Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

A Chick-fil-A operator in Georgia wants to stop families from being distracted by their phones while sharing a meal together. So he came up with the "Cell Phone Coop," a box in which family members place their (silenced) phones while they're eating in a Chick-fil-A restaurant, and he came up with a pretty good incentive to convince them to do so: free ice cream.

Chick-fil-A Giving Away Food If You Can Detach From Your Phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,976,359 times
Dumb idea.

What's next they will give away freedom fries for bringing a Bible and reading it with your family.

Why don't they just limit themselves to sell food? Who do they think they are to tell their customers what they should be doing or not while they eat their greasy food?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:42 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Dumb idea.
not for free food...

Old 03-02-2016, 09:49 PM

3,651 posts, read 3,787,843 times
I think it is an idea with good intentions.

There are recent academic studies on the negative impact of smart phone distractions on relationships. Whether one wants to eat at their restaurant or have ice cream is secondary, IMO.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
There are recent academic studies on the negative impact of smart phone distractions on relationships. Whether one wants to eat at their restaurant or have ice cream is secondary, IMO.
Especially with the young generation...

Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
Cell phone jammer. Simple.

Mine drops all calls in the 30 feet around me. It's just like eating in the olden days, you know, the 80's.

Only it blocks MY phone too. sigh.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:17 AM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Gimmick. Makes me want to go to Chick-fil-A and talk on my phone while having my chicken sandwich.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:28 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I think it is an idea with good intentions.

There are also studies about the adverse effects on relationships from one or the other partners keeling from heart disease from eating too much fast food.

This isn't about protecting anyone.

First, it's marketing. Second, it's the usual abhorrence of change in the form of technology. Every generation loves the change of its younger years, but as it ages it then decides that further change is some combination of scary/bad/unhealthy/etc. Chik-fil-A is just capitalizing on that (and probably believes it a little, too).

Old 03-03-2016, 07:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
I can't believe all the people are bashing this idea. Oh wait, I can. I'm betting the people bashing it are the same ones who have their eyes glued to their phones the entire time they are supposedly eating out with their "family." There have been countless times I've seen a group of friends go out, a dating couple, or family eat out together, and you wouldn't even know they're together except for the fact that they're sitting at the same table. They're so addicted to those stupid phones they can't take their eyes off them. The saddest situations I've seen are the times many moms are out with their toddlers. The toddlers want their mom's attention, and reach for her or talk to her, and she's so busy looking at her phone she ignores him/her the majority of the time they're at the restaurant. As for the challenge, my wife and I don't need it, because we detach from our phones when we're out together already. We don't need a dangling carrot offered by a restaurant, because we already have the most precious incentive in the world: keeping our marriage strong and happy by focusing our attention on each other.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,882,766 times
Very clever idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events