Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That is just awesome! Although you'd think they wouldn't need them, seeing as how they think they are getting ready to meet 74 virgins.

bahaha!!!!!!
Maybe they are hedging their bets in case the 74 virgins are guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 03:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Declaring war on people who are disconnected from the grid sounds like pure win.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:51 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Be careful when you cheer on anonymous. This time they are your allies, next month they may be hacking your bank account.

Let them fight Isis from jail if they are sincere.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I mean no offense but...why do you choose to use the term Daesh? Is it that you want to point out some level of higher sophistication? Not everyone knows that ISIS AKA 'IS' AKA 'IS of the Levant and IRaq' is AKA DA'ISH is AKA Daesh. Let's just call them ISIS so as to not confuse anyone, ok? We will still know that you read the WaPo.
ISIS (I'll indulge you just this once) doesn't like the term Daesh.

""They hear it, quite rightly, as a challenge to their legitimacy: a dismissal of their aspirations to define Islamic practice, to be 'a state for all Muslims' and — crucially — as a refusal to acknowledge and address them as such."

"This is a terrorist group and not a state. I do not recommend using the term Islamic State because it blurs the lines between Islam, Muslims, and Islamists," France's Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement. "The Arabs call it 'Daesh' and I will be calling them the 'Daesh cutthroats.'"

If it's good enough for Ms. Fabius it's good enough for me.

France says the name 'ISIS' is offensive, will call it 'Daesh' instead

With that, it's really not your place to tell people how to address a terrorist organization. It's petty. And I don't read the WaPo.

But I mean no offense.

Last edited by mommabear2; 11-16-2015 at 04:38 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 04:05 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Well, it might actually disrupt their communication
46,000 Twitter accounts...

ISIS spread its reach through Twitter with 46,000 accounts - CNET

There was also a graph on Twitter yesterday showing where most of the supporting tweets for Isis were coming from.
That's insane: Quote-

"Your virtual war on us will cause a real war on you," read one online post by alleged ISIS supporters. "We told you from the beginning it's not your war, but you didn't get it and kept closing our accounts on Twitter, but we always come back."

-----------------

It looks like all Twitter does is delete these accounts.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:10 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If they can shut isis down on social media that would be great.

Remember those German teen girls that took isis for travel money? They chatted on social media back and forth and isis wired them money so the girls could travel to Syria and it was all a scam. The girls kept the money but oddly got into trouble for fraud. I wonder how that turned out for them?

Messing around with isis could be a dangerous game. We have seen they are ruthless.
Well, we have to remember Jihadi John is now a thing of the past. So the girls can now wear their necklaces in peace.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:55 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
This was the only positive article I read today. I think it is GREAT. Finally Hackers using their intelligence and technical ability for a good cause. Hooray for them!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:45 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
So we just all start emailing ISIS and tell them we are Nigerian princes and our money is held up in escrow... That should take down the entire organization.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:47 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
This was the only positive article I read today. I think it is GREAT. Finally Hackers using their intelligence and technical ability for a good cause. Hooray for them!
Technically all hackers use their skill for good. It's the media that started using the word hackers to describe crackers who are a different breed of scumbags.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,624,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I can't imagine daesh having a data center.

would be nice though if they shut down their ability to use social media, indefinitely.
I need to remember to refer to them as this in the future. Apparently it is considered derogatory:

Quote:
The term “Daesh” is strategically a better choice because it is still accurate in that it spells out the acronym of the group’s full Arabic name, al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham. Yet, at the same time, “Daesh” can also be understood as a play on words — and an insult. Depending on how it is conjugated in Arabic, it can mean anything from “to trample down and crush” to “a bigot who imposes his view on others.” Already, the group has reportedly threatened to cut out the tongues of anyone who uses the term. (https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...MUP/story.html)
This reminds me of back during the first Gulf War, when Pres. George H. W. Bush pronounced "Saddam" with an emphasis on the "Sad" part. My roomie at the time (I was in college) said that the way Bush pronounced his name would translate to "shoeshine boy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events