Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 06:23 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,339,729 times

Advertisements

A new, better way of execution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfsMMVgIToA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:28 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
I always thought those big 20 ton presses they use to stamp sheet metal items like car fenders and hoods could be adapted. Put the convicted in, press a button, use a water hose to clean it out, done. It shouldn't be very painful.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:32 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
A new, better way of execution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfsMMVgIToA
Now that's funny

Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I don't think the dead actually care. I don't think YOU should embrace sadism under any circumstances. Torture is never acceptable. Using religion to advocate torture or sadism is also never acceptable.
That's your opinion. I think torture in specific circumstances is not just acceptable, but the correct course of action.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Why? What is the point of torturing a person to death?

The death penalty is not a deterrent to crime, no matter how violently we may execute someone.

So what does one get from torture? I don't care who it's being inflicted upon, taking joy in some else's pain and suffering is not healthy.

We as law abiding citizens should be above torture. If we do the same to criminals as they did, we're no better than those criminals.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:46 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I don't understand why we can't just put them to sleep like when you go to the dentist to have your wisdom teeth removed, then just medically end their lives. Remove the heart, suffocate the person, chemically stop the heart, or any of hundreds of other techniques. I just can't believe this "death penalty hurts" is something that gets any media time anymore.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:11 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Why? What is the point of torturing a person to death?

So what does one get from torture? I don't care who it's being inflicted upon, taking joy in some else's pain and suffering is not healthy.
The point would not be the discomfort to the person undergoing the procedure, but the example being offered to those who might be inclined to follow in his footsteps.

The idea of inflicting pain does not imply that one is taking 'joy' from it.

I would not be completely opposed to bringing back public executions, nor to bringing back things like public whippings for lesser crimes. I don't think the current system is working all that well.

I also think that prison should be a very unpleasant place to be- no libraries, no gyms, no 'yards', no TV, no books, no magazines, no windows, no visitors. Cells should be cold steel or stone, cramped (5' x 5' x 5'), solid doors (no bars); lousy, tasteless, boring 'food'; no communication with the outside world or even other prisoners, they should have absolutely nothing to do but ponder the circumstances of what got them there. At the end of their sentence, prisoners should come out weak and wasted and squinting at the sunlight they haven't seen for years, and a fierce determination not to do anything that will get them sent back there; not muscle-bound and brimming with new ideas for more and better crimes.

Quote:
The death penalty is not a deterrent to crime, no matter how violently we may execute someone
For some, it certainly *is*. In fact, I would argue that fear of pain/injury/immediate death is the *only* deterrent/limitation on the scope of their criminal activities.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's your opinion. I think torture in specific circumstances is not just acceptable, but the correct course of action.
Well, its more than just that poster's opinion.

First, the U.S. Constitution forbids "cruel and unusual punishment" in the Eighth Amendment.

Second, our country is a signatory to several international treaties banning the use of torture.

Now, maybe none of those documents mean anything at all to you. However, they do mean something to people who are interested in abiding by the law and not succumbing to the cruelest of human desires.

I personally think all this litigation about lethal injection being a cruel mode of execution is pretty ridiculous. I think a few bullets in the right place might produce a quicker and better outcome.

Bottom Line: You can't say you support the Constitution or adhering to treaties that this country has signed and ratified unless you are willing to say torturing someone should be banned. Anyone who claims otherwise is either mentally-challenged, or simply a liar.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Who gives a shyt??

Old 11-03-2015, 09:50 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
so........people that have committed such heinous crimes are deserving of a "peaceful" death......to the point where the country goes out of it's way to alter the death penalty procedures?

A man murders and rapes somebody (in that order), and we are worried about how painful his 2-3 minute death might be? Am I the only one who sees the issue here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events