Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 03:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Please tell me where they are getting the benefit of the doubt. It is ALL OVER the news. They are reaping what they sow. What else do you want to have happen to them? Please say it. Don't just hint around it. You want them punished for reparations from how you perceive the black man has been treated many many years ago. All your posts are filled with being a victim of the white man. Get over yourself.
Reparations? What are you talking about?

I'm not a victim of anyone.

Another one who badly misses the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 03:19 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
When did the tradition of placing the hand over one's heart start? I ask this because in the movie "Race" about Jesse Owen, he saluted while the national anthem was being placed. I am not sure if this was an accurate depiction of what actually happened when the anthem was being played.

I tried to google this and did not find anything definitive.
Its part of US Flag code, created in 1923. Its technically considered Federal law, but its not something that is enforced. No one is going to be fined or jailed for not putting their hand over their heart while the National Anthem plays at a ball game. Heck, most people can't even bother to put down their beer and nachos while the National Anthem plays, so its usually considered good enough if they at least remove their hat.

§171. Conduct during playing

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Reparations? What are you talking about?

I'm not a victim of anyone.

Another one who badly misses the mark.

Maybe if you actually made a point in one of your posts people wouldn't be consistently "missing the mark" when responding to your posts.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:51 PM

622 posts, read 410,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If you can't understand that you are under foreign laws when you are in a foreign country - then I suggest you go no further than Canada. Even they have laws that are not compatible with the US legal/moral system - but they are more likely to be lenient on you.
This is a point that is well made.

Due process in some other countries is very different than the US. What is considered criminal also varies and the penalties for crimes are also very different.

I am not sure there is any other country that has the equivalent of the Fifth Amendment ..... so the right to remain silent is non-existent in many countries.

When I have visited Malaysia, there are sizable posters on display at immigration and customs stating that possession of drugs is punishable by the death penalty - and they have carried it out in multiple instances when foreigners, including some Westerners, have been convicted.

Some may recall that in Singapore about 20 years ago or so, there was case where an American teenager vandalized property and he was convicted and sentenced to corporal punishment - I think it was a certain number of lashes with a cane. It caused a big outcry here but Singaporeans could not understand what the big deal was since that was the penalty for vandalizing property.

In much of the Middle East, foreign women are required to cover their heads with suitable attire - though not a hijab.

In the UK inciting racial hatred used to be a crime - not sure if it is still the case. Very different from the US where the First Amendment does not, for the most part, limit free speech.

There are other examples that I can cite but suffice to say that anyone who goes to a foreign country should be aware of the laws of those countries. Complaining about things being done differently in the US is just futile and naive.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,171,516 times
I really can't make it any clearer than I did and I even quoted a post that laid out the double standards, perfectly. It's not about the punishment, it's about the reactions and enablers.

This is part of the reason I hate bringing up race and racial double standards, too many people with their heads not where they're supposed to be, to put it nicely.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:07 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
What a douche bag Locktight, just had to be a narcisssitic douche bag and make Americans look bad

Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I really can't make it any clearer than I did and I even quoted a post that laid out the double standards, perfectly. It's not about the punishment, it's about the reactions and enablers.
But the reaction is that everyone is calling Lochte a thug, a douche, narcissist, a disgrace to the American people, saying he should be stripped of all his medals, extradited back to Brazil, thrown in jail... That he was probably out So late because he was looking to score drugs, was hooking up with prostitutes, doing even worse criminal acts than vandalism.... I could go on. So what exactly is the double standard in people's reaction?

Old 08-20-2016, 12:41 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its part of US Flag code, created in 1923. Its technically considered Federal law, but its not something that is enforced. No one is going to be fined or jailed for not putting their hand over their heart while the National Anthem plays at a ball game. Heck, most people can't even bother to put down their beer and nachos while the National Anthem plays, so its usually considered good enough if they at least remove their hat...
"technically"...because it's been ruled unconstitutional

Old 08-20-2016, 08:13 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
don't you even know the difference between extortion and ransom? you still have more learning to do
Actually it's you who needs to learn. Extortion is a demand for money under the threat of violence. Ransom is money paid to release someone from captivity.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
What is it with some people and their fetish for rituals. What is the big deal with the stupid hand over the heart thing anyway? I personally think it is ridiculous when people do it and even more so if they get upset when someone doesn't. Seriously, is it really some BFD to you?
Actually, BFD is your word, not mine. You're the one who's making a big deal about it.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:21 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
Some may recall that in Singapore about 20 years ago or so, there was case where an American teenager vandalized property and he was convicted and sentenced to corporal punishment - I think it was a certain number of lashes with a cane. It caused a big outcry here but Singaporeans could not understand what the big deal was since that was the penalty for vandalizing property.
It wasn't just lashes with a cane. Caning causes injuries that leave permanent scars. I'm not saying it was an inappropriate punishment, but just that the word "lashes" makes it sound not much worse than a spanking.

Last edited by eok; 08-20-2016 at 09:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events