Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Nope, it's for real.
Here's the rest of the story after she realized Deer's can't read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB1yEcdomt0
The only thing that's real is that there was a phone call.

The fact that it was a phone call to a 'morning zoo'-type radio show should be a huge red flag. The fact that this deer crossing joke has been floating around among comedians for years before this supposedly-genuine call took place, and has been used before as bits by morning shows, as well as tongue-in-cheek letters to the editor, should be several more huge red flags.

Y-94 gets mileage from 'deer crossing' call, but veteran radio host says bit sounds familiar | INFORUM

It's a put-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
" Four women killed in Nebraska crash when SUV swerves to avoid deer "

Yes, and they would probably still be dead if they hadn't swerved. I realize that deer are just dumb innocent animals, but I detest them now.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

Yes, and they would probably still be dead if they hadn't swerved. I realize that deer are just dumb innocent animals, but I detest them now.
Not likely.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:37 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,376 times
Quote:

They are delicious.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:43 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,680 times
Quote:

If that were true then collisions with deer would be the main cause of traffic fatalities in the U. S.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:04 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,038 times
I remember the first day of my defensive driving class I was required to take in high school. One of the first lessons they taught was that you NEVER swerve to avoid an accident. If there is something in front of you, you aggresivley apply the brakes and maintain your lane. If you hit the object, you hit the object. The reason was that vehicles are designed to crash straight into an object, and a full frontal impact reduces more energy than side, or offset impacts. The local Police then came in and showed us horrible crash photos of drivers who tried to avoid an accident by leaving their lane, and caused an even bigger accident. I can still remember those photos 20 years later. I still remember this quote,"class, trees, rocks, bridges, and light poles do not have crumple zones".

You get in front of my truck, and I'm running over you.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,680 times
There are times that floorboarding the gas and swerving is the only way to avoid hitting something in your path, but only highly trained drivers who keep in practice are capable of this in real life situations.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Default When at a stoplight in Chicago and a dude comes running into the road holding a brick, THEN you floorboard the gas

Deer collisions in my state happen mostly during two periods -- when the yearling deer are first wandering alone without mom, and during rut.

Late at night I'll sometimes come across young deer just standing in the middle of the road frozen in my headlights. Earlier this summer I had one that just stood there as I all but drove over him, finally started moving when I rolled the window down to throw a water bottle at him (It was ~11PM, I thought honking would be rude to my neighbors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
There are times that floorboarding the gas and swerving is the only way to avoid hitting something in your path, but only highly trained drivers who keep in practice are capable of this in real life situations.
And for the other 99.999% of drivers out there, hitting the brakes is the more appropriate reaction.

In my decades of driving, only once has "floorboarding the gas" ever been the right thing to do.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:02 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've never even heard of "wildlife coverage".
Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either, until last year. My wife was talking to our insurance agent, after I bought her a new [to her] Jeep. I paid cash and told her we weren't going to put comprehensive on it, but since the deer are thicker than thieves here she's had a couple of close calls she mentioned her concern, and it turned out to be an option. I was mildly surprised. Who knew? It was fairly inexpensive...I think, maybe $100 to cover all 5 vehicles?

Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Why not simply drive more slowly in areas where you're likely to get surprised by a deer? The slower you're driving, the less likely the collision will cause serious injuries. And if you have time to hit the brakes, it's much faster to stop from a slower speed than from a higher speed. And if you skid, being slower makes it much less likely that your skid will move you out of your lane into another vehicle. And most vehicles get higher MPG when driving slower. If it's an interstate highway, drive 60 instead of 80. If it's a winding road with the trees close to the road, drive 40 instead of 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events