Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Cam Newton is a paid professional athlete. His job does not end when the football game ends. Win or loss, he is required to go through the press conferences which are being put on by other paid professionals. For him to just get up in the middle of the conference because he didn't like the questions, was extremely disrespectful to those conducting the conference, to those watching the conference and the Panthers organization. Even though he lost, he needed to suck it up, get through the press conference as a professional and not act like a 10 year old throwing a temper tantrum.
A) I was referring to the picture of him before the National Anthem.

B) He got up and left because Denver's Chris Harris Jr.'s press conference was going on right behind him at the same time. Not saying it was right, but he didn't get up because he didn't like the questions, he got up because he had to hear another player gloat while still reeling from losing the biggest game of his life.

He is far from the only NFL quarterback to walk out of the presser (Tom Brady and Jay Cutler come to mind), but of course, everyone has collective amnesia about that. They also have collective amnesia when Peyton walked off the field without shaking hands when the Colts lost to the Saints a few years ago.

He could've handled it better, but I'm not going to vilify the guy for losing the biggest game of his life. I understand that some people were just chomping at the bit, waiting for Cam to fail, so they can pile on and collectively enjoy his misery, because:

Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
He earned the lack of sympathy and vitriole he is receiving as far as I'm concerned. If Cam Newton hadn't flaunted his success with such nauseating hubris, he wouldn't have created a large subset of people that longed for him to be humbled. He got humbled, his inability to handle things in the lows only reinforces peoples feelings about his character. I hope he learns a lesson as a human from this.

If by "flaunting" you mean, because he "dabs", has custom cleats that have all 52 of his teammates' names and gives footballs to kids after he scores, then yeah, guess he deserved to be humbled.

I guess you'd rather your quarterbacks cuss out referees, coaches and teammates during live telecasts (Tom Brady), pout and throw teammates under the bus publicity (Jay Cutler) and disrespect their own teammates because they intercepted him in practice (Ryan Tannehill), among other examples?

Some of y'all are ready to blow up, quit your job, curse someone out, pout, etc., over far less.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Who can handle losing well? I guess some are used to it.
Russell Wilson handled himself pretty well last year, and the Seahawks were beast.

Cam, being the leader of the team, should conduct himself in a more mature manner. Instead, he was throwing tantrums during the game and stormed out of a post-game press conference (which he may get fined for). He's not a humble person, neither is the majority of the Panther players, and it's ironic that the Panthers got called for unsportsmanlike conduct because they shoved a player who was taunting them, when they've done it every single game. Hell, Josh Norman dances during interviews. Is that appropriate? He wasn't dancing yesterday though.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM

221 posts, read 202,878 times
And two days later, he's still acting like a brat.

Quoted today as saying "I'm on record as being a sore loser. I hate losing. You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

I don't care how many footballs he hands off in the end zone. I don't think this is someone kids should be looking up to.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Russell Wilson handled himself pretty well last year, and the Seahawks were beast.

Cam, being the leader of the team, should conduct himself in a more mature manner. Instead, he was throwing tantrums during the game and stormed out of a post-game press conference (which he may get fined for). He's not a humble person, neither is the majority of the Panther players, and it's ironic that the Panthers got called for unsportsmanlike conduct because they shoved a player who was taunting them, when they've done it every single game. Hell, Josh Norman dances during interviews. Is that appropriate? He wasn't dancing yesterday though.
Russell Wilson is the model QB on and off the field, but that's not the way the world works. Out of the elite QB's, one has rape allegations and it was sketchy how it played out (Big Ben), one has HGH allegations (Peyton), one is an accused cheater (Brady), one forced an organization's hand in trading him (Eli), but everyone is piling on Cam.

The Broncos are about as arrogant as the Panthers, and Aqib Talib is one of the dirtiest players in the NFL, but like I said, everyone wants to pile on the Panthers, the same way everyone piled on the Seahawks and Richard Sherman not too long ago.

Throwing a tantrum? You mean being upset he didn't get a late hit call at the end of the game? Brady has CHASED DOWN a referee trying to get away from him live on television AFTER a game because he didn't get a call, but collective anemia strikes again.

You guys are just going to have to get over the fact that not every QB will be the way you want them to be, and for ever Wilson and Rogers, there will be a Brady and Newton.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
"Sure I tell ya, Cam couldn't have been nicer to me. He was extremely humble. He congratulated me, wished me the best. I told him just congratulations on his outstanding season and just what a great future he has ahead of him. He'll be back in that game, I can promise ya. So, I've been on that side of it. It is tough -- it is not an easy pill to swallow. But he was very nice to me and I really appreciated that."- Peyton Manning
"But, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but, but Cam was upset at a press conferenceeeeeeeeeeeee. "

It's just people being people.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM

221 posts, read 202,878 times
So because he did the right thing congratulating Peyton, that excuses his childish behavior later? Or he gets some sort of pass?? Oooooookaaaaaay.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:34 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Russell Wilson is the model QB on and off the field, but that's not the way the world works. Out of the elite QB's, one has rape allegations and it was sketchy how it played out (Big Ben), one has HGH allegations (Peyton), one is an accused cheater (Brady), one forced an organization's hand in trading him (Eli), but everyone is piling on Cam. All allegations but they all got heat from those allegations.

The Broncos are about as arrogant as the Panthers, and Aqib Talib is one of the dirtiest players in the NFL, but like I said, everyone wants to pile on the Panthers, the same way everyone piled on the Seahawks and Richard Sherman not too long ago. Panthers have proven all year to be arrogant. The attitude after the game from Cam just proves it. Sore loser and sore winner.

Throwing a tantrum? You mean being upset he didn't get a late hit call at the end of the game? Brady has CHASED DOWN a referee trying to get away from him live on television AFTER a game because he didn't get a call, but collective anemia strikes again. You seem to have some issue with Tom Brady. He is a proven winner regardless of your opinion.

You guys are just going to have to get over the fact that not every QB will be the way you want them to be, and for ever Wilson and Rogers, there will be a Brady and Newton.
Nothing to get over. He lost the Super Bowl and acted like a spoiled brat. Meh, his problem to get over.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
what a jerk he is, pretty sure he is the first athlete to not like having stupid questions asked of him immediately after a disappointing loss...and hey, I don't care much for that lady that had a dingo run off with her baby and wasn't able to effectively answer the "How are you Feeling?" question either, and those ****-ant kids that lost their Little League WS game and then conveniently ducked the whole eligibility kerfufle by running into their mommies' arms and being big cry babies, and...

we have rights as the rubber-necking, American Public to get these answers and get them NOW!

Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
So because he did the right thing congratulating Peyton, that excuses his childish behavior later? Or he gets some sort of pass?? Oooooookaaaaaay.

Exactly. I hate it when people try to act as if good deeds somehow cancel out bad ones. It doesn't work like that. I'm sure OJ gave to charity. So what? Didn't change who he is and what he did.

Cam didn't just walk out of a press conference, he acted like a total tool before he overheard the Broncos player. 49 other losing SB QBs had to go through the same thing, only one gave terse one word answers before walking out. Now he doubles down on his bad loser comments.

OK then if that's how he wants it, to be acknowledge as a bad loser, then nobody should be complaining about the criticism.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Exactly. I hate it when people try to act as if good deeds somehow cancel out bad ones. It doesn't work like that. I'm sure OJ gave to charity. So what? Didn't change who he is and what he did.

Cam didn't just walk out of a press conference, he acted like a total tool before he overheard the Broncos player. 49 other losing SB QBs had to go through the same thing, only one gave terse one word answers before walking out. Now he doubles down on his bad loser comments.

OK then if that's how he wants it, to be acknowledge as a bad loser, then nobody should be complaining about the criticism.
The point flew right over both of your heads, not surprised, moving on from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Nothing to get over. He lost the Super Bowl and acted like a spoiled brat. Meh, his problem to get over.
I have no problem with Brady, I enjoy watching him and I'm not a Patriots or Brady hater. Was anything I posted about him not true? Yeah, exactly.

Actually, it does sound like some of you do need to get over something. That every NFL QB isn't going to fit the mold you want or think they should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events