Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:45 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,271,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Why stop them? What the hell is America? We're all immigrants.

I was at a freethought Atheists meeting yesterday in Seattle and there was a Saudi girl speaking about Islam there. It would be a mistake to keep someone as bright and intelligent as she was out of this country. It's IMMIGRANTS like her that make America what it is.

What about the Mexicans who came here 30 years ago? Look at our campuses. Their children are growing up, going to school having children of their own and making America better every step of the way. I sometimes ride the bus and where I saw mostly black, white and Asian people now I see people of every stripe. Bedouin girls, Iraqi mothers and teens, Somali, African, Pakistani, Indian and Latinos are ubiquitous. I saw an Indian girl from Brazil, 6" 5" tall and stunning.

Let them come. We're only better for it. If there's some bad apples It's well worth the risk.
I am pretty conservative (I like Bush. And Palin), but I agree with you.

No jihadist operates in a vacuum. They belong to radical groups, renegade mosques, and the like. THAT's where we ought to crack down! The best food source for jihadists are these people who don't want the CIA looking at phone records; people like the ACLU, and Edward Snowden, and those types. Jihadists are nearly always on the internet, and all but the lonest of lone wolves have a support network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
lets hope and pray NY doesn't take the refugees, but we can almost bank on it.
they will come right to Brooklyn, my neighborhood to be exact.
they will get medical, housing and food stamps.

and I, an American born citizen will still be working 40 hours a week.

Ivote trump.

send them all back
obama needs to wake up for christ sake.
He's awake, he just doesn't care. He wants this.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
I was just watching a snippet of Obama's speech in Antalya, where he stated that his "closest military advisors agree with him."

Don't be fooled by this shyster lawyer who fooled us into electing him. The president gets to choose who his advisors are, and only those who agree with him in the first place would ever be considered close.

Even if they disagree with him they would never say so, unless they want to end their career.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM

258 posts, read 299,607 times
This has to be an all or nothing thing.

If even one state accepts refugees, who/what will stop them from just driving to the next state?

Old 11-17-2015, 11:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Is it even common to fly refugees across a continent and an ocean, anyway? Don't refugees normally flee to a neighboring or nearby country, and go to camps until things can be sorted out or it's safe to go back home? What Obama wants to do here makes them sound more like immigrants than refugees.

I would love to know, where are these people flying from? Syria itself? Turkey, elsewhere in Europe? Have they already fled to a safe country, like Turkey, and then they hear Obama say we're accepting them then they say "oh good!" and hop on a plane from Turkey to here? Sounds dishonest to me. Like many of the "refugees" to Europe are coming from living in Turkey, for months or even years, then decide they like the welfare options in Europe better so try to cross the Mediteranean by float, then the media expects us all to cry for them when they die as they flee a safe country they spent years living in - like the family of that little boy found washed up on a beach. It's a scam.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:58 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
This has to be an all or nothing thing.

If even one state accepts refugees, who/what will stop them from just driving to the next state?
I have a question. Not addressed directly at you, but sort of related to your comment.

What is a terrorist most likely to do?

Enter the US as a documented refugee or come in as an illegal alien with phony documentation?

A terrorist with a small fraction of a brain will deny being Muslim or having any connection with Syria. The terrorists are not nice law abiding people, do not expect them to be honest about their identity.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM

258 posts, read 299,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I have a question. Not addressed directly at you, but sort of related to your comment.

What is a terrorist most likely to do?

Enter the US as a documented refugee or come in as an illegal alien with phony documentation?

A terrorist with a small fraction of a brain will deny being Muslim or having any connection with Syria. The terrorists are not nice law abiding people, do not expect them to be honest about their identity.

I totally agree. Where there is a will, there is a way. And there are plenty of extremists native to this country that would all be too willing to help anyone with nefarious designs slip into obscurity once they hit the ground.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:06 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,253 times
No matter how many Obama takes in, ISIS will show victims to vulnerable minds and claim we turned our backs and should be destroyed.
A retired general said that Obama is taking Syrian refugees who have been living in neighboring countries' refugee camps for 2-3 years.

Can't we just help build some houses over there?

Is the U.S. always the end game?

Colombians, Guatemalans, and Oaxacans did not flee "ALL the WAY" to the U.S. when their rebels were killing villages and towns. OTOH, there are millions of Syrians fleeing, not 1000s so I get it.

Funny how we didn't do this for the massacres and genocide in African countries, which is somewhat CLOSER than Syria [see map].
Maybe that will get a hashtag with the ___livesMatter issue.

Last edited by frankrj; 11-17-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 12:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
The White House should have plenty of room to house many refugees. And all these rich Hollywood people who wants to help the whole world, don't you think they will give up most of their space to help out. Oprah for instance? She should have plenty of space. Send them all to Beverly Hills, The Hampton's, or any other upscale neighborhood or community.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-17-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Why did you not just ask the question. No, I do not think that we should afford the new immigrants this opportunity because it is not the same. The WWII immigrants and prior did not get near the level of social services that we these will be entitled to.

I think that we have problems at home that we should fix first.
Why is there any reason to believe these refugees would live forever on the public dole? A lot of them are hard working folks displaced by regional conflict through no fault of their own.

I've read stories about the "Lost Boys" of Sudan, we took about 4,00 refugees. They were helped to assimilate by getting work and education and becoming productive members of our society. Here's a bit about their experience and the volunteers who helped them out:

Who are the Lost Boys of Sudan? | International Rescue Committee (IRC)

So they are not just added to welfare rolls for the rest of their lives. They could end up productive citizens like most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events