Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 10:09 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I always support our Veterans. He put his life on the line for our Country, and this is how the government repaid him? It's sad and disgraceful.
Not all servicemen serve active war duty putting their lives on the line. A vet is a personnel who served in military.. no more no less. So my bros are vets and never put their lives on the line...they did have some nasty mess hall food. But nah...their officer status kept them at a desk

The concern is procedure. The corporate owned hospitals charge outrageously. To have VA hospitals keeps cost in check so that the millions served...are served.

If you and millions others are okay with another tax hike to cover Corp hospitals that charge 4$ to dispense aspirin then let it be the consensus. I for one narrow down where the system is needing adjusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 10:41 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Medicare is an example of govt running health care. Have you ever heard a senior say he wishes he wouldn't have Medicare?

The VA isn't FUNDED well and doesn't have enough facilities. Remember Bush admin. closing a lot of VA locations in the midst of two wars (Afghanistan and Iraq)?

Funding takes taxes. Taxes that some people don't want to pay.

If it isn't funded well enough, then why do all these VA employees get bonuses every year?

The govt is the opposite of the private sector. In govt, the worse you perform, the more funding you get.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:07 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
You can’t blame the VA if someone kills themselves in their parking lot. At 76, the guy could have gone to any doctor, he also has medicare. I’m 75, a Vietnam vet and have never been inside a VA hospital. Most veterans have never been in a war zone, and have been out of the military by age 45, most by age 30.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
I might be in favor of dismantling the VA and giving the benefits as Medicare instead. Just make sure we continue to follow the VA motto, "to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan". They could all get SS and Medicare. Or if they would already qualify for those anyway, they could get extra amounts of those, as their VA benefits.

The only real advantage I can think of, that the VA has over that scheme, is that a lot of old veterans might talk to their old war buddies at the VA, or at a VA hospital, or wherever. If we decentralize it, are we taking away that benefit? Would long-term hospitalized veterans prefer to be with other veterans than with sick and wounded non-veterans?

Old 08-26-2016, 12:23 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Kaisen served in the U.S. Navy from 1958 to 1962, working on the USS Denebola, a ship that delivered refrigerated items and equipment to ships in the fleet, his friend said.

According to Farley, Kaisen was severely injured in a car accident while working as an officer for the Long Beach Police Department in the late 60's. After that, he was disabled, Farley said, and "had been on constant medication since."
Two sources connected to the hospital told the New York Times that Kaisen was upset he was unable to see an emergency-room physician for reasons related to his mental health.
“He went to the E.R. and was denied service,†one of the people, who currently works at the hospital, told the Times. “And then he went to his car and shot himself.â€
“Someone dropped the ball,†the worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the paper. "They should not have turned him away.â€
The hospital, meanwhile, reportedly said there was no indication Kaisen showed up at the E.R. prior to the incident.

The details of the immediate situation are spotty. When we get the little bit of history in the current reports, it gets even more spotty.

As someone has mentioned, not every veteran served in combat, and that included Kaisen--on a supply ship during a period of peace.

And that was a long time ago, with a police career--and a police-career-related disability--since then. As someone else has mentioned, Kaisen had access to multiple health care options.

It's not clear from the reports so far that Kaisen had even been under VA care. He arrived on off-hours to an ER--where understandably there would not by psychiatry staff on duty. It tend to support the idea that Kaisen had not been a regular patient at the VA if they had no clue what to make of him...otherwise his records would have showed he was on medication.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The only real advantage I can think of, that the VA has over that scheme, is that a lot of old veterans might talk to their old war buddies at the VA, or at a VA hospital, or wherever. If we decentralize it, are we taking away that benefit? Would long-term hospitalized veterans prefer to be with other veterans than with sick and wounded non-veterans?
The answer to that is "yes."

Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Are you kidding me, I want a private or semi private room and not be burden by someone that wants to tell me his war story’s.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:34 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
nonsense. Most vets like the VA. Lets not forget that almost 50% of health care spending is taxpayer money.

Do you hate the government run moon landing and the fire department as well?
Most vets, my ass! I want to know what you're smoking so I can tell people to stay the hell away from it.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
What's really sad is it's not as if any of our politicians give two ****. Despite what they say you know they just look at soldiers and veterans like used toiler paper.
President Bush loved those in the service as did President Reagan. President Eisenhower was a General in the Army, President Kennedy Served in the Navy I think. Many other presidents have served their nation in the service. Many Congress members have also served in the military. Here are a few people that have no respect for the Military: Bill Clinton, Barrack Obama, Hillary Clinton, to name just a few.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Most vets, my ass! I want to know what you're smoking so I can tell people to stay the hell away from it.
Most vets aren't using the VA. Of those who do, you have to look at satisfaction rates by location.

VA care varies enormously with location, and that's because the volume of clients varies enormously by location...some locations are far more popular retirement locations than others.

But Congressional budgeting tends not to allow for the differences in patient burden--Congress likes to keep the states close to equal in budget even though patient burden is nowhere near equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events