Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Wow, those family members were heroic in saving the girl.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/4-old-girl...opstories.html

Quote:
A 4-year-old girl is lucky to be alive after a mountain lion tried to carry her off from a campsite where she was staying with her family on Friday.

The child, Kelsi Butt, was camping with her family near Green Canyon Hot Springs, Idaho, when she was snatched after her mother put her down for a nap

"It was after dinner that I took her and her cousins to the tent because they were all playing together," the mother, Kera Butt, said about the moments before the attack.

Shortly afterward, Kelsi wandered off. That's when her mother said the mountain lion pounced, clutching her daughter in its mouth.

"It just grabbed her with its teeth and flipped her over and then went to grab her again and we were there," she said. "I ran to her screaming, running at the lion."

When the family began yelling and chasing the cougar, the animal dropped the child and ran off. Kelsi was scratched and bruised but alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 01:12 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
"Shortly afterward, Kelsi wandered off." WTF They knew the animal was in the vicinity! They seem to be some family bans with the kids playing fiddles. Is this balloon boy dad all over again?
https://www.philanthropy.com/article...Auction/213707

Old 08-15-2016, 01:32 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
I cant read the story without laughing because of their last name. Now I feel like a terrible person

Old 08-15-2016, 01:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I cant read the story without laughing because of their last name. Now I feel like a terrible person
I'd have my name changed.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
It's a good thing it happened during daylight (I presume that was the case), instead of the middle of the night. A very lucky little girl, for sure. Glad she's ok.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
"Shortly afterward, Kelsi wandered off." WTF They knew the animal was in the vicinity! They seem to be some family bans with the kids playing fiddles. Is this balloon boy dad all over again?
https://www.philanthropy.com/article...Auction/213707
Quote:
Butt said she thought she saw a large cat while eating dinner earlier in the evening.

"We didn't think we were in danger. We thought it was passing through, but now we know it was actually stalking the kids because they had come up for dinner," she said.
They saw the freaking cougar, and just assumed it was "passing through." What a family of morons. I used to live to the north of there, in Montana, and I don't think I ever met a local who wasn't very aware of cougar and grizzly protocol. Maybe it was just that I tended to hang mostly with outdoors types, but still - it's hard to believe anyone in that area could be so completely ignorant of cougars and what to do when you encounter one. That child's good luck is offset only by her poor taste in parents.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
They saw the freaking cougar, and just assumed it was "passing through." What a family of morons. I used to live to the north of there, in Montana, and I don't think I ever met a local who wasn't very aware of cougar and grizzly protocol. Maybe it was just that I tended to hang mostly with outdoors types, but still - it's hard to believe anyone in that area could be so completely ignorant of cougars and what to do when you encounter one. That child's good luck is offset only by her poor taste in parents.
I'm not the outdoors type, but grew up and still live in a rural setting. Even I know that when you're out in the wild you might encounter some of the local critters. You're playing on their turf, and it's a good idea to brush-up on their habits, and be on your toes.

If that had been me with my family, sighting a cougar nearby would have raised the old red flag. Would probably have packed up & left the area. Camping in the wild is probably safe enough for the most part, but you still need to stay aware, and use a little common sense.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
They saw the freaking cougar, and just assumed it was "passing through." .

Yeah this just happened to me a few weeks ago. I saw a cougar pass by the bar I was at and suddenly 4 drinks later I couldn't figure out how to get her out of my apartment. I was quick on my feet though and said you have to get out of here as my mom is coming home from her 40th birthday party in Vegas and I'm late for my first day of junior year in high school so you got to go!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It is somewhat unfortunate.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:59 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city guy997s View Post
yeah this just happened to me a few weeks ago. I saw a cougar pass by the bar i was at and suddenly 4 drinks later i couldn't figure out how to get her out of my apartment. I was quick on my feet though and said you have to get out of here as my mom is coming home from her 40th birthday party in vegas and i'm late for my first day of junior year in high school so you got to go! :d
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events