Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I applaud this action actually
Women have demanded equal rights-
Why should this be any different??

Just like when a middle aged male teacher has sex w/ a 16 year old girl-
He automatically goes to jail.
Where's the outrage when a female teacher does the same.....?

Women need to have the same repercussions.

Back when I was in jr. high I couldn't get away from the boys who
either pinched me on the rear, or grabbed me, or groped me (boobs) etc.
Sexual harassment starts early.....

Teachers should do their jobs & watch for this kind of behavior
You know, people keep saying this and citing this as why they support it but it's a rather poor example IMO.

Women have demanded equal rights because they actually did not have them for a while, and still don't in some aspects. Women could not vote, own property, even go to school for some time. It was legal until the 70s (90s for some states) for husbands to rape their wives - yes, rape them. Perfectly legal. Women and men still don't have equal pay in many professions. On this very topic, women are much more often victims of sexual assault than men. It is not even comparable. Men rape/assault (sexually and physically) women more often than women rape/assault men. No question, no debate. There is no equality when it comes to the risk women are at in society versus men. Does that mean that girls/women should get away with assaulting a guy? No, but don't act like there's equality in the first place on this topic.

I support this story/event because no one should ever touch anyone without their consent. To me, it's not an gender equality thing. There is no equality when it comes to assaults in the first place. Women will probably always be victimized more often than men; always have been, probably always will be. But no one should get away with it, regardless of who you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
I can't help but find myself troubled that we're teaching children that virtually everything must be resolved via law enforcement, litigation, and the socially irredeemable shame of being branded with lifelong scarlet letters. If anyone cannot see what effect this blanket mindset has had upon society then I have no choice but to question their intelligence.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:53 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
This obsession with calling the cops and incarceration over the smallest of things will just lead to bigger crimes and further disrespect for the law in the future. Whatever happened to handling these incidents without calling the heavily armed, boys-in-blue?

It's getting to the point where they'll be needed to hold our hands as we walk across the street.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,182,160 times
Well honestly we lost our freedoms a long time ago.
This is the way it is now.....

No freedom, & almost a police state basically.

I do agree that she should have been suspended not arrested.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:02 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,294,120 times
I agree there should be equal punishment. This is too harsh for either sex. There are other methods of discipline that would be appropriate.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:28 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Well honestly we lost our freedoms a long time ago.
This is the way it is now.....

No freedom, & almost a police state basically.

I do agree that she should have been suspended not arrested.

No, no we should have her caned in public on TV....

Old 03-24-2016, 11:31 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,401 times
Good thing she didn't say "Trump 2016" while she was doing it. She would have been charged as an adult with felony assault.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I can't help but find myself troubled that we're teaching children that virtually everything must be resolved via law enforcement, litigation, and the socially irredeemable shame of being branded with lifelong scarlet letters. If anyone cannot see what effect this blanket mindset has had upon society then I have no choice but to question their intelligence.
Low Enforcement, courts and lawyers. These became the common ways Americans communicate and resolve disputes. It is everywhere: schools, working places, doctors - patients, neighbors, even inside families.
Laws were stretched to include everything, like sexual harassment. Once everyone knew what it meant. Not so anymore. Schools have great fear to discipline unruly, sometimes derranged students. Now they call LE on 8 year olds.
My neighbors 7 year old daughter told her mom that she has "rights" and freedom of speech, therefore she doesn't have to prepare her homework, neither pick up her plate after dinner. Otherwise, she will call 911 to report child abuse.

Last edited by oberon_1; 03-24-2016 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-24-2016, 12:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yeah and apparently the way we teach people - kids and adults alike - is by arresting them, giving them a record, then making it impossible to shed that mistake for most of their lives. GREAT idea!!!
If you bothered to read the article, she will have to do community service and then the charges will be dismissed. She will not end up with a permanent record.

It's obvious that the boy's mother was fed up with the school's inability to stop the behavior. It said in the article that the girl didn't even know the boy, she just pinched him because it's what all of her friends do. So this was an ongoing thing at that school.

Personally, when it happened to my daughter, I didn't press charges. I talked to the teacher when the boys first started talking dirty to my daughter and then the boys' behavior changed to touching her in the cafeteria line and in the hallways when that particular teacher wasn't around. I talked to the administrators when I found out about the touching and they "talked to the boys" but it didn't stop, it got worse. My daughter said all the other girls seemed to like it when it happened and she felt like there was something wrong with her for not wanting the boys to touch her. She thought maybe it happened to her more than the other girls because she looked older than some of them, or maybe because they thought she was the kind of girl who deserved stuff like that. She was crying when she'd come home and she was having trouble focusing on school work. I ended up taking her out of that school, but not all parents have options like that and no one should have to switch schools just because they don't want to be groped.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,123 times
Arrest is too far, but she should have been punished. That is harassment plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events