Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
So explain the holocaust?
What does the Holocaust have to do with Institutionalized Racism in the U.S.?

FYI, whites can be victims of institutionalized racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why don't you give us your definitions and differences since implied here you are an expert on matter. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say, and especially what the meaning of the R-word to you.
I'm not giving my definitions, as I defer to those who have published works and peer-reviewed journals and articles on the matter. There are literally dozens of sources from a quick Google Books search, but this is one simple explanation.

Quote:
Prejudice is when a person negatively pre-judges another person or group without getting to know the beliefs, thoughts, and feelings behind their words and actions. A person of any racial group can be prejudiced towards a person of any other racial group. There is no power dynamic involved.

Bigotry is stronger than prejudice, a more severe mindset and often accompanied by discriminatory behavior. It’s arrogant and mean-spirited, but requires neither systems nor power to engage in.

Racism is the system that allows the racial group that’s already in power to retain power. Since arriving on U.S. soil white people have used their power to create preferential access to survival resources (housing, education, jobs, food, health, legal protection, etc.) for white people while simultaneously impeding people of color’s access to these same resources.Though "reverse racism" is a term I sometimes hear, it has never existed in America. White people are the only racial group to have ever established and retained power in the United States.

- See more at: Are prejudice, bigotry, and racism the same thing?
Anyone can be prejudice and bigoted. But not everyone can be racist. I didn't imply anything, that's you twisting my words. And if you take exception to the definition of these terms, feel free to take it up with the published authors and scholars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It is effective because here we are still talking about it. THAT is the point. I addressed black crime in an earlier post, there is nothing any protest can do about thuggery. THIS though they can effect change hopefully. ALSO for the millionth time this is NOT about black people, this is about every taxpayer in Chicago who pay salaries and taxes to a police department that shield's its own and erases security tape footage and lies and pays a cop's salary for a year before the tape is ordered to be made public and he's finally charged.

No one is suffering because they have to put off their trip to Cartier for a few days , you are way over-dramatic IMO.
It seems a bit dramatic actually to read your summation of this case as if it's already been tried in a court of law and the case closed. More patience and less conjecture seems in order.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 PM

132 posts, read 91,623 times
Quote:
It is effective because here we are still talking about it. THAT is the point. I addressed black crime in an earlier post, there is nothing any protest can do about thuggery. THIS though they can effect change hopefully. ALSO for the millionth time this is NOT about black people, this is about every taxpayer in Chicago who pay salaries and taxes to a police department that shield's its own and erases security tape footage and lies and pays a cop's salary for a year before the tape is ordered to be made public and he's finally charged.

No one is suffering because they have to put off their trip to Cartier for a few days , you are way over-dramatic IMO.
You say that the BLM protests aren't about black people but that's not the message that we keep seeing in the media. On what basis are you saying this? Is this your opinion or is this actually a part of the BLM movement?

I question the effectiveness of the BLM protesters' methods. Yes, we're talking about it but is it for the right reasons or is the message being lost somehow?

Quote:
Once again the Black Lives Matters protesters decided to take out their anger on their fellow citizens who have no involvement in government or law enforcement, choosing the usual activity of “disrupting white spaces” because this isn’t a fight against the police: it’s a fight against the rest of society. They are shutting down the businesses which employ the few of their neighbors who can still manage to find jobs. Rather than trying to fix an ailment of society, they are helping to tear it down.
An endorsement for #BlackLivesMatter to shut down all commerce in all cities « Hot Air

Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Obviously you believe this is only about that one guy, and only about blacks, so there is really nothing further to say. I already stated I believe their cause is more important than one day of shopping, and I already stated why.
And I think that a day of shopping is more important than some low-life crook getting what he had coming to him. I'm not sorry that he was killed. As far as I'm concerned, society is better off without him. I'm sorry for the innocent people whose tires he slashed, who now have to somehow find a way in their meager circumstances to pay to replace them, and who may have lost some wages due to not being able to get to work.

When BLM starts to protest unjust killings against innocent people, I will support them. But as long as they keep on whining about some thug loser getting his just desserts, I will consider them in opposition to the law-abiding society of which I consider myself to be a part. And as long as their protests devolve into intimidation (or worse) against innocent people based solely on their race, I will consider them to be an enemy.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:27 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:

Here is the issue i have with your posts, and you have made a few references to what i percewive to be upper middle class whites. According to you the shopper can basically get over it....WHO ARE YOU TO DETERMINE THAT? Are you saying that because someone is upper middle class, its ok to inconvenience them? Why cant the protestors go to a middle class to lower middle class predominantly black neighborhood and protest and disrupt business there? Is your issue with the PD or wealthy white people?

Last edited by Keep It Simple; 11-30-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-30-2015, 01:30 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
It seems a bit dramatic actually to read your summation of this case as if it's already been tried in a court of law and the case closed. More patience and less conjecture seems in order.
They are not protesting this cop alone, they are protesting a systemic cover up...it doesn't even matter if he is found guilty, as the department IS certainly guilty of a cover up. Maybe when they can explain why they erased the BK security tape footage, or why folks had to go to court to get the tape released, or why none of the other cops on scene didn't say before the perp never "lunged" at the cop, as is clear just by watching the video.

It is not about this one perp or this one cop. How many times can I say that? it is a tax-payer funded system that is not working for many of the citizens of this city, and they have a right to protest that. Again, IMO everyone who lives and pays taxes in Chicago should care about this.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Here is the issue i have with your posts, and you have made a few references to what i percewive to be upper middle class whites. According to you the shopper can basically get over it....WHO ARE YOU TO DETERMINE THAT? Are you saying that because someone is upper middle class, its ok to inconvenience them? Why cant the protestors go to a middle class to lower middle class predominantly black neighborhood and protest and disrupt business there? Is your issue with the PD or wealthy white people?

Okay, having a police department answerable to its citizens is a million times more important than anyone rich or poor being "inconvenienced". Is that better?

Who are you to tell people where and how to protest?

I already answered why there...they are getting attention and affecting people...that is the only to get change sometimes. If they were in a poor black neighborhood protesting, would anyone actually care? Would it be a topic of national news?

Also, being in a poor black neighborhood would make it appear to be a problem only blacks care about/only blacks should care about....and I already said I disagree with that.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
ALSO for the millionth time this is NOT about black people, this is about every taxpayer in Chicago who

Hmmmmmmm....just curious, please tell me when was the last time BLM protested the killing of a white guy who died as a result as an encounter with the Chicago PD?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:37 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
They are not protesting this cop alone, they are protesting a systemic cover up...it doesn't even matter if he is found guilty, as the department IS certainly guilty of a cover up. Maybe when they can explain why they erased the BK security tape footage, or why folks had to go to court to get the tape released, or why none of the other cops on scene didn't say before the perp never "lunged" at the cop, as is clear just by watching the video.

It is not about this one perp or this one cop. How many times can I say that? it is a tax-payer funded system that is not working for many of the citizens of this city, and they have a right to protest that. Again, IMO everyone who lives and pays taxes in Chicago should care about this.
Maybe you've said it too many times is the problem. Your voice is getting lost in the hysteria you are producing here. And I don't mean that in an offensive way, I really don't, but you keep repeating yourself here, and also stating your opinions as facts. We have a justice system for a reason. If everything you say here about CPD is true, it will come out. You aren't going to convince critical-thinking people who still have faith and patience in our justice system of anything by stating what *you* believe the facts to be when professionals who are paid to handle this sort of thing are still doing their jobs trying to figure it out.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysoul View Post
You say that the BLM protests aren't about black people but that's not the message that we keep seeing in the media. On what basis are you saying this? Is this your opinion or is this actually a part of the BLM movement?

I question the effectiveness of the BLM protesters' methods. Yes, we're talking about it but is it for the right reasons or is the message being lost somehow?

An endorsement for #BlackLivesMatter to shut down all commerce in all cities « Hot Air
I can't control the media. I said every taxpayer in Chicago should be angry about this, as well as all citizens of Chicago, and yes I mean it regardless of what the papers say.

Out of curiosity, how would you tell them to go about drawing media attention and the public's attention to their cause, and keeping it there in a world where news only stays news for a minute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events