Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 06:56 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,833,596 times

Advertisements

As the parent of 2 highly allergic kids, I find it highly questionable that the parents didn't have Benedryl or some other allergy reducer on hand. When mine were young, we never left home without it just in case we encountered a cat or some other allergy producing situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,452,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, to be fair, this was a service dog according to the article.

Obviously, it was best for the boy to leave the plane, but why should passengers clap when he left - apparently the airline thinks that they could have just been clapping because they were glad the plane would finally get off the ground, not because of the boy's distress.

We cannot really know since we were not there.

I got the impression people were just ready to go home, and the family was causing a commotion about the allergies.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Exactly. #1 it was a service dog and #2 the plane had already been delayed 90 minutes so I am sure the people were applauding the plane finally leaving.

The airline did all it could to help the family now the family is looking for its 15 minutes of fame and is blowing it all out of proportion.

Bingo.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I am the owner of a service dog. I once was asked, "but what about the people with allergies to a dog? Do they have to leave the store because you come in?" I had no answer for that woman. And I do still think about it. It's a dilemma. On the one hand is a person whose life/safety depends on the dog's presence and on the other hand is a person whose health is negatively impacted by that presence.

I have no solution. I need my dog. I also care about others and do not wish those with allergies to suffer as I have and still do when hit with a trigger.

IMO, the service dog trumps the allergy, IF it's a true need such as blindness or diabetes and not for "mental health". For the blind person, they cannot walk without the dog. For the allergy sufferer, it's just a temporary comfort issue.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Maybe next time that precious dog-person will wear the toe of my size 13 shoe a few times by 'accident'. Like every time my cart gets near it. By accident of course. A few times. By accident.

This is a disgusting attitude. It's not the dog's fault their owner is an assclown.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:29 AM

8,397 posts, read 4,391,844 times
The only thing disgusting about this is the "reporter" who wrote the article. It is blatantly interpretative and sensationalist writing. I will not give it the credit of being called journalism.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
While I agree lying about a dog being a service dog is wrong. But I'm trying to figure out why you felt the need to confront Granny Blue Hair. Do you have a dog allergy or do you just hate the idea of a dog in a store? While you're at it maybe you could explain why you would feel compelled to repeatedly kick an old lady for lying about her dog.

Nailed it.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 AM

151 posts, read 190,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Well, to be fair, this was a service dog according to the article.

Obviously, it was best for the boy to leave the plane, but why should passengers clap when he left - apparently the airline thinks that they could have just been clapping because they were glad the plane would finally get off the ground, not because of the boy's distress.

We cannot really know since we were not there.
This exactly. The media always likes to make a news story out to be something it's not.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:47 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,108,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Exactly. #1 it was a service dog and #2 the plane had already been delayed 90 minutes so I am sure the people were applauding the plane finally leaving.
If I had to listen to some kid crying and carrying on for 90 minutes on an airplane, I clap when he left the plane to.

Kids aren't nearly as cute to the rest of us as they seem to their parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly, I totally agree. One thing I've seen which is one of the most contemptible and morally disgusting outrageous to me is the almost worship of pets I see.
This was a service dog on the plane, Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Recently I was in a grocery store, and Mrs. Granny Bluehair had her precious dog-person in there. I complained and she told me it was her "service dog". Now, my BS detector is well honed, so I asked her for certification. She told me to "F" off.

Maybe next time that precious dog-person will wear the toe of my size 13 shoe a few times by 'accident'. Like every time my cart gets near it. By accident of course. A few times. By accident.
Did you seriously try to act like tough guy on the internet by threatening to repeatedly kick an old woman? LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Seriously... If I required a service dog and some nobody off the street asked me to see the certification for it, I'd tell them to f**k off too.

Quote:
I can't stand the abuse of 'disabilities' when there are so many people with real disabilities. I feel the same when people abuse disabled parking.
Well to be fair, the fact that you don't seem to grasp the difference between a service dog and someone's pet speaks volumes about your intellect.

God Bless the Internet.

Last edited by Annuvin; 02-26-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-26-2016, 07:58 AM

417 posts, read 346,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Exactly, I totally agree. One thing I've seen which is one of the most contemptible and morally disgusting outrageous to me is the almost worship of pets I see. Dog owners are the worst, although sometimes cat owners can be a bit nuts too. The right-wing persons (I'm not being ugly, I at times agree with much of what they speak about) are real big on the "perversion of right and wrong" with respect to the homosexual agenda, but to me pet worship is every bit its equal.

Now, on the other hand, I will tell you that when I'm in "travel mode" I don't like ANY delays AT ALL. My sympathies towards a person's situation is gone once I'm horribly inconvenienced. As I mentioned in another thread, I even oppose the practice of funeral processions and especially the idea that one is supposed to pull over for them out of "respect" even if it's not "upon you" yet. I'm sorry, but to me the roads are for GETTING SOMEWHERE, and NOTHING ELSE. I'd most certainly be the same way about flying.

That said, yes, this idea that humans should have to yield to the right of way to a dang-blanged dog, that's perverted. As for "service dogs," unless they can PROVE that's what they are, they should be shown the door too. "My therapist says I need it" please. The burden of proof should be on the one who claims to "need" it.
I agree 200% I hate when people are like "emotional support dogs" If you really can't get on a plane without having crippling anxiety than please drive. Flying is a luxury not a right. I don't want to have to sit next your stinky dog on a nine hour flight. I'd rather sit next to someone with allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events