Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:32 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times

Advertisements

Vector1's mind is still stuck a few decades ago it seems. Women are MUCH different than they were back then.

Even being in my mid 20's, I grew up sort of taught not to attack women unless IT'S absolutely warranted (such as a life or death situation, which makes sense).

I just think if you don't want to get hit, don't start it (man or woman).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 02:34 AM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've read your responses so far and have waited until now to respond as I wanted to gather my thoughts on this.
I certainly respect your opinion though I want to correct you on a couple of things. You've said you're "hard wired this way, this was how you were raised" to which I say no, you CHOOSE to react this way operating on old information.
You are an adult who makes his own choices good or bad.

Secondly, I agree that some people need protecting from the violence of others, in this case I'd say it was the husband as he had NOTHING to do with what "his woman" (what a disgusting,demeaning term) did.

Women have changed over the years. There was a time when women would never use such base,rude,disgusting or vile behavior (at least in public) and would use a sharp word or intense look at the offender, then move on to cackle among her friends later on. A man would NEVER raise a hand to a woman (in public) back then nor would they EVER speak to a woman publicly as they freely speak to and about women today.
I was raised to not hit women BUT I also grew up with an abusive step monster among other "women" who were not afraid to visit violence upon a male (one of which was this amazon like girl in middle school who was a bully).
I modified my opinion (after dodging a frying pan to my head from dear step monster) to be "if a woman wants to "act like a man" and visit violence upon me she will get treated to the level of violence she is giving.
To go to the base,most crude level, "just because someone has boobs and other female anatomy does not give them free reign to do as they wish to a man and walk away". You're equal enough to be on the front lines of battle, equal enough to stand at the head of a board room, equal enough to stand shoulder to shoulder fighting fires,fighting crooks etc then expect to behave and be treated equal to those you are standing shoulder to shoulder with.

Look at it this way, you say you're MA trained right? If faced with a woman who was also MA trained who willingly put herself in a competition would you pull your punches,take the whooping and lose just because it was a woman opponent?
Same thing in life today.
You cannot act like "a man" then hide behind your boobs when it goes badly for you.

I agree with some of what you said, but also disagree with other aspects. When we are calm and rational, we can in theory override just about anything, even our own morals/values. However some people, such as myself for instance, are hardwired to where I will react instinctually in a violent or emotional situation.
A man, "knocking a woman" out would likely result in me reflexively coming to her aid, if not attacking the guy who hurt the woman.
So while I agree women generally speaking are not the same as they were, that does not mean I must stoop to their level, or accept other people who might say the gloves are off.

I suspect because of the trauma you experienced with your "step-monster" (funny term), you might have modified the way you look at some women. Granted there are some vile women that are certainly not ladies by any stretch of the imagination. Still, it does not mean that the upbringing and values I was raised with somehow are overridden just because there are exceptions to the rule.
That woman was a disgusting selfish individual with no redeeming qualities that I could see. But just because she is willing to conduct herself in that manner, does not mean she is no longer a woman.
The only way I could even envision disengaging a woman with force would be if she was attacking someone helpless, like a child or disabled person.
Still I would not use a method like "knocking her out".

As to your comment about a MA trained woman putting herself into competition, don't be absurd. Thankfully our society has not devolved to the point of having women fighting men in competitions like boxing, MMA or just about any other physical sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Get with the times. Women are more aggressive today than they were in 1950s or whatever decade you grew up in. Did your mother told you not to hit back or was it your father who had to ask your mother if it was okay to spend more than $20?

Only when they get smack upside their head, they get brought back to reality..."I'm a woman, How dare you? I'm helpless, help me somebody help me" Then here come some idiot falling right into the woman's trap, "that's a female" and starts beating up the male while the woman quietly makes her exit. This isn't Super Mario Bros. You aren't getting a kiss for saving the princess who put herself in that predicament in the first place.

I don't care what your gender is. You don't want to get hit, don't get up in people faces. This isn't the case of an abusive relationship. This is some entitled brat getting angry because no one isn't bowing down to her.

You don't enter a cage with a lion and expect to walk away with no scratches. If a 10 year old attacks you, are you going to take it, because he's weaker than you?

Nor do we as civilized society still put people in the arena with lions for sport.
If a 10 year old is "attacking me", rest assured I am going to find a way to stop the attack without having to "knock the child out".

For lack of a better way to put it, we as a society must keep old school values, lest we devolve into something our forefathers would be ashamed of.
No I am not some old-timer, and am likely younger than you might imagine. However, I am proud to say my parents & godparents did a good job instilling old school values in me. I am not a perfect moral person by any stretch of the imagination. But that does not mean that I cannot strive to hold onto the higher set of values/morals of past generations, even in the face or moral decay around me.
I therefore hope that the values I instill in my son will take hold in him as they have in me. That should be every parents goal.

`

Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree with some of what you said, but also disagree with other aspects. When we are calm and rational, we can in theory override just about anything, even our own morals/values. However some people, such as myself for instance, are hardwired to where I will react instinctually in a violent or emotional situation.
A man, "knocking a woman" out would likely result in me reflexively coming to her aid, if not attacking the guy who hurt the woman.
So while I agree women generally speaking are not the same as they were, that does not mean I must stoop to their level, or accept other people who might say the gloves are off.

I suspect because of the trauma you experienced with your "step-monster" (funny term), you might have modified the way you look at some women. Granted there are some vile women that are certainly not ladies by any stretch of the imagination. Still, it does not mean that the upbringing and values I was raised with somehow are overridden just because there are exceptions to the rule.
That woman was a disgusting selfish individual with no redeeming qualities that I could see. But just because she is willing to conduct herself in that manner, does not mean she is no longer a woman.
The only way I could even envision disengaging a woman with force would be if she was attacking someone helpless, like a child or disabled person.
Still I would not use a method like "knocking her out".

As to your comment about a MA trained woman putting herself into competition, don't be absurd. Thankfully our society has not devolved to the point of having women fighting men in competitions like boxing, MMA or just about any other physical sport.

Nor do we as civilized society still put people in the arena with lions for sport.
If a 10 year old is "attacking me", rest assured I am going to find a way to stop the attack without having to "knock the child out".

For lack of a better way to put it, we as a society must keep old school values, lest we devolve into something our forefathers would be ashamed of.
No I am not some old-timer, and am likely younger than you might imagine. However, I am proud to say my parents & godparents did a good job instilling old school values in me. I am not a perfect moral person by any stretch of the imagination. But that does not mean that I cannot strive to hold onto the higher set of values/morals of past generations, even in the face or moral decay around me.
I therefore hope that the values I instill in my son will take hold in him as they have in me. That should be every parents goal.

`
I think we may agree more than we disagree, in fact, I don't know that we disagree in the end. I'm not a proponent of the "knock her/him/kid out" as a first response crowd.
My auto response to someone attacking me is to match force to the act/person but do it equally across gender/age lines.

In the situation described by the OP I think a PUSH (not punch) down to the ground or an open hand slap would be enough of a first response. 10 year old kid (any gender) requires MUCH less of a response btw for many reasons, the chief one bing size and ability to wrap 'em up bringing 'em under control.
Of course there's always variables and we could do "what if's" all day long but given the constraints of the OP one has to measure one's response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events