Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,063,241 times

Advertisements

Ky. group to train kids on how to use heroin antidote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 04:54 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,885,743 times
Really a wonderful world we have left for the next generation, isn't it ?

Don

Old 10-28-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Really a wonderful world we have left for the next generation, isn't it ?

Don
Very sad.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 AM

7,253 posts, read 7,103,720 times
Just what we need. 8 year olds feeling that they are responsible for adults.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Just what we need. 8 year olds feeling that they are responsible for adults.
I suppose it's better than watching a loved one die before you eyes. Why has Heroin become such am epidemic??

Old 10-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Heroin, Opioid Abuse Put Extra Strain On U.S. Foster Care System : Shots - Health News : NPR

Old 10-28-2015, 06:19 AM

7,253 posts, read 7,103,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I suppose it's better than watching a loved one die before you eyes. Why has Heroin become such am epidemic??
Disagree. The sadness of watching someone die is bad, but far better than the guilt of thinking it was up to you to save them.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:23 AM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Disagree. The sadness of watching someone die is bad, but far better than the guilt of thinking it was up to you to save them.
Agree.

Imagine the life of a child having to deal with that anyway. I think the better lesson would be how the child can get help for themselves by confiding in a trusted adult. If this is happening in the home, the child needs to be removed. Heroin is death sentence anyway.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,961,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
One has to ask why are they making the people holding the signs saying, "This is what recovery looks like." I have been around drug addicts, some have been my own family and they never looked that healthy when cleaning up and staying clean is really never part of 'their' plan. They destroy all those who love them and try to help, it is a drain on young people. I personally don't see this as an answer and to involve young kids this way is very misleading.

One thing I notice, seems heroin is a white person's high, why is that? Matter of fact, the people I have known who used a needle were white, both men and women......their addiction was speed. I have lost a few friends and family to drug use, they went clean, but a little too late. Stopping doesn't mean the damage is gone.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:41 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,102,810 times
Who are these kids and where are they being taught?

I can see this as somewhat reasonable if families who already have a family member in rehab are all taught this skill -- together, parents, grandparents, siblings, and kids -- as part of family education and therapy. Then it would be an intergenerational setting, where all family members together are learning a specific sort of life skill that is necessary in their own home.

That way the intact family structure would be foremost in the kids' mind, that parent or grandparent (or older sibling) still has the primary or higher degree of responsibility for the situation. (ie, "If Mom, Dad, Grandma or Older Sister aren't around and you're the only one there with the relapsed addict, then this is what you can do")

BUT teaching this as a general life skill... is screwed up.

Grade school kids aren't taught CPR. For one thing, they're not strong enough to properly compress the chest. But for another reason, it is too much of a moral burden on them to feel compelled to take responsibility for saving a human life.

Later, in adolescence, kids can indeed learn any number of lifesaving skills, and take pride in them. This learning can take place with parents, in scouting, faith-based groups, or through community resources like the Red Cross.

Just teaching grade school kids in general how to administer a heroin-blocking drug is going to lead to some screwed up eight-year olds.

Some of them might think it's cool, and decide to play doctor on each other.

Some other kid with an idealistic 'save the world' attitude might feel compelled to go out in search of junkies in order to save them.

And most sadly, some kid might find junkie sibling in the floor, and innocently, 'oops, I forgot where mom put the naloxone', naturally panics and runs, or can't get the apparatus to work right -- sibling dies... and a totally blameless child is burdened for life with incalculable guilt for "killing" his or her sibling.

Plus, everyone learns that heroin is a normal and natural part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events