Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:47 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times

Advertisements

I was disrobed once

in Brazil

I don't want to talk about it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM

258 posts, read 299,639 times
I think Lochte is a spaz, and his story is likely embellished a tad.

HOWEVER- as someone who has been robbed at gunpoint myself, I will give him some slack concerning inconsistencies in his story. I had enough peace of mind to immediately write down details and a description of the robber right after he had left the building, and I was stone sober. Even then, I was rattled. Had I not written stuff down, I would definitely have had issues remembering every detail. Lochte was likely intoxicated, tired, and in a foreign country. And his story probably did differ from the others-- it sounded like he had a different interaction with the robber/s than the other swimmers did.

The Brazilians have not had a good Olympics. This is just more national embarrassment to them and I am sure they want some sort of recourse. This just presented itself as an opportunity to get that.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Ya know, they gotta start having these Olympics in better places..........like Afghanistan or Iran !

Who picks these garden spots anyway ?

Don

Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 AM

264 posts, read 250,406 times
A slightly more detailed story than the NY Times one: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...io-gas-station

Old 08-18-2016, 10:56 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
The Brazilians have not had a good Olympics. This is just more national embarrassment to them and I am sure they want some sort of recourse. This just presented itself as an opportunity to get that.
But is it? Hearing that some Olympic athletes actually had their passports taken away during a police investigation where they were allegedly the victims isn't going to make foreigners think that Brazil or Rio is a safe place to go where justice is served. Maybe it is illegal to file a false police report, but it's not like they murdered a prostitute and were trying to flee.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 08-18-2016 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,876 times
Hmmmm.....drinking all night until the wee morning hours? Anythings possible.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:23 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
I think Lochte is a spaz, and his story is likely embellished a tad.

HOWEVER- as someone who has been robbed at gunpoint myself, I will give him some slack concerning inconsistencies in his story. I had enough peace of mind to immediately write down details and a description of the robber right after he had left the building, and I was stone sober. Even then, I was rattled. Had I not written stuff down, I would definitely have had issues remembering every detail. Lochte was likely intoxicated, tired, and in a foreign country. And his story probably did differ from the others-- it sounded like he had a different interaction with the robber/s than the other swimmers did.

Except it's not just Lochte's story. Each swimmer had a different story ... that's the problem.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
'Whatever'.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
Lohcte is a dumbass..they made up the story to cover up the fact they were shook down by a security guard (common in latin american and south american countries) when they got caught breaking down a door at a gas station to use the bathroom..do you know how much money he is going to lose in endorsement deals now?..dumb, dumb, dumb.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What did the Olympic swimmers possibly have to gain by making up a story about being robbed?

Brazil's incompetence and corruption are on display for the whole world to see. They can't even keep a swimming pool clean. All of our athletes should pack their stuff and leave. Right now.
Maybe they were attempting to buy drugs? They were out clubbing. I'm not really following the Olympics, were they all done with their events? Maybe they wanted to let loose and it was drug deal gone bad. But can't say that, so they say they were robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events