Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 02:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Disclaimer: I am NOT a climate scientist-just a lowly engineer who has designed and operated a primary standards calibration lab. I am used to very precise measurement of many parameters (inculding temperature). I do know and have worked with a few real climate scientists and they are unbiased, honest and dedicated to their studies. That being said, "they" are not the problem, typically it is the higher ups.

So, is climate change real? Of course-that has always been and always will be the case. Do those that support it as being man-made, have an agenda? Yes-get more grant money. What happens to the research when they don't get anymore financing? Are there any "climate scientists" doing research on their own dime??? Not that I am aware of-it would be prohibitively expensive. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't some of these "esteemed" scientists that currently support it, previously support global cooling??? Were they wrong? Haven't some of these "respected" experts been caught manipulating data? Are they or are they not depending heavily on models (constructed by said scientists)?

I think the subject is certainly worthy of study but at this point in time I am not convinced and believe it to be far from settled. Think about this: How many of the predictions made 20 years ago have come to pass?

This is a really, really complicated issue and to say we have the answers at this time is just plain foolishness.
Scientists do get things wrong and then correct when they look at the newest data.. OTOH, the global cooling was not accepted science - it was popular magazines and newspapers that promoted it even in the 1970s when it was being touted.

What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?

Quote:
By 1980 the predictions about ice ages had ceased, due to the overwhelming evidence contained in an increasing number of reports that warned of global warming. Unfortunately, the small number of predictions of an ice age appeared to be much more interesting than those of global warming, so it was those sensational 'Ice Age' stories in the press that so many people tend to remember.
Quote:
The fact is that around 1970 there were 6 times as many scientists predicting a warming rather than a cooling planet. Today, with 30+years more data to analyse, we've reached a clear scientific consensus: 97% of working climate scientists agree with the view that human beings are causing global warming.
Currently, global temperatures are warmer than at any time in at least 4,000 years and arctic sea ice has hit a record low for its maximum extent in winter.
Global Cooling or Global Warming, Which is it? » Global Cooling or Global Warming, Which is it? | Geoengineering Watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 04:05 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And it's the dopey and vacuous millennials who are the easiest to lead astray. They scarf down this left wing climate change crap like it's the last piece of chocolate mousse at a bad wedding. They question nothing. They bleat like sheeple and parrot the nonsensical pablum of the Algorian collectivists and swallow the bait hook, line, and sinker until it is trailing out their azzes.

"I'm 20 and it's the first time I see this". 20 year bloody timeframe and he's "never seen this". Do they even take Earth Science, much less Geology, Chemistry, Physics, or God forbid Philosophy anymore? THIS is what is voting for left-wing statist politicians. THIS is what is showing up at climate demonstrations and screeching like a parrot with a hangnail. THIS is what is taking a crap behind the trees at Occupy demonstrations (remember that hateful stupidity?)

Here's an incovenient truth: We are in serious trouble, but it's not the climate that's the issue. It is the brainless 20 something Michael Moorian Algorian sycophants who follow the grant-chasing, publish-or-perish, taxpayer subsidized university "scientists" as if they were priests with a fiber connection to God Almighty's personal router.

"No, we don't want to learn to drive. We want to bury our pimply faces in an Android and take public transportation to a climate change sit-in." And we thought the hippies of the 60's were as low as one could go. The mud-encrusted Woodstock drug-crazed smelly and filthy long haired monkey-hippies have NOTHING on today's collectivist 20-somethings. NOTHING.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:53 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Why? Because they are useless welfare recipients who will never amount to anything.
So, you think someone can REALLY get to be a real scientist while being a welfare recipient?
Damn, just the education alone, required to get to that level, is gonna cost a small fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I don't have time to investigate this personally, and very few people do. About this matter, and many others, we have to get our opinions from someone we trust.
Right. And I trust REAL scientists (with major publications, in serious scientific magazines), rather than mass media or those who can't be bothered to read anything that does not agree with their current point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That is just ridiculous. The vast majority of scientists get their opinions from the same place you do: the mass media.

Lemme pick up my jaw off the floor first... OK. So, just WHAT kind of scientists are those who base their opinions on mass media??? I don't think one can really call them that... politics, maybe. But not scientists!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
So, you think someone can REALLY get to be a real scientist while being a welfare recipient?
Damn, just the education alone, required to get to that level, is gonna cost a small fortune
They are welfare recipients through the process of collecting government grants. It's a huge pig trough that they all feed from. And the way they keep this welfare program going is by emphasizing disaster at a any cost. They have to sell us this crap to keep the money flowing. In other words, they are whores. Most of them never produced a thing in their lives. Most of them are not very talented. And most of them operate with utter contempt for the Scientific Method because they are philosophically bankrupt, having never learned to think.

Science is no longer an honorable profession. It has become something beneath a civil service job, where souls are sold to keep the grant money coming in. As they say in the science business, and it is a business: PUBLISH OR PERISH!

It is now a sales job, where hustling up grant money is the end, and fear mongering is the means.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

A single volcano eruption can inject more greenhouse gases than man has in his entire history.
there

in case anyone missed this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events