators were the guilty ones. They were the ones with the vile comments. Why fire the guy who took the selfie? Just because he has racist friends or what? This doesn't make sense.

Political correctness has gone over the top nowadays.
When are we going to move away from "PC" being... nevermind.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events