Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
Her comment was spot on and statistics point out the blacks are more likely to commit crime so that gives many people reason to be cautious around them. It's about playing the odds.
And that is also the case for black people being approached by police. "Law abiding" is frequently irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:41 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
What proof is there that they were loitering?
look up the definition of loitering

Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And that is also the case for black people being approached by police. "Law abiding" is frequently irrelevant.
I am still waiting for some source that explains exactly what the three teens were doing hanging around the ATM.

ANYONE hanging around an ATM for much time is likely to get approached by the police. And personally, I'm glad of that.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No their race is NOT a valid reason for them to be approached. Someone calling in because she felt intimidated by the fact that they were loitering outside of an ATM (a very lucrative place to mug someone) is however a perfectly valid reason to approach someone.

How in the world is this difficult to grasp?

Old 10-21-2015, 01:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Police messed up again, and another settlement will be paid out because of their response to a call from someone who had a suspicion that something was wrong. When does it stop?? Transcript of 911 call that led to restraining of UDC student by police released - Story | WTTG
They were loitering at the door of a bank. I do think that was suspicious. No harm in checking it out. And when the guy ran....running is legally proof of guilt. I do think they were up to no good.

Have YOU ever loitered near a bank door with pals? I haven't. Worth checking it out. No harm done. If I were standing there, and opening the door for people (interacting with the bank customers like that), and the cops walked up and asked me what I was doing there, I would simply explain. I might be miffed, but it's no big deal. I shouldn't have been loitering right at the entrance to the bank, and interacting with the customers.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:09 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
Her comment was spot on and statistics point out the blacks are more likely to commit crime so that gives many people reason to be cautious around them. It's about playing the odds.
"Playing the odds" is the new name for stereotyping now?

So, Kathryn,

Do you agree with him?

Old 10-21-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
"Playing the odds" is the new name for stereotyping now?

So, Kathryn,

Do you agree with him?
I'm not going to play your game.

I have already stated that as a bank manager, if I saw several people - of ANY color or age or gender - hanging around the ATM for any significant amount of time, I'd call the police. I would do so because the bank I worked at did not have a security guard on staff. Not all banks do. And in my job as bank manager, I was basically trained and paid to be very alert to any suspicious activity. And no, I would not approach a group of young men outside on bank property acting suspiciously myself - I would be outnumbered and that would be irresponsible on my part.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:16 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not going to play your game.

I have already stated that as a bank manager, if I saw several people - of ANY color or age or gender - hanging around the ATM for any significant amount of time, I'd call the police. I would do so because the bank I worked at did not have a security guard on staff. Not all banks do.

I didn't make the statement - you did. The person that I quoted said the same thing that you did, and now it's "my game"?

LOL

Okay.

I love how everyone blames black people for their own narrow minded thinking.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He ran when cops show up. That is a sure sign of doing something you shouldn't be doing.
Conservatives around here are fond of ridiculing the idea of white privilege, but your response is a perfect example of it.

As a middle-aged (or beyond) white guy it would never occur to me to run when the police show up. It would also never occur to me that I am at risk of being shot or brutalized when the police show up.

The experience of a young black man is very different, and the idea that he might be illegally assaulted by the police unless he escapes is not at all unreasonable.

Our white privilege means we never even have to think about it.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I didn't make the statement - you did. The person that I quoted said the same thing that you did, and now it's "my game"?

LOL

Okay.

I love how everyone blames black people for their own narrow minded thinking.
Just what statement did I make? What are you referring to?

Yeah, right - I'm a racist now. Wow, my family and friends will sure be surprised to hear that! Just as surprised as I am.

I haven't blamed any black people for any of my own thinking. I take full responsibility for my own actions and beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events