Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 09:30 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You gotta be a pretty good MMA student or carry some conceal weapon if you dare to even jog in Manhattan alone.

Just because NYC area is gentrified doesn't mean scumbags can't walk on the same area. Manhattan may not resemble the 90s but the crime is still very much alive and happening.

Once again, if concealed weapons are allowed this perp would be out cold by now. NYC has the dumbest gun laws where all the bad guys have weapons of all types and terrorizing the citizens that are held by un-constitutional gun laws.
For a second I laughed because I thought this post has got to be coming from somebody NOT in NYC, then I saw it was you.

I see people jogging the parks and waterfront in Manhattan alone all the time. It's very common. Maybe at night in certain areas it's seedier but to insinuate it's dangerous to jog in Manhattan in general is questionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:32 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I hate to break the bad news to you, but women have dealt with rape for centuries. The person to blame is the man who commits the violent act.
Yes but we do need police. It is harder to commit a crime, or to get away with one, when there is a policeman standing a few yards away.

DeBlasio did not commit this crime but if he has "mothballed" the police force, something that I keep hearing over and over, he is complicit in it.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:49 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251
Disgusting. Hopefully his prison cell mate, Bubba, will return the favor.
Knowing him he will love it!

Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Uhmm...if you have a penectomy you probably don't need to be castrated too - in fact it would be a better punishment to keep the desire with no way to act upon it.
They could always stick an electric rod up their butt & get a prostate massage.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:51 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You gotta be a pretty good MMA student or carry some conceal weapon if you dare to even jog in Manhattan alone.

Just because NYC area is gentrified doesn't mean scumbags can't walk on the same area. Manhattan may not resemble the 90s but the crime is still very much alive and happening.

Once again, if concealed weapons are allowed this perp would be out cold by now. NYC has the dumbest gun laws where all the bad guys have weapons of all types and terrorizing the citizens that are held by un-constitutional gun laws.
When someone much bigger and stronger than you surprises you out of the dark a concealed weapon is not going to help much, even an openly carried one probably won´t unless it is in your hand ready to use.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:31 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
When someone much bigger and stronger than you surprises you out of the dark a concealed weapon is not going to help much, even an openly carried one probably won´t unless it is in your hand ready to use.
I disagree. My lady was attacked like this, and she got a weapon into play, a d stopped the creep, butt cold. These types of incidents are a real sore spot for me. These vermin that perpetrate these crimes are a subhuman species of varmint, and deserve a painful end, and women need not be victims to them. An attitude such as the above post, basically says the opposite. If you're attacked, there's nothing you can do. Physical strength, and even the element of surprise, doesn't mean you should give up. That opens the door to a fate worse than death.

A weapon doesn't have to be a firearm. There are options available. Ones that can be accessed even when you're pinned down. Surprise is a two way street. Most attackers are overconfident in their ability to subdue a victim. That's an advantage that needs to be utilized. I don't believe that any woman should be unprepared for the unthinkable. The aftermath of an attempted rape, is bad enough. A successful one ...the thought makes me go cold.

Rapists are a vermin that needs to become extinct. Its a crime that tops my list of capital offenses. If justice is dealt on the street, during commission of the crime, all the better.

Last edited by NVplumber; 11-30-2015 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 08:26 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I disagree. My lady was attacked like this, and she got a weapon into play, a d stopped the creep, butt cold. These types of incidents are a real side spot for me. These vermin that perpetrate these crimes are a subhuman species of varmint, and deserve a painful end, and women need not be victims to them. An attitude such as the above post, basically says the opposite. If you're attacked, there's nothing you can do. Physical strength, and even the element of surprise, doesn't mean you should give up. That opens the door to a fate worse than death.

A weapon doesn't have to be a firearm. There are options available. Ones that can be accessed even when you're pinned down. Surprise is a two way street. Most attackers are overconfident in their ability to subdue a victim. That's an advantage that needs to be utilized. I don't believe that any woman should be unprepared for the unthinkable. The aftermath of an attempted rape, is bad enough. A successful one ...the thought makes me go cold.

Rapists are a vermin that needs to become extinct. Its a crime that tops my list of capital offenses. If justice is dealt on the street, during commission of the crime, all the better.
I sort of agree, but (as with surprise) it is a two way street. I have been blindsided and no weapon in the world would have helped. When my bro was a cop we used to practice a lot together, gun takeaways, knife and stick stuff... If you recognize the threat and prepare you have a good chance but when S**t just comes out of nowhere while you are happily jogging along not so much.

No problem with rapists getting shot but I don´t put much faith in concealed carry firearms in this kind of situation.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:29 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Stop and frisk is great, as long as they are only doing it to brown people. You love these kind of laws so much, but wait until it is turned against you and yours, as it eventually will be.

If it were me and mine who were committing a disproportionate share of crime, I would have to resign myself to being subject to increased police scrutiny, no matter how unfair it would seem to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
DeBlasio did not commit this crime but if he has "mothballed" the police force, something that I keep hearing over and over, he is complicit in it.

Spot on!

Old 11-30-2015, 09:13 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I sort of agree, but (as with surprise) it is a two way street. I have been blindsided and no weapon in the world would have helped. When my bro was a cop we used to practice a lot together, gun takeaways, knife and stick stuff... If you recognize the threat and prepare you have a good chance but when S**t just comes out of nowhere while you are happily jogging along not so much.

No problem with rapists getting shot but I don´t put much faith in concealed carry firearms in this kind of situation.
My girl didn't use a gun. It was a knife. Clipped to the outside of her waist pouch. She was hit and knocked down, but she got the blade open before her attacker could really grab her. She was taken by surprise, but the creep left her hands free, thinking, I guess, because he'd knocked her down, the fight was over. It wasn't.

Each situation is different, of course. Some attackers are smarter, and don't take things for granted, but many do. Its something that training helps a would be victim to take advantage of. Things don't always work out for the victim. The real world is never the same as the practice floor. Still, I'm a firm believer is leveling the odds. I worked out for us, at least in that she didn't get raped, and her attacker , while he lived, will never attack her or anyone else again.

It was still very traumatizing. Still deal, daily, with the aftermath. The alternative would have been worse. That the advantage generally is an attackers, is no reason to resign oneself to losing the fight. Some things are worth it to die fighting for. I know I would die to protect her. But I couldn't be there to protect her when she needed me. Something I wrestle with every day. Thankfully , she was able to protect herself. Something, I believe, we should all be at least willing to do, and have the means to do so.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I'm not worried about the Russians taking them, they need the slave labor to build roads and dig ditchs in the permafrost. I just wonder if they'd tell us when they die off and not keep charging us for a corpsicle or something. As long as they were still standing they'd still on the books if I know them guys.
Considering we're stupidly paying for profit corps about $30,000/yr for an inmate. I say send em to Russia for $2k/yr with the promise of 30yr commitment. We'd still save a ton of money over the long haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events