Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Here is his apology/explanation to the public:

Don't know what to think....
I know what to think: I think his 'legal team' (that he mentioned several times) earned their pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:40 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,430,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
He thinks that he is a "victim"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKIqORkYy8
People like him always think they're victims. Victims of poltical correctness, feminazis, *******s, etc, etc, who won't give them free range to be vile and hateful.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:42 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
I believe his "apology" to be sincere...
The way he described how this ensued was exactly how I initially thought it happened.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Not sure what you are referring to..
I think it's pretty obvious. Some groups of people will always get the benefit of the doubt, while other groups get, "well, that's just typical of _____".

Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No it's not. It's silly to think that way.

It was a joke.

The only fools are those who think jokingly calling a kid feral is racist.

The sad thing is you have people with these same twisted mindsets who think a joke about a kid being an animal is racist are in charge of hiring, firing, managing, and policing people and that's a real scary thought.
So the people that have "twisted mindsets" here are the ones who take offense to a grown man calling a 3 year old a feral child, in response to racist and disrespectful comments made on a photo in which he did not have permission to post?

I...just wow.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Not difficult to figure out the direction your moral compass is pointing.
Why, because I'm not outraged if a person refers to a kid as feral?

I assume you boycott comedy shows to keep your head from exploding.

As I said before, the racist posts were vile. I also feel that Roth's follow up to his feral explanation (which I didn't see until later) was in very bad taste and had hints of racism.

However, referring to a kid as feral in a humorous way is just that, humorous.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
So the people that have "twisted mindsets" here are the ones who take offense to a grown man calling a 3 year old a feral child, in response to racist and disrespectful comments made on a photo in which he did not have permission to post?

I...just wow.
Agreed. I get that his posts weren't certainly the most derogatory but it was his FB page with his FB friends posting. He added fuel to the fire. He did not try to defuse the situation or alert his FB friends that their posts were out of line and racist.

And by that, he is just as guilty as them (at least morally)

Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,586 times
Please. He's only sorry because he got fired and publicly shamed, as he should be.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:27 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why, because I'm not outraged if a person refers to a kid as feral?

I assume you boycott comedy shows to keep your head from exploding.

As I said before, the racist posts were vile. I also feel that Roth's follow up to his feral explanation (which I didn't see until later) was in very bad taste and had hints of racism.

However, referring to a kid as feral in a humorous way is just that, humorous.
You can argue that Hitler was not as bad as he was portrayed but that doesn't prove that he wasn't. What was posted on FB wasn't funny and the person who posted it isn't a comedian. He knew or at least should have known the type of response it would have drawn from his friends. If he didn't know how some of his so called friends would responded then he is (1) a poor judge of character and (2) should reevaluate who is true friends really are. You don't have to be outraged by his actions but trying to make excuses for his behavior tells me something about your conscience.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:30 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Good point, and eloquently articulatd argument.

But... two things. First of all, there are mistakes, and then there are - mistakes. Something like this is more of a mistake than a simple mistake. This one is going to carry a few more consequences, just as forgetting to lock the front door and turn on the burglar alarm as you leave for the day is going to have more severe consequences than forgetting to change the toner cartridge on the printer.

And second - I would argue that the worker in question wasn't even fired for making a mistake in the first place. He was fired for damaging the business to a degree that the owner felt could only be corrected by letting him go, to show clients and potential clients that this company does not condone or support such behavior. His continued presence on that company's staff would have cost the business money, and I believe the owner made a simple determination that he was just not worth the revenue he was taking away from the company. Nothing but a simple, straightforward business decision.

As for the rest of it - people like me being gleeful that he lost his job, and hoping that it hurts him badly and has a longterm negative effect on his life - I'll own that, and not be the least bit shy about it. I despise a racist, especially one who deliberately hurts children with his racist behavior, and I have no problem admitting I take pleasure in seeing one suffer severe consequences for their despicable actions.

Does that make me a bad person? That's for others to decide. I won't make an argument one way or the other on that issue. But I will say that if this means I'm a flawed human being, then I feel that I'm flawed in all the right ways and for all the right reasons. When I look in the mirror, I'm good with who I see looking back.
An interesting response, as well. And that is why I said, "So for me, the question is not whether the poster in the story was or wasn't wrong -- he was clearly irresponsible and should suffer consequences -- but whether he should (as you put it) "be fired, be unemployable, live under a bridge"."

In many states you can still be fired for being gay. So let's say an employee came out on his Facebook page and his employer in that state felt that hurt his business and fired him. What then?

I do like that you say, "Does that make me a bad person? That's for others to decide. I won't make an argument one way or the other on that issue. But I will say that if this means I'm a flawed human being, then I feel that I'm flawed in all the right ways and for all the right reasons. When I look in the mirror, I'm good with who I see looking back."

Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Who cares. Just more proof you don't know whats important. Trying to be right instead of looking for the truth.

And what is the truth? How YOU feel? Your "truth" is no more "truth" than my opinion.

Falsely playing the race card on the man who got fired. All because he has racist internet friends.

This entire thing is all about race, so I don't need to play a "race card". And even if he was in no way culpable, his so-called "internet acquaintances" clearly made offensive, racist posts and he didn't say anything to refute/rebut/stop the situation. From what I've subsequently read, he was fired due to not only this situation but due to other unspecified reasons. And I say good. It's stupid to post (or allow others to post on your FB) such garbage on a page that can be publicly revealed to employers, family members, and the general public.

No it's not obvious and you have no proof. Just a twisted agenda.
Again I'm basing it on the 2 comments that have been posted. Why hasn't anyone posted his other comments? If he did make a racist comment, and no the feral comment isn't, then why haven't they been posted? If I saw he made racist comments I'd let it be known.

Just use google. I can't be bothered to take screen shots, sorry. And you don't any proof either to refute what I said. Yours is a counter-opinion, nothing more.

Well then, you must be right since you said white people agree with you. So the white people who disagree with you don't count? I don't card what race you are. People don't do things because of the color of their skin, they do things because of what they're made of. Actions define the individual, not their skin color.

I don't care about being right or wrong here. Especially when it involves subjective matter like this where there will always be someone who doesn't agree. You're not going to change my opinion and I'm sure I'm not gonna change yours, so....? I will agree that actions do define the individual, not the skin color. I've always adhered to that credo. That being said, Roth's actions (from what I've seen) aren't exactly like those of a choir-boy, so let's stop with the charades. I can tell you that if any of my friends posted that trash, I'd unfriend them AND I'd let them know clearly that I won't tolerate that BS on my facebook page.

You want him fired because he has racist internet friends. He isn't responsible for others actions, just his own actions. The "tolerant" left strikes again.

He has already been fired, so that's a moot point. BTW, I am not on the left. And I'm not tolerant of a supposedly grown, mature man (and his "friends") lampooning a three year old child (without the parent's knowledge). I feel not one bit of sympathy for any of them. You can counter all you want, it won't change anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events