Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:52 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

If all goes well Leslie Van Houten will be the first of the Manson cult/killers to be granted parole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...4dc_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 AM

953 posts, read 842,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If all goes well Leslie Van Houten will be the first of the Manson cult/killers to be granted parole.
Eighteen psychiatrists have deemed her a suitable candidate for parole, she has been a model prisoner and also received college degrees while serving time ... these things sometimes happen after a long period of time. I'm sure many are upset at the news and wanted the entire Manson clan to die in prison. At least Manson at 81 is not likely to follow suit.

The Van Houten recommendation still has to be reviewed by all members of the Board of Parole Hearings. Even if they concur and forward the matter through appropriate channels, Gov. Jerry Brown will have one month to approve or deny it. Stay tuned ... it will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Last edited by Aura 524; 04-15-2016 at 06:08 AM..

Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 AM

956 posts, read 744,758 times
Jerry Brown will probably give her a medal

Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,686 times
This is ridiculous!!! A convicted murderer should never be be free again. The people they killed will never get a second chance.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Jerry Brown will probably give her a medal
There's very little similarity between your lurid imagination and what actually happens in the the real world.

For the third time, Brown rejects parole of Manson follower Bruce Davis, 73 - LA Times

Old 04-15-2016, 09:27 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
Eighteen psychiatrists have deemed her a suitable candidate for parole, she has been a model prisoner and also received college degrees while serving time ... these things sometimes happen after a long period of time. I'm sure many are upset at the news and wanted the entire Manson clan to die in prison. At least Manson at 81 is not likely to follow suit.

The Van Houten recommendation still has to be reviewed by all members of the Board of Parole Hearings. Even if they concur and forward the matter through appropriate channels, Gov. Jerry Brown will have one month to approve or deny it. Stay tuned ... it will be interesting to see what unfolds.
I remember the terror people felt when this was going on and I was only 9. Nice she was able to advance her education, I wonder what she may have accomplished if she hadn't taken drugs and joined a cult of monsters. As far as my opinion, she killed the couple in a gross way, and these people haven't enjoyed life and the loss to their families is something they have missed for 40 yrs. At the time she wanted to be dark, secretive and smiled.......but now she wants us to understand she has been in prison a long time, well those people have been dead a long time........... I say, she should continue being a model prisoner.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
This is ridiculous!!! A convicted murderer should never be be free again. The people they killed will never get a second chance.
To think this is want her lawyer had to say...........Is she about to walk? California board OKs parole for youngest Manson family member, 66, who held down victim while others stabbed her to death 47 years ago | Daily Mail Online

He also said in an interview with the Los Angeles Times 'A lot of people who oppose parole don’t know anything about Leslie’s conduct. 'Her role was bad. Everyone’s was. But they don’t know what she’s done since then and all of the good she’s done. What else did she have to do and just who paid for this so called education?

Too bad the victims didn't have a growing future........

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 AM

33 posts, read 28,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
...I wonder what she may have accomplished if she hadn't taken drugs and joined a cult of monsters....
This is exactly what has run through my mind. The "what-ifs". What if she hadn't gotten caught up in a cult? What if she hadn't taken drugs? What if her life had taken another direction? The whole situation is just horribly sad on every front.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:46 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
The women is 66 and hasn't lived in society for 47 years. At this point, it might be crueler to release her than to keep her in. How is she going to live on the outside? Will she start a career at an age when most are retiring?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
The point is that she did take drugs and she did take part in a murder, though she's done her best at every hearing to minimize her part by saying she was told to "do something," implying that her victim was already dead.

I couldn't care less that she got her teeth fixed or received a degree (at taxpayer expense), or that she teaches, or paints, or whatever. And I'm tired of hearing about how she's been denied parole nineteen times [gasp!], when she committed a capital crime and should have been executed--and has, like every one of them, been putting their victims' families through hell with these repeated parole hearings. Give me a break.

She escaped early on, and referred to Doris Tate as "that beech" because of her appearance at these parole hearings while she was still alive. Isn't that too bad?

Van Houten is no angel, and parole boards are allowed to consider the committment offense in deciding whether or not to grant parole. Van Houten took a life, ruined her own life, that of her family (especially her dad who, sadly, fought for her release until his death) and the families of her victim and the families of ALL the victims who have to be reminded of how these savages snuffed out lives.

You pay for your thrills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events