Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 12:28 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times

Advertisements

I'm an immigrant.

I am a total freaking rock star from Mars, that landed here in a capsule when I was only a few months old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
There are over half a million Syrian refugees in Jordan right now, in a country of six and a half million. We are talking about taking 10,000 refugees into a country of 300 million. To be an equal comparision, we would need to take in around 27 million refugees, which would be - what - five times the population of the entire country of Syria. It really does not compare. At all.
Since you speak Arabic how many are you willing to take in? Why are they bypassing all these wonderful Muslim countries you speak so glowing of and are heading to the land of unbelievers? Could it be you are not telling the truth.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
10,000 is the official number being report in the press, but even if it were 65,000 or 200,000 it STILL isn't even close. Think it isn't our problem an that Lebanon and Jordan should deal with it on their own? Guess what - they are the base of operations for the US's military training programs, for the government agencies working in the ME, for the press, for the NGOs.
You are making no sense. We should be PAID for having bases there, not taking in refugees. We are spending billions fighting ISIS. Now you come along and make us feel guilty? That’s shameful. You should be thanking us.I would not drop a single free bomb on ISIS if I had anything to do with it. Muslim should fight it out themselves.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,376 times
So we take in muslim refugees, pay them from our tax payers money and then also improve anti-terrorism jobs and funds.
I guess those anti-terrorism folks have great job security as the muslims don't stop coming in as long as we spread welcome arms and also pay them so they can survive here without working.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Since you speak Arabic how many are you willing to take in? Why are they bypassing all these wonderful Muslim countries you speak so glowing of and are heading to the land of unbelievers? Could it be you are not telling the truth.
I would personally be willing to take a family in. Thus far, that has not been possible. Requests to sponsor a refugee have been languishing. Up until now, only about 1,800 have been allowed to go forward.

And the refugees aren't bypassing the Muslim/ME countries. Turkey has taken in nearly 2 million people. Lebanon has taken over a million. And Jordan has officially registered 600,000, but there is evidence that they have actually taken in over a million, as well. Egypt has also taken in hundreds of thousands. These countries are at their breaking points. That is why the refugees are forced to look further afield for accommodations.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
This is an interesting discussion. It's like a potential black swan event. In a typical discussion using probability and statistics if there are 100 people of the 10k that are bad, it would be a pretty poor decision to turn away the 9.9k good refugees to avoid the 100 bad refugees. But in this instance the 100 bad refugees could have catastrophic impacts on the US.

Would you be willing to let in 10k Syrian refugees if there was a 50% chance that one of them would kill 100+ people in an attack on US soil? What percentage and death toll would be reasonable? It's clearly not zero percent (although 50% might be very high as well).
This is the parallel argument to illegal immigration. When faced with the fact that illegals are committing crimes they say they are committing crimes at rates lower than the general population. It is as though we are supposed to accept some crime in the first place. So if 0.1% of the Syrian refugees may be ISIS plants, we must be happy because it is a lower rate than the general population.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
So we take in muslim refugees, pay them from our tax payers money and then also improve anti-terrorism jobs and funds.
I guess those anti-terrorism folks have great job security as the muslims don't stop coming in as long as we spread welcome arms and also pay them so they can survive here without working.
It really F*cking disgusts me we can't even care for our own veterans who fought for our freedom and safety yet give these questionable people safe harbor.

I know of a few ex spec ops guys that suffer horrible PTSD from things they have done in service of this country and they are the ones that should get my money, our tax dollars first not some highly questionable refugees.

Can people think logically these days at all

Old 11-16-2015, 12:44 PM

500 posts, read 583,675 times
Quote:
I would personally be willing to take a family in. Thus far, that has not been possible. Requests to sponsor a refugee have been languishing. Up until now, only about 1,800 have been allowed to go forward.

And the refugees aren't bypassing the Muslim/ME countries. Turkey has taken in nearly 2 million people. Lebanon has taken over a million. And Jordan has officially registered 600,000, but there is evidence that they have actually taken in over a million, as well. Egypt has also taken in hundreds of thousands. These countries are at their breaking points. That is why the refugees are forced to look further afield for accommodations.
Earlier you stated that the refugees were causing a financial strain on Jordan.
You want that here?

Turkey is not exactly a bastion of peace right now and becoming less peaceful by the second as more and more are infiltrating that region.

The American debt is so far out there it is not even funny. If we raise taxes any higher, the money will disappear out of the United States.
How much more should we cripple our own country?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,286,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This is the parallel argument to illegal immigration. When faced with the fact that illegals are committing crimes they say they are committing crimes at rates lower than the general population. It is as though we are supposed to accept some crime in the first place. So if 0.1% of the Syrian refugees may be ISIS plants, we must be happy because it is a lower rate than the general population.
Wild, uncivilized animals don't make good pets and need to be restrained (monitored).

That Paris bomber was monitored for 5 years and he stayed low and striked back when officials thought he is peace loving.
Need to monitor muslims for life as no one knows when their inner extremist wakes up.
Bipolar disorder...

Old 11-16-2015, 12:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaching View Post
Earlier you stated that the refugees were causing a financial strain on Jordan.
You want that here?

Turkey is not exactly a bastion of peace right now and becoming less peaceful by the second as more and more are infiltrating that region.

The American debt is so far out there it is not even funny. If we raise taxes any higher, the money will disappear out of the United States.
How much more should we cripple our own country?
Yes. The refugees are causing financial strain in Jordan, and Lebanon and Turkey. That is because of the unfathomable number of people that have streamed over the borders. These three countries have had to bear this burden almost alone. To spread it out a bit and dilute the problem is not only the right thing to do, it is a wise thing to do if we don't want ISIS to spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events