Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:13 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times

Advertisements

That was actually well done. What a hoot! It's just cake. And chocolate frosting. What's not to like about cake and chocolate frosting? Don't like it? More for everyone else!

I like that kid. He seems interested in the world around him and apparently actually goes outdoors. And it looks like he is not obsessed by fictional commercial characters. Would he have been less worthy of condemnation from the perpetually outraged if he had wanted a Pokémon cake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 07:26 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Several commentators claim "It's only a cake" and "It's only a child."

It isn't the cake, nor the request from a child that disturbs us. It's the fulfillment of the bizarre request by the parents. It's very concerning. Lines must be drawn at an early age as to what is and what isn't appropriate. The child thought it would be. The parents should have known better.

Saying no to a child is not abuse, mean or hurtful. Parents who think it is, paint a birthing cow on a birthday cake and argue that it's appropriate for a party.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Animal husbandry is a topic that should be welcome in any home WAY before some of the topics public education is shoving down our kids' throats.

Farm kids rule!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Several commentators claim "It's only a cake" and "It's only a child."

It isn't the cake, nor the request from a child that disturbs us. It's the fulfillment of the bizarre request by the parents. It's very concerning. Lines must be drawn at an early age as to what is and what isn't appropriate. The child thought it would be. The parents should have known better.

Saying no to a child is not abuse, mean or hurtful. Parents who think it is, paint a birthing cow on a birthday cake and argue that it's appropriate for a party.
And sometimes, "yes" is the right answer. As in this case. It was his birthday, he was asked to make a choice, and mom had the skills to make it happen. I think it's hysterical, well done Mom!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:10 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Okay, I'm not thinking "brat" or "spoiled", I'm thinking, "That kid is smarter than average and interested in things outside the box that some want to stuff kids in. He's going to invent something that will benefit us all someday." It's not like he asked for something entirely unreasonable - most kids his age have an idea of what they want their birthday cake to look like, most Moms that I know go out of their way to make it happen if it's not in the "cake you can pick up at the grocery store" realm (like, oh, Thomas the Train), and that's not spoiling the child unless he insists on such things every day of the year. It's his birthday, after all.

Huzzah to Mom for her persistence and creativity.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:14 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
Why on earth is this an occasion for outrage?

There was nothing remotely worthy of pearl-clutching horror about the request or the (really cool) Mom's acquiescence. The child's natural curiosity and interest in learning about the world is being indulged, not some sort of depravity.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:16 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And sometimes, "yes" is the right answer. As in this case. It was his birthday, he was asked to make a choice, and mom had the skills to make it happen. I think it's hysterical, well done Mom!
Totally! Its the kids birthday, the mom was able to use her skills and make it. Its not like he demanded a sports car and they mortgaged their house. It was a homemade cake. I think the mom did good! There is nothing wrong with granting birthday wishes.

I feel bad for the people here who are so angry someone went out of their way to make their kid happy on his birthday.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:50 AM

447 posts, read 487,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, I'm not thinking "brat" or "spoiled", I'm thinking, "That kid is smarter than average and interested in things outside the box that some want to stuff kids in. He's going to invent something that will benefit us all someday." It's not like he asked for something entirely unreasonable - most kids his age have an idea of what they want their birthday cake to look like, most Moms that I know go out of their way to make it happen if it's not in the "cake you can pick up at the grocery store" realm (like, oh, Thomas the Train), and that's not spoiling the child unless he insists on such things every day of the year. It's his birthday, after all.

Huzzah to Mom for her persistence and creativity.
Exactly, I'm totally with you.:-)

I think the kid has some imagination and intelligent mind. And kudos to his mom for going along with that. Nothing's wrong with cow giving birth cake, lol. I think it's refreshing to see child, who is curious and looking for something different. Different is good.:-)

Old 09-05-2016, 08:55 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
I think it was totally original and imaginative for both the child to request the cake and the Mom to make it - kudos to both. Look at it this way - back in the day there used to be what were called "Dolly Parton" cakes with "boobs" molded from one-cup molds, "dressed" in frosting bikinis. I even bought one for my office team (all guys) once when I was leaving a job and had it inscribed with "Thanks for the mammaries". Now something like THAT would be a lot more inappropriate for a child.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:05 AM

93 posts, read 95,936 times
Requesting a specific birthday cake makes the kid a brat? My kids are far from spoiled but they love coming up with fun birthday cake designs for me, my husband and themselves. It's a fun tradition for birthdays, calling a kid spoiled for that is ridiculous.

Last year, my husband got a deer dancing ballet wearing a tutu. The kids thought it was hilarious. When my daughter turned 3, she wanted a picture of herself being chased by a dinosaur. funny birthday cakes are sweet traditions that I hope my kids remember fondly. They don't get a party with friends every year, so i like making our family celebration memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events