Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
As far as claiming to call 'wandering children' feral....yeah, right. Pardon me if I don't believe that.
A quick CD search found me feral children references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
THANK YOU!!! No more feral children running amok because their "parents" refuse to be .... parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:54 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

This forum is so damn maddening, sometimes.
ATG5, I can't rep you again (yet!), but I feel the same way. I'm getting pretty burned out...

Oh, and I would have no problem using my real name here. The photo I posted is really me!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
All I'm saying is, free speech isnt necessarily free if there's consequences to what you say. Maybe they should change the term.

Its meaning is only lost to the dumbest.
You want to be able to say you're going to shoot up a school or kill the POTUS without any consequences?

Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you are Kevinm, also?

That was ONE reference. Singular; plural. There is a difference!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Here's what Gerod posted so you can see the context:

Friend 6:" Why is he feral though?

Gerod Roth: Because he was abandoned in the atlanta projects, to fend for himself, he is deaf mute, ca't properly communicate and is in and out of a shelter home, that is the definition of feral

Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
While I don't condone the attitude and conduct of the FB posters, its someones FB page for Pete's sake. I thought we had something called freedom of speech.

And really? How were they forced to endure it? Do people just spend their days scouring FB postings of random people until they find something that offends them.

I have FB with a limited number of friends and family. They are the only people who see what I post and they are the only other peoples FB page I read. If they become offensive I unfriend them. A wise man once said, "If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out".

If your easily offended STOP looking for things to be offended by. We are not forced to be subjected to anything anyone posts on their FB page.
You know.... when I read the OP, my first thought was, 'no one in this forum can actually defend this guy. The resident racists wouldn't dare.' How wrong I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Really? Because from age 18 to 43 I have mostly been around White and Hispanic people and no one talks like this.

You must hang out with some really low-class White people. Do you live on a White supremacist compound maybe?
Oh, yes...how wrong I was.

It's very funny that many people on this forum can lump all black people together, but when the shoe is on the other foot? It is comical how upset people can become. Yet, when blacks do it we are 'playing the race card'.

Anyway,

The guy that posted the Facebook picture showed an awful lack of decency and common sense. Also, he works for a marketing firm, correct? Where image is everything?

The feral comment was bad enough, but he said more than that.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Disgusting behavior. Kudos to the employer for the swift firing. Companies should have zero tolerance for this type of thing, and it could have been particularly harmful for a marketing company.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:59 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Vector1, you have made a valid point.

Not about this case, in particular, but I have felt for many years that Americans are too much in the Donald Trump mode of: "You're fired!" Fire a waitress for bad service. Fire a teacher for one comment. Etc.

I don't think people should be fired for one mistake (unless it is really egregious), but rather they should have the opportunity to learn from their mistake, make amends, and only fired after a pattern of such mistakes.
I think you are right in general, but not about ths guy in particular. He seems to have deliberately posed with a co workers child solely to solicit and to make aggresively rascist comments. This shows fore thought.

In short, I would agree with you. if the indication were: Guy posts a picture of many things, including a black child under the heading of "My Family Day at Work". Then, one or two other people post some non pc comments. The guy then does not affirm or rebuke the comments.

But, the whole purpose of the guy's picture evidently was to solicit comments from viciously rascist friends. This is far different than: "I just got caught up in the moment"

Last edited by Cryptic; 10-06-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 12:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
When I post, it's a picture of me, my friends, my dog, stuff like that. So yeah, I know by now the usual people who are going to like it and leave comments. That's not much of a stretch. Plus, I don't post anything that I know (because I'm halfway intelligent) is going to incite a response that could potentially be controversial and reflect poorly on me like this guy did.

And I also can use this crazy "delete" function if and when someone comments something that's not appropriate. So if he didn't share those feelings, why leave them up? Delete them and move on. Stop deflecting.

Lol, once again. I hear certain groups need to have accountability for actions of others they can't control, but apparently this guy is a victim and shouldn't have been fired, because he can't/shouldn't be accountable for the content on his own PUBLIC Facebook page.

He's the victim, and not the 3 year old, whom I sure didn't give this guy consent to take and post a picture of him on social media.

And it's not being an expert on a stranger. It's called common sense.

This forum is so damn maddening, sometimes.
You are basing what you believe his motivations are as well as his use and even technical knowledge of FB on yourself. Sorry, but that's not very honest.

I don't know what his motivations are or things like how often he checks FB.

He could be a racist, but I'm not going to say I know.

I also said I have no issue with his employer firing him.

My main comment on this is that people are essentially convicting him on social media and celebrating him being fired based on very little information.

I find that to be a little scary.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:03 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You say you dont condone this, yet you say "stop being offended by everything." Pretty contradicting. You dont say anything about the vile, bigoted posters calling the boy "sambo" and using the slave vernacular, you just go on about people being too "offended." Nice priorities.

This isnt the Ariana Grande story where she licked donuts and said America sucks, this serious. If youre NOT offended by this, that shows where your priorities lie.
No I don't condone the types of comments I see on FB or CD for that matter but I don't take personal offense when those comments aren't directed at me personally. And no I'm not going to lower myself by using derogatory words toward people I don't know (the "vile bigots") as did those posters. I dont see anything contradictory about that. I don't go looking for things to be offended about and certainly don't go after someones livelihood because they made a derogatory comment that wasn't intended for me to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I wish folks would read the fist amendment before throwing out the Freedom of Speech argument.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Basically, you can't go around publicly spouting garbage without the risk of consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think you understand what freedom of speech entails.

The government did not arrest him. He is free to say despicable things. Not the same as being free from any consequences.
Thank you Captain(s) obvious.
We are seeing a trend where peoples personal offhand remarks, associations, even attire are creating negative consequences via strangers copying FB posts and using video on open social media to get others fired and even putting their lives in danger. Is this where we want to go.

We will assume no one in this room has ever made a derogatory comment, no blond jokes, Pollock jokes, never mocked, made historical references to or any type of negative stereotype relating to any gender, sexual orientation, religion, race, culture, physical or mental aliment or physical characteristic of any other human being. Right. ok.

Public. I guess that is open to interpretation. They were not saying these things in the grocery store or public gathering with the intentions of sharing their comments with the community as a whole. One has to consciously turn on their device, go to someone's FB page and scroll thru and read others conversations. Ok so FB being public I guess that is open for interpretation also. I don't consider FB an open forum. If someone on my friends list takes a conversation between my other friends and re posts it and shares it with others to me it is the equivalent of reading and re distributing my mail. But there is a lot of gray area. It is becoming where nothing is private and it is best not to put to print any of your private thoughts least someone read them and be offended. Be careful what you say, make sure you look over your shoulder least someone is video taping you with their cell phone, posts your words on social media and you lose your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I see, so it's her friend's fault!!! If a friends husband was cheating on her, and someone told her, would you blame the person who told the wife, or would you blame the cheating husband? wow

If I read the article correctly (did you read it?) some of the people commenting are the mother's co-workers.

If someone I worked with was talking about my child in that manner I'd sure as hell want to know about it.
See how it goes. Never said it was her friends fault.!!!!!!
Yes I read it. Didn't read all the comments tho.
You know they might be taking about your child. Better check out all of their FB pages and their friends FB pages and their friends friends FB pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events