Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 12:08 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,834,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Two people were hit with bullets Sunday during a gunfight re-enactment in the Old West town of Tombstone that was supposed to involve blanks. The Tombstone Marshal's Office said actor Tom Carter's guns fired live rounds, hitting a fellow member of the group.
Quote:
CBS Tuscon affiliate KOLD-TV, citing the Cochise County Sheriff's Office, reports Ken Curtis was struck in the upper-groin area. Curtis fell to the ground and was flown to a hospital in Tucson, where he underwent surgery to remove the bullet. Other rounds struck businesses and a female bystander. The sheriff's office told KOLD says the woman was hit by shrapnel and refused medical treatment.

KOLD says Carter arrived late and didn't have his gun properly inspected.
Gunfight re-enactment goes awry in Tombstone, Arizona - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,419,328 times
oops.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:40 PM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times
As a side note, historic as Old Tombstone is, I found it to be the biggest historical rip off I ever experienced. Every single building and site was a separate entrance fee. I felt totally soaked after visiting. Not that it wasn't interesting.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:47 PM

15,804 posts, read 20,564,111 times
Damn that sucks.

I always thought an unwritten rule to reenacting was to never actually aim your firearm at someone regardless of blanks or not. Always aim to miss.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Damn that sucks.

I always thought an unwritten rule to reenacting was to never actually aim your firearm at someone regardless of blanks or not. Always aim to miss.
Yea, aiming a real firearm at someone in a non defensive manner violates fundamental rules of firearm safety. I would have a hard time doing something like that.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:52 PM

15,542 posts, read 10,528,971 times
I haven't been in years, but it was pretty much a tourist trap back then too. Oddly enough, I liked it anyway. Anywho, Tom Carter sure made a stupid mistake, really dumb.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:02 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,395,459 times
I trained with blanks in law enforcement once where we would be firing at each other. We could not take any live ammunition to the range those days. Before we entered the training house, we had to hold the blanks that were issued in our palm and an empy magazine, and weapon with the slide to the rear in the other hand.

The blanks, the weapon and the magazine were then checked twice (once by the individual, once by a range safety instructor). I knew why then, know I really know why.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I trained with blanks in law enforcement once where we would be firing at each other. We could not take any live ammunition to the range those days. Before we entered the training house, we had to hold the blanks that were issued in our palm and an empy magazine, and weapon with the slide to the rear in the other hand.

The blanks, the weapon and the magazine were then checked twice (once by the individual, once by a range safety instructor). I knew why then, know I really know why.
That would really wig me out.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:09 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,395,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
That would really wig me out.
The same with me.

Looking at another "friendly" through the site, and then firing the weapon was just eerie. As you mentioned, it violates every rule of weapons safety. I had to will myself to do it. Even after several cycles of training, I never really liked it.

Ironically, I had far less of a mental problem with friendlies firing their weapons at me. Who knows, maybe I should have kept an eye on the guys who seemed to be liking it a little too much .

Old 10-19-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
The same with me.

Looking at another "friendly" through the site, and then firing the weapon was just eerie. As you mentioned, it violates every rule of weapons safety. I had to will myself to do it. Even after several cycles of training, I never really liked it.

Ironically, I had far less of a mental problem with friendlies firing their weapons at me. Who knows, maybe I shoould have kept an eye on the guys who seemed to be liking it a little too much.
Paintball would seem a more usable tool in this scenario. Heck even airsoft. No way I could take a firearm loaded with blanks and shoot at someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events