Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:12 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Obviously she raised a good kid despite her own hardships.

New Mexico Boy Asks Mother to Pack Extra Lunch for Student Who Had Hardly Any Food, Was Eating Alone | KTLA

Quote:
A New Mexico mother has been packing two lunches for school ever since her son asked her for an extra one for a young boy who had been sitting alone at lunch each day with just a fruit cup.

In an interview with Albuquerque television station KOAT last week, Josette Duran recounted her son’s unusual request, thinking that he wanted more food for himself.

“He said, ‘No mom, it’s for this little boy at school and he sits by himself and all he eats is a fruit cup,'” Duran said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Ahhhhhh god bless them both!!!!!!!!!!!

The mother is nice for making a lunch for him also

Old 10-20-2016, 12:35 AM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
I wish more people would do this....Can pay your tithe to the lunch line at the school and pay off the over-due lunch bills for the kids in trouble. Can also pay a bit extra when school field trips come up so ALL the kids can go.... If school has room, establish a coat, uniform and school supply closet. Encourage business owners with college educated staff to donate time to after-school tutoring.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:18 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
I saw this story the other day and what struck me was how it seemed the touch the Mom who was packing the extra lunches so much. I think she felt proud and enabled to provide something to someone else for whom it clearly made a difference, especially given her own recent circumstances. She and her son were clearly modeling good behavior.

It was nice to see.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:36 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
This is how we raise our children..... when you see someone in need you help them. So glad to see this is still alive and well.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:24 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
It is nice to see stories about kids doing good things. I often here people talking about how entitled and spoiled kids are today but the kids I see are mostly kind, giving and well mannered. My grandson would often ask me for extra money on days the school sold concessions (Italian ice, ice cream, etc.) because one of the boys never had money for extra treats.

I am surprised however the boy in this story didnt receive free lunch at school. In my district every kid can get a free lunch regardless of income. Schools have participated in the free and reduced lunch program for a very long time.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
While this is certainly a heartwarming story, the cynic in me can't help but wonder why she felt the need to share this to the world at all.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It is nice to see stories about kids doing good things. I often here people talking about how entitled and spoiled kids are today but the kids I see are mostly kind, giving and well mannered. My grandson would often ask me for extra money on days the school sold concessions (Italian ice, ice cream, etc.) because one of the boys never had money for extra treats.

I am surprised however the boy in this story didnt receive free lunch at school. In my district every kid can get a free lunch regardless of income. Schools have participated in the free and reduced lunch program for a very long time.
I LOVE the "kids these days" too; see much more positive than negative!

OTOH; have you seen the new "First Lady Inspired" lunches? They are deplorable.

There is a way to fix healthy food that does not contribute to childhood obesity; the school districts are not doing it. If a kid has money to spend on the "extra's" or bring lunch from home they do it. Nobody eats the school lunch anymore.

The tragedy is that school districts are participating in reduced /free breakfast & lunch & it's all going in the trash.

Our school district has removed all ovens & stoves from the school cafeterias; replaced with massive microwaves. All food is delivered to the schools pre-cooked. There are very few servings of meat provided. What meat there is will typically be the same grey color. Pasta is dry, hard & undercooked. Sauce is slime/water/drippy. Lettuce is brown.

They have tried introducing whole-grain which is great but they don't know how to cook it. I have seen items that bounce. Literally.

It's so soy-laden I'm surprised kids don't have gynecomastia by the 2nd grade. The milk looks like water.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:35 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I LOVE the "kids these days" too; see much more positive than negative!

OTOH; have you seen the new "First Lady Inspired" lunches? They are deplorable.

There is a way to fix healthy food that does not contribute to childhood obesity; the school districts are not doing it. If a kid has money to spend on the "extra's" or bring lunch from home they do it. Nobody eats the school lunch anymore.

The tragedy is that school districts are participating in reduced /free breakfast & lunch & it's all going in the trash.

Our school district has removed all ovens & stoves from the school cafeterias; replaced with massive microwaves. All food is delivered to the schools pre-cooked. There are very few servings of meat provided. What meat there is will typically be the same grey color. Pasta is dry, hard & undercooked. Sauce is slime/water/drippy. Lettuce is brown.

They have tried introducing whole-grain which is great but they don't know how to cook it. I have seen items that bounce. Literally.

It's so soy-laden I'm surprised kids don't have gynecomastia by the 2nd grade. The milk looks like water.

This!

But, I do have to ask .. is the picture of lunches in this article supposed to be what the generous mom was sending, for both her child and the other? Doesn't look particularly healthy to me - with chips (Doritos/rings, and soft drinks and who knows what is in that sandwich or that 'dip' container?). Not sure that it is any better for the kid than the lone container of fruit salad might be - it is all processed and it is just 'more'. I can appreciate the caring and altruism, etc. but there just has to be a better way than the government garbage or no lunch at all unless you can pay for it yourself for kids to eat healthily. This is just not working. And while it also nice to pay off the tabs for other students who were behind on payments for 'crap lunches', some of that money might have gone to pay off the bills of lazy but solvent parents as well as for those who genuinely could not afford to pay.

Last edited by Aery11; 10-20-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
While this is certainly a heartwarming story, the cynic in me can't help but wonder why she felt the need to share this to the world at all.

The cynic in me wonders why folks can't just be happy to read a positive story once in a while instead of the garbage the media typically sells us. That's a lot of what is wrong with society today.... no one can just take a heart warming story at face value and instead always look for ulterior motives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events