Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are you doing for MLK Day?
Working 63 54.78%
Going to the movies 0 0%
Going out to eat 4 3.48%
Spending time with the family 16 13.91%
Going to a black culture/activism event 1 0.87%
It's Martin Luther King Day? 31 26.96%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 08:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

It is a shame people do such things on Martin Luther King Day. Clearly, they never listened to him speak and are quite ignorant. Shame. Mr. King was a very good leader and speaker. Truly one of the best speakers in the past 100 years. He preached nonviolence and certainly wouldn't like intimidation. Glad I live in a more civilized area like Pittsburgh. Lived in Miami and it is a dump with a TON of crime. SF is nice, but there seems to always be dumb things going on like we see here.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:20 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The thing is, in schools there is no opportunity to open up the building on any other day that doesn't have students in or that they are willing to pay the staff for. So for us for eg, it truly is the only day to get in and do badly needed projects in the schools. This might not be the case in well funded suburban schools but for big city schools with no budgets, if people didn't come out for MLK day none of this stuff would get done.

And there's something about it being MLK Day that does spur people to come help. So we're grateful for that.

Gives working parents and community members a chance to pitch in and help.
I get that and I'm happy it inspires some to get involved. I was speaking on a more personal level.

For everyone reading, there is always a chance - 24/7/365 - for people to help. So many opportunities abound that one needn't wait for one service day to do so.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is a shame people do such things on Martin Luther King Day. Clearly, they never listened to him speak and are quite ignorant. Shame. Mr. King was a very good leader and speaker. Truly one of the best speakers in the past 100 years. He preached nonviolence and certainly wouldn't like intimidation. Glad I live in a more civilized area like Pittsburgh. Lived in Miami and it is a dump with a TON of crime. SF is nice, but there seems to always be dumb things going on like we see here.
We Shall Overcome -- Selma-to-Montgomery March

Quote:
On "Bloody Sunday," March 7, 1965, some 600 civil rights marchers headed east out of Selma on U.S. Route 80.
Quote:
Two days later on March 9, Martin Luther King, Jr., led a "symbolic" march to the bridge.
Quote:
Then civil rights leaders sought court protection for a third, full-scale march from Selma to the state capitol in Montgomery. Federal District Court Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr., weighed the right of mobility against the right to march and ruled in favor of the demonstrators. "The law is clear that the right to petition one's government for the redress of grievances may be exercised in large groups...," said Judge Johnson, "and these rights may be exercised by marching, even along public highways."
Quote:
On Sunday, March 21, about 3,200 marchers set out for Montgomery, walking 12 miles a day and sleeping in fields. By the time they reached the capitol on Thursday, March 25, they were 25,000-strong.
I'd say Dr. King would be very supportive of nonviolent protests such as walking on a highway, blocking traffic, making a statement.

Here is more information on King's nonviolent protests.

Martin Luther King Jr.: 8 peaceful protests that bolstered civil rights - Montgomery bus boycott, 1955-56 - CSMonitor.com

Many of these actions caused discomfort and inconvenience to people. But they were necessary to spur change. Even an innocuous sit-in inconveniences people.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
"nothing special" was not a choice, so I did not vote.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:25 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I get that and I'm happy it inspires some to get involved. I was speaking on a more personal level.

For everyone reading, there is always a chance - 24/7/365 - for people to help. So many opportunities abound that one needn't wait for one service day to do so.
Yes I agree. Just keep in mind that in some instances, that actually is the only day to get in and help in a specific, particular way.

You can't paint schools 24/7/365. And while yes you can do other things to help, if the school really needs painting and that's the only day open, then that is your only opportunity to do that. And given that MLK day has become a popular day for service projects, many other organizations may also leave their projects for that day. So please don't dismiss it by saying you can help every other day. Sometimes you can't.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
[quote=FinsterRufus;42690056 If people didn't come out for MLK day none of this stuff would get done.

And there's something about it being MLK Day that does spur people to come help. So we're grateful for that.
[/quote]

It is a shame that we have to have a holiday for people to want to do what should come naturally. Even more sad is that he was killed for the good he did.

I didn't know I had to celebrate it.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We Shall Overcome -- Selma-to-Montgomery March

I'd say Dr. King would be very supportive of nonviolent protests such as walking on a highway, blocking traffic, making a statement.

Many of these actions caused discomfort and inconvenience to people. But they were necessary to spur change. Even an innocuous sit-in inconveniences people.
Black Lives Matter is not about the "level playing field" -- for all groups -- which ought to be the basis of civil rights in any form. It is about whining for artificial privilege for one of a growing number of special interests and causes, with a handful of groups, most of them holding to conservative beliefs, excluded by demonization and an oversimplified (supposed) link to the dwindling number of extremists (KKK and the like) whose delusions and detachment grow more pathetic -- and whose ranks grow smaller -- with every passing year.

The real battle for equality was won years ago, with institutions such as the military and the police forces of our major cities at the forefront; and race counts for nothing in both the remaining "core" jobs in fields like transportation, distribution and the remaining (and often suprisingly well-paying) manufacturing sector jobs; nor in the professional fields like health care and finance.

The "lowest common denominator" arenas in which groups like ACORN, OWS and BLM insist upon "making noise" ought to simply be viewed as an embarrassment.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Yesterday was my birthday and three of my teenage shorties came over to help me celebrate. We played Monopoly and watched a movie. John and I went out for some Udon noodles for lunch before they came over. It was freezing with negative wind chills, and it was nice being toasty warm in the house. We never got to that bottle of bubbly and the adult time we planned, but there's always today. Yet another perk of being retired. All in all it was a pretty fun birthday and weekend.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes I agree. Just keep in mind that in some instances, that actually is the only day to get in and help in a specific, particular way.

You can't paint schools 24/7/365. And while yes you can do other things to help, if the school really needs painting and that's the only day open, then that is your only opportunity to do that. And given that MLK day has become a popular day for service projects, many other organizations may also leave their projects for that day. So please don't dismiss it by saying you can help every other day. Sometimes you can't.
You're right. That's why I directed that part of my post to everyone reading and not just those involved in schools.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It is a shame that we have to have a holiday for people to want to do what should come naturally. Even more sad is that he was killed for the good he did.

You misunderstand I think. My point is that now that people use MLK day as a day to get stuff done when otherwise their facilities would be in use. So without that specific day off, it would be impossible to complete some of these big projects. It's not that people don't help in other ways on other days because they do. But many organizations now use MLK day specifically to plan on getting stuff done. Not only are their facilities not in use that day, but a lot of people had the day off. So it works out well for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events